Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To get back to original question - I still like the Sony RX1.

08-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
To get back to original question - I still like the Sony RX1.
I like the idea of it, but lack of viewfinder really limits its appeal for me. This strap on things are also limited in usability, as you still need to refer to the screen for exposure info etc.
08-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #63
Forum Member

Hmm.
Mine would be a square sensor 6x6 style. Same shape as a Rollei 6008i.
Keep the waist level view finder but replace the screen with an LCD display. IE no mirror.
Maintain compatibility with 6x7 lenses but a new mount that is KAF3 equivalent for the new 24-90mm f4 (35mm equiv) lens to go with it... Anti-shake - yes please!
And while we are at it. A seperate sliding shutter to protect the sensor from dust during lens changes.
Oh and new BIG batteries for 2000+ shots per day with screen on. Who cares if the battery weighs 200gms. It will still be the lightest thing on the camera.
And finally an Octo core processor for speed. No waits for review pics. 10+ frames per second shooting speed and power to spare.

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
My dream camera would be a Digital version of a Mamiya 6 with all the lenses. This camera would have a genuine Medium Format sensor, not a 35mm sensor packed with pixels like the canon 5Ds. It would also come with built-in tilt-shift, built-in Gradual ND filters and built-in ND filters and the ability to shoot at 1/8000 of a second . Forget all that Wi-Fi, GPS nonsense.
Actually as a Traveling photographer, I really appreciate GPS logging. Wifi I couldn't care less about though
08-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Do it yourself.
For black and white, totally agree. C41 and E6 is designed for automation though, so I imagine that a heaping of technology could make them both chemically and processing-ly superior to the current set!

As for crappy EVFs...
I'm sure evf's will continue to get better. And with micro optics as in the new A7RII, feel bigger. But they can't read the data off unexposed film!

08-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
What's the deal with kodachrome? Green cast, no dynamic range, no latitude, high contrast. Yuck. Provia kicked its butt.
We don't see that the same. Kodachrome has a red not green emphasis, lattitude was fine (at least with 64 which is what I used) and contrast while punchy was just right. Pretty fine B&W slide film as well if you skipped the dye step. Many shot at iso 80 but I shot at 64 unmodified with great results.

I have seen sources quoted showing 12 stops dynamic range for kodachrome and 8 for Provia. I suggest your results may be atypical. I shot almost all slides of various brands for over 25 years - Kodachrome was the best of these in 35mm in my opinion.
08-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttles12000 Quote
Hmm.
Mine would be a square sensor 6x6 style. Same shape as a Rollei 6008i.
Keep the waist level view finder but replace the screen with an LCD display. IE no mirror.
Maintain compatibility with 6x7 lenses but a new mount that is KAF3 equivalent for the new 24-90mm f4 (35mm equiv) lens to go with it... Anti-shake - yes please!
And while we are at it. A seperate sliding shutter to protect the sensor from dust during lens changes.
Oh and new BIG batteries for 2000+ shots per day with screen on. Who cares if the battery weighs 200gms. It will still be the lightest thing on the camera.
And finally an Octo core processor for speed. No waits for review pics. 10+ frames per second shooting speed and power to spare.

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 10:37 AM ----------

Actually as a Traveling photographer, I really appreciate GPS logging. Wifi I couldn't care less about though
Your big battery won't be so big if it has to power that huge sensor all the time for the live view, and a motor that stabilizes such a sensor will also drain be a challenge. That sliding shutter to protect the sensor sounds like a neat idea.

And the battery... why not split it up? Either in several batteries (maybe the ability to stack them when charging, so you don't have to swap all the batteries one by one, but charge them at once), or in a power bank you can carry in your pocket, backpack, camera bag, ... basically I wouldn't want to have a heavy brick from my arm, but if the weight is in a different location...
08-09-2015, 03:41 AM   #67
Forum Member

Well if the battery fitted in the base and was roughly the size of the base, then it would be 4 times the size of the old one. And given that the 6x4.5 one is good for 650 shots, a battery 4 times the size might just eek out a 2000 shot range. And would still weigh around 150 gms.
In truth, the lens will probably weigh more than the camera.

08-09-2015, 04:18 AM   #68
Veteran Member

My dream camera would be a K5IIs with close to perfect AF-C with Dual SD card slots for shooting sport and wildlife.
08-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I highly doubt camera makers have the electronics behind the sensor if they could avoid it. There will be good reasons for that... maybe the signal paths can't be too long? Especially Pentax is very keen on producing small cameras. I have no doubt that if they could do a better job in this area, they would.
There is a long cable connecting the sensor to the rest of it, what I meant is that the PCBs are just piled up behind the sensor, not actually physically mounted to it. Sony only now invented a sensor with the electronics mounted to the back of the sensor in the RX100 IV.

08-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Or they could just bring back Kodachrome and give us all the opportunity to once again use the greatest full frame sensor that ever existed.
I've never used Kodachrome si excuse my ignorance. If it was so great, why did they quit making it? sounds like everyone loved it!
08-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #71

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
There is a long cable connecting the sensor to the rest of it, what I meant is that the PCBs are just piled up behind the sensor, not actually physically mounted to it. Sony only now invented a sensor with the electronics mounted to the back of the sensor in the RX100 IV.

Come on guys, we all know the reason behind leaving all the empty space behind the sensor. Its for the inevitable SR version of the 645z, compatible with the new optically stabilised lenses to give us a massive 6EV's of image stabilization.
08-09-2015, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Fischer Quote
I've never used Kodachrome si excuse my ignorance. If it was so great, why did they quit making it? sounds like everyone loved it!
Expensive processing/chemicals that could only be used for Kodachrome. All other slide film (Including other Kodak transparency film) was using the E6 process.

And yes it was the greatest film of all time:

Phil.
08-09-2015, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Fischer Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Expensive processing/chemicals that could only be used for Kodachrome. All other slide film (Including other Kodak transparency film) was using the E6 process.

And yes it was the greatest film of all time:

https://youtu.be/wZpaNJqF4po

Phil.
They had to make the film in a huge, 24-hour-a-day batch run in absolute total darkness (it took a month to set up the manufacturing process and personnel navigated the plant by memory) and then slit and store a massive quantity of film for later sale. The chemicals also required significant volume to produce economically.

As film volumes declined the production and developing cost per unit became prohibitive.
08-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time I see "Kodak", my head seems to turn from side-to-side of it's own volition.
08-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FOLLOWUP: Just checked and the maximum receptor density of an eagle retina is about 1,000,000/square mm. To have the equivalent pixel density, a FF sensor would need about 864 mp.
If I'm not mistaken, eagles like most animals cannot perceive color - only rods, no cones in their eyes.