Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1

For the Love of 6x7

Long ago and far away I had two 6x7 bodies and three lens. Situations and circumstances caused me to have to sell all. I never got over it. I decided it was time to build things back up again and found a beauty after diligent search. It comes with a 90 LS lens, handle and all caps. I also bought the 75 f4.5 late lens. Things are looking better. I loved this camera-superb photos taken with it over the years.

09-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a beaut.
09-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome back. There was a reason why this camera was the flagship of Pentax for many years.
09-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful, welcome back!

Phil.

09-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
Long ago and far away I had two 6x7 bodies and three lens. Situations and circumstances caused me to have to sell all. I never got over it. I decided it was time to build things back up again and found a beauty after diligent search. It comes with a 90 LS lens, handle and all caps. I also bought the 75 f4.5 late lens. Things are looking better. I loved this camera-superb photos taken with it over the years.

Congrats. These are real clean copies you got. Looks like they were never used. I have always wanted a 6x7 system. Never had a chance to get the camera but picked up a real clean 165mm LS a few years ago. I have shot with the less on a Canon and later on my Pentax K5IIs and K3 and the results are spectacular. One of these days I will get a camera. I want to put a few rolls of Fuji Velvia through it before the film is discontinued... or has it been already.

I have an old Hassy body with one lens. I will trade the Hassy for the Pentax 6x7 body in a heart beat.

Last edited by btnapa; 09-08-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
09-07-2015, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Original Poster
I searched for two weeks and this seem to be the less worn of any others I found. The lens looked great as well. I'm especially happy about the fact the camera has the split image screen. I just ordered Tri-X, FP-4, Delta 400 and a roll of 120 Provia for testing. Too bad Kodak doesn't supply VPS anymore. That was my go to film for portraits and weddings-simply superb skin tones.

I suppose the next up lens will most likely be the 55 f4 followed by the 165 f2.8. I think I'll be set then. I'm not sure what that "Gonna" thing is on the cold shoe of the handle.

---------- Post added 09-07-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

I did a photo essay of the Mennonite Community some years ago with both the 35mm and 6x7. This was one of my favorites with the 6x7 and 90 f2.8 lens...shot with Agfapan 400 and developed in Rodinal.

09-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

A thing of beauty they are - and they create the best dang looking slides I've ever seen.

09-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
...AND, the biggest you'll likely see. I carried one of these around many days during the '82 World's Fair and did a fair share of shooting at night. Best I recall I used Ektachrome 50(Tungsten) and the results were superb. I made Cibachrome's out of some of them they turned out so well. An example...
09-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #9
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Precious gem !
09-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I searched for two weeks and this seem to be the less worn of any others I found. The lens looked great as well. I'm especially happy about the fact the camera has the split image screen. I just ordered Tri-X, FP-4, Delta 400 and a roll of 120 Provia for testing. Too bad Kodak doesn't supply VPS anymore. That was my go to film for portraits and weddings-simply superb skin tones.

I suppose the next up lens will most likely be the 55 f4 followed by the 165 f2.8. I think I'll be set then. I'm not sure what that "Gonna" thing is on the cold shoe of the handle.

---------- Post added 09-07-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

I did a photo essay of the Mennonite Community some years ago with both the 35mm and 6x7. This was one of my favorites with the 6x7 and 90 f2.8 lens...shot with Agfapan 400 and developed in Rodinal.

Superb photo of the Mennonite child ColColt. A Lewis Hine evoking quality. Enjoy!
09-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Superb photo of the Mennonite child ColColt. A Lewis Hine evoking quality. Enjoy!
Thanks and yes, both he and Margaret Bourke-White.

---------- Post added 09-08-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

Speaking of Mr. Hine, this photo reminds me so much of a cotton mill in Charlotte, NC where I grew up. In the summer months I worked at Highland Park Manufacturing Co., one of three mills run by them. I worked in the spooler room and as you can see, this cart is filled with quills or bobbins used for spinning yarn for the spoolers. I got more than one splinter raking up the bottom of that cart to dump them into the Schlofhorses(sp?) at the other end of the spooler room.

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in that and went to college instead of being a sweeper in a now defunct cotton mill.!!
rompedas: FACES OF LOST YOUTH
09-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks and yes, both he and Margaret Bourke-White.

---------- Post added 09-08-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

Speaking of Mr. Hine, this photo reminds me so much of a cotton mill in Charlotte, NC where I grew up. In the summer months I worked at Highland Park Manufacturing Co., one of three mills run by them. I worked in the spooler room and as you can see, this cart is filled with quills or bobbins used for spinning yarn for the spoolers. I got more than one splinter raking up the bottom of that cart to dump them into the Schlofhorses(sp?) at the other end of the spooler room.

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in that and went to college instead of being a sweeper in a now defunct cotton mill.!!
rompedas: FACES OF LOST YOUTH
ColColt,
I'm in Mt. Holly and the mountains and also grew up in the "old" Dilworth prior to gentrification. I'll keep an eye down at Biggs for any 6x7 equipment coming through as they get lots of MF equipment on trade in from retired folks parting from careers and going small. 645's, etc. are frequent. Teaching Hine and Lange in a historical context to surrounding mills was always a shock to clueless 8th graders.
09-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

Original Poster
I guess the old South 29 drive in has been gone for years. Lots of good memories there. I suppose at one time there were at least 3-5 mills in Charlotte alone, not counting the hosiery mills. The one I worked at on Davidson St. is now a bunch of condos. All the old warpers, winders, spoolers, card room, etc got sold years ago.

Another great lens is the 75 f2.8 but they're like hens teeth and expensive when you do find one.

Last edited by ColColt; 09-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.
09-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Thanks for sharing your recent acquisition ColColt, but more importantly to me, letting me discover the work of Hine.

As for the 6x7 / 67, I recently bought a 6x7. I had already amassed a few 67 lenses for use with my 645N and then 645D. I've only had a chance to put one roll of colour negative film through it ( I generally shoot/develop B&W or colour slide) and I'm very happy with the results. That was such an evocative photo of the Mennonite boy that you shared, thanks again.
09-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #15

Original Poster
I was always most happy with the Pentax 6x7. I shot quite a few weddings and portraits with those cameras and a few family reunions. I did bridal settings of which the one below was one of my favorites. Shot with VPS 400 and the 165 f2.8 LS lens, one light source- a Photogenic PL1500 bare bulb inside a Westcott 28" Recessed Apollo and a 42" white reflector to her left with a hair light above about two feet.

If you liked Hine you may like Walker Evans as well.