Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Help! 645z purple/green shadows

I just recently purchased a 645Z and a 28-45mm lens and am using LR5.7 to edit my photos. When I have been recovering shadow detail, I have noticed an extreme amount of purple in the shadows and some green undertones as well. I have been shooting my files in TIFF form. Am I pushing these files too hard? It sure doesn't seem like I am. Any help or suggestions on what to do? Is this normal for this camera?

Thanks,
Mark

08-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color noise perhaps? I'd recommend shooting in RAW, by the way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

I've never seen this kind of thing. I can push my 645Z files extremely hard, including ones shot at high ISO, with no signs of that sort of discoloration in the shadows or elsewhere. Of course there are many details unstated; with more info we might be able to offer something more concrete.

I do agree with Adam -- don't shoot in TIFF format. I can't imagine any benefit to doing so, and there are downsides. Shoot in raw, either DNG or the native Pentax PEF format. I use DNG myself. It's possible there's something weird going on with colour management in Lightroom with in-camera TIFF's.

Also, as another routine diagnostic, check the firmware version of your 645Z. If it's not the latest (1.21), you should update.
Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging
08-10-2015, 01:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markymarkrb Quote
I have been shooting my files in TIFF form
With In-camera processing? - I'd prefer to shoot .DNG and and leave any processing to my computer. Switching from .TIFF will also speed up image capture rates.

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
It's possible there's something weird going on with colour management in Lightroom with in-camera TIFF's.
It wouldn't be the first time.

08-10-2015, 01:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Gonna repeat the others, but don't shoot TIFF, use DNG instead. TIFF is a non-lossy format, but just like JPEG it stores only RGB data, which means that it's an already processed file.
08-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Do you guys shoot RAW+DNG or RAW DNG? My Phase One IQ180 only shot TIFF hence making the first mistake.

Mark
08-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #7

DNG is raw. You have a choice of shooting it, or Pentax's own raw format which is called PEF. Personally I'd recommend using DNG, especially if you have an Adobe-based digital workflow. DNG integrates much better with the Adobe tools in some ways, camera profiles and metadata among them. But there's no pragmatic difference in the image quality-related content that I know of.

This is not the case with TIFF. Like JPEG, TIFF is a "cooked" file. Even though TIFF isn't lossy-compressed like JPEG is, producing a cooked file out of the camera will place limits on what you can do in later processing. Unless you have specific reasons to do so like tight deadline-driven event shooting, it defeats some of the purpose to shoot a camera system like this and throw away a good measure of image tonal quality and editability before you ever even have a chance to get your hands on the files, particularly if you're doing processing like shadow detail recovery. And in the cases where you do want a cooked file in-camera, it's normally going to be JPEG that's more useful. I honestly don't know why TIFF support is included; I've never seen a need for it nor do I know anybody who has ever used it.

As for the Phase IQ180, it definitely has a raw format of its own as well, called IIQ. This is not a rendered TIFF. There may be some things you need to look into in your workflow...
08-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
So, it looks like the TIFF file was definitely the problem. Shooting RAW now and having no issues. Here is what the purple/green cast was looking like on some of my pictures with the shadow recovery. Thanks for all of the help.

Mark

Mark Benson Reeder Fine Art Photography

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
08-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markymarkrb Quote
My Phase One IQ180 only shot TIFF
So you never used Phase one's proprietary IIQ format?
08-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
No, I did. The files were IIQ as I was corrected to above. They were quickly uncompressed in Capture One into TIFF files hence my confusion.