Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #1

Viewfinder/Eye Piece issue on 645N

Hi!

I just recently invested in a Pentax 645N and some lenses… I shot the first roll on there as a test and seem to be having a very difficult time with the eye piece. It came with the original round eye cup. It's fine when I shoot landscape but when I turn the camera to shoot portrait, my eyelashes seem to bump the glass and project huge black shadows onto the viewfinder so I really can't see what I'm shooting. Is this a known problem with this particular eye cup? As I have been shooting a mamiya 645 for years and never ran into this issue.

Are there attachments or another eye cup by a third party that I can purchase to fit onto this piece and from where?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sara Louise Petty

Last edited by photolady95; 08-16-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: removed personal links
08-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saralouisepetty Quote
Hi!

I just recently invested in a Pentax 645N and some lenses… I shot the first roll on there as a test and seem to be having a very difficult time with the eye piece. It came with the original round eye cup. It's fine when I shoot landscape but when I turn the camera to shoot portrait, my eyelashes seem to bump the glass and project huge black shadows onto the viewfinder so I really can't see what I'm shooting. Is this a known problem with this particular eye cup? As I have been shooting a mamiya 645 for years and never ran into this issue.

Are there attachments or another eye cup by a third party that I can purchase to fit onto this piece and from where?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sara Louise Petty
I think you are referring to the large round but flat eyepiece. I have the same on mine. You are right about the problem. The user, well you and I at least, wants to put his eye close to the eyepiece but find that its flatness creates the problem you have described. The other issue and one I find more annoying is that the flatness prevents the eye from shielding the outside light.

You can learn to hold your eye further away and the intrusion of light is only a problem when the sun shines strongly from the wrong direction but when it does it is unpleasant

I mentioned this problem several years ago and while I never took any action it might be worth your while to look it up using search the forums. If I recall correctly there is a Nikon cup that is said to fit. Something called a D3 rings a bell. The Nikon cup allegedly cups the eye inside the eyepiece and should over come the problem you mention as well as the second problem I highlighted

Let us know how you get on

asahijock
08-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi there,

So a quick update. I purchased the attachment eye cup from B&H photo. It slips right over the round ring on the standard eye cup. It's great! Totally fixed the issues I was having. I definitely have a little trouble removing the film back, but just means a touch of jiggling. It also does feel like it may fall off if I don't be careful with it. I may add a little super glue, but so far I haven't had the issue of it falling off.

I'm happy I invested in the eye piece, as I was considering reselling this one and getting the 645NII which I think usually comes with the newer eye piece.

Going to test another roll this weekend.
Here is the eye cup I purchased;

Pentax O-EC107 Large Eye Cup 39897 B&H Photo Video

Cheers
Sara Louise Petty