Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 04:08 AM   #1

What is your dream camera?

I suppose I am not alone in lying awake on moonlit nights, sweating feverishly and tossing and turning amid fantasies of my dream beast. Anyway, let's not go there. Let's talk about your dream camera. What would it be?

Mine would be this:
  • Mirrorless
  • Full size 645 medium format Foveon X3 sensor, 50MP. (no aa filter)
  • Hybrid optical viewfinder in the syle of Fuji X100
  • Form factor of the Mamiya 6 (with collapsible lens mount), but with optional mount modules (instead of adapters) to take Pentax MF or Mamiya MF leaf shutter lenses or others.
  • Tilting 4" touch screen
  • 8 axis In body stabilization like the K3 or OM-D
  • Traditional dials for shutter, ISO, exp comp, and aperture rings on all the lenses, Not fly-by-wire, but mechanical controls.
  • 20EV dynamic range.
  • threaded shutter release, Flash sync socket, and inbuilt wifi flash commander.
  • Burst rate up to 30fps
  • wifi connectivitiy and tethering option
  • live time mode like OMD
  • nterval timer
  • weather-sealed as well as any Pentax or better, with a new range of WR lenses.

What it would definitely not have:
  • mirror box
  • scene modes, art modes, fancy program modes, food modes, selfie modes, fireworks modes, vomit modes etc. uugghh.
  • ridiculous levels of customization and options.
  • deep long menus
  • in camera editing

What I'm not sure about
  • Video. Would be cool to have UHD video, but then as a purist I like the idea of it not doing video at all.

So who could make this? Fuji? Phase One? Pentax? Sigma? My birthday comes up in February

08-05-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A big-ish camera there...
Could happen in, say, 15-20 years time? or 5 at a monstrous price point...
In particular, 20EV is quite a long shot...
08-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A big-ish camera there...
Could happen in, say, 15-20 years time? or 5 at a monstrous price point...
In particular, 20EV is quite a long shot...
Not so big! The Mamiya 6 is miniature when collapsed. Telephoto lenses would however, be a challenge. Hey 20 EVs I could live without it, but dreams are dreams.
08-05-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic F with Super Takumar 1.4/50.

08-05-2015, 04:41 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Since we're in dreamland. . . mine would be a digital K1000. Full frame, fully manual, complete with match-needle metering and exactly the same control layout. It's entirely possible with existing technology, but it'll never happen. It's too much of a niche market.
08-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many Pentaxians who would love a digital LX, but I would like one impossible dream in particular on a mirror-less, full-frame 40mp Pentax body.

A short lens mount-to-sensor distance and a series of adapters that would transfer all lens functions for lenses with any kind of mount, sort of a super updated Adaptall-2 system that would work for every kind of lens mount. Micro four-thirds bodies have adapters for just about every lens mount, including Leica & Contax rangefinder lenses, but only with manual aperture and manual focus and that tiny 4/3 sensor. How about a full-frame Pentax with interchangeable mounts that would allow infinity focus with auto-aperture and auto-focus transfer of Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji etc. lenses? It would almost be like a return to the universal thread mount (AKA: Pentax thread; Contax thread; S-thread; m42 thread, etc.)
08-05-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Dave - K1000 has all the controls I need. But an LED meter like the MX would be fine too, and better for the low light ability of digital sensors.

08-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

My K-30 - or whatever camera i happen to have on me at the time! I'm trying really hard not to fall into dreaming about cameras and stick with mine.
08-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote

What it would definitely not have:
  • mirror box
  • scene modes, art modes, fancy program modes, food modes, selfie modes, fireworks modes, vomit modes etc. uugghh.
  • ridiculous levels of customization and options.
  • deep long menus
  • in camera editing
AMEN to pretty much all of those take-it-out-of-my-camera.

QUESTION: How many Pentaxians have ever used in-camera editing? Would anyone who has or does please respond (come on - - CONFESS)
08-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
How many Pentaxians have ever used in-camera editing?
I've developed RAWs into JPEGs to see how they would look in black and white, but i never use that as a final version, i always edit the raw. So... no, i don't really use it.
08-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
[/LIST]AMEN to pretty much all of those take-it-out-of-my-camera.

QUESTION: How many Pentaxians have ever used in-camera editing? Would anyone who has or does please respond (come on - - CONFESS)
NO. NEVER. ON MY COLD, DEAD BODY.

08-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Fujifilm X-T1 is already pretty close to my dream camera. So... Why haven't I got one? It's a pretty expensive camera, and I'd have to buy a whole set of pretty expensive lenses, and then spend time familiarizing myself with it. Meanwhile, the cameras I've already got are already doing OK.

I guess I'm not much of a dreamer. But wait!

Many of my thoughts about future cameras revolve around the Pentax Q system and all the ginchy things that could be done with it, if Ricoh have any imagination. I'd love to see a premium "Super Q" made in a form-factor similar to the Olympus OM-D. I'd love to see a "Q Air" that's merely a camera module controlled wirelessly from my phone -- or maybe a "Q Module" that connects to the end of the phone like a DxO ONE. Or maybe even a "Q 3D" with two side-by-side Q mounts for taking stereo photos.

It's all possible, Ricoh. Breath some new life into this cute little system!

If you want something farther out in terms of digital camera technology. . . A reasonably priced, reasonable performing, large-format sensor would be a real game-changer. A 4X5 inch slab of silicon just isn't going to work. I'm thinking of something more like a 4X5 plate of ground glass with an array of mini-cameras behind it, each focused on a section of the glass, and firmware to automagically stitch the images together.
08-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote

If you want something farther out in terms of digital camera technology. . . A reasonably priced, reasonable performing, large-format sensor would be a real game-changer. A 4X5 inch slab of silicon just isn't going to work. I'm thinking of something more like a 4X5 plate of ground glass with an array of mini-cameras behind it, each focused on a section of the glass, and firmware to automagically stitch the images together.
That stitching idea is cool, but you only need multiple small sensors, not full cameras.
BTW: If you want view-camera digital, Plaubel made (still makes I think) a compact rail-and-bellows studio camera with ultra-precision movements of front and rear. It takes Hasselblad digital backs and special "digitally optimized" lenses made by Schneider. The camera body plus lowest mp Hasselblad back and cheapest Schneider lens would set you back about $50,000. Get one for your kids to learn the basics of photography.
08-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #14
Forum Member

There's no camera that's perfect...but I think the Nikon df is the closest thing to it!
It not only looks gorgeous, its images are fantastic and its low light performance is amazing.
It's only fault: its not a Pentax
08-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Megapixelmk Quote
There's no camera that's perfect...but I think the Nikon df is the closest thing to it!
It not only looks gorgeous, its images are fantastic and its low light performance is amazing.
It's only fault: its not a Pentax
And amen to that. I had held out vain hopes that the Pentax FF when introduced would have a similar retro design and features*. Too daring for Ricoh.

*Except I'd really like a tilting if not swiveling screen. Harder and harder to use the refconverter A for low-level macro shots.