Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

6x7 Light Seals

Having just bought a 6x7 I started wondering if perhaps the light seals may be needed replacement. I've ran across two possible sources with one being on the forum and the other on ebay sold by a German fellow. Any ideas as to which would work the best as they look a bit different.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax67/LightSeal/Pentax67LightSeal.php

13 Pcs Light Seal Kit Precisely Precut Pentax 6x7 67 incl Reserve Dampers | eBay

09-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I would be really surprised if your mint looking Asahi Pentax needed seals. Even my old Honeywell non-MLU has not needed them. The non-lock up Honeywell/Asahi are generally the ones that have trouble though (serial numbers 401xxxx, 402, 403, 404 etc). Newer cameras could need seals if stored in hot conditions.
09-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Very true but, it is old. If it gets here as expected(Friday) I'll have a look-see.

---------- Post added 09-08-15 at 03:06 PM ----------

One thing I thought a bit odd wee the two top and bottom far right cuts on the pressure plate. I don't recall my old ones having that. What would that be for?

09-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got the one in the first link from Japan, http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax67/LightSeal/Pentax67LightSeal.php
The ones in my 6x7 was like tar so it was time to change them. Two sets and alot of extra foam to play with on other cameras.
I put the light seal on the prism, not on the body. The fit is pretty exact.

09-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
What's confusing is the one from Japan shows him in the video going all the way around the hinged door. The kit from the German fellow doesn't show that but rather just two seals for the top and bottom inside areas as depicted in his sketch.
09-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
Having just bought a 6x7 I started wondering if perhaps the light seals may be needed replacement. I've ran across two possible sources with one being on the forum and the other on ebay sold by a German fellow. Any ideas as to which would work the best as they look a bit different.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax67/LightSeal/Pentax67LightSeal.php

13 Pcs Light Seal Kit Precisely Precut Pentax 6x7 67 incl Reserve Dampers | eBay
I bought the seals from the Japanese guy for my 6x7 prism, they fit well and now the prism has a nice tight fit. It was way harder getting the old one off without scratching the prism glass than putting the new one on.

Phil.
09-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it is not needed below the pressure plate but it does not hurt beeing there. No leaks before and after I put it in. The only thing that I was worried about was when cleaning of the old tar like substance was the shutter curtain so I opened it using time exposure (setting the shutter dial between B and 1000) and removed the battery during the operation. Also no lens.
The door closes easily but is a little harder to open if I dont depress it a little.
09-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I bought the seals from the Japanese guy for my 6x7 prism, they fit well and now the prism has a nice tight fit. It was way harder getting the old one off without scratching the prism glass than putting the new one on.

Phil.
I recently replaced to door seal on a Nikon FTN Photomic and it was harder getting the old stuff off. I used denatured alcohol, paper towels and bamboo stick to get it all out. Replacement was a piece of cake compared to getting the old gooey one off.

09-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, got the camera and two lens today. What a super nice body-as good or better than my old one from years ago and zero brassing. KEH would probably rate this one EX+. The lenses are the same condition. I guess I lucked out as the meter is also spot on tested against a reliable source. I had kept the yellow filters I had and had the 67 and 82mm filters needed for these two lens-great.

Tomorrow I'll run a roll of Tri-X through it. I replaced the battery that was in the camera(unknown to me brand) with a new lithium Duracell 28L which replaces the L544. Two things I noticed quickly. The 75 f4.5 is a bit dark through the viewfinder on a cloudy, very overcast day, such as today. Moreover, I saw the need for a +0.5 diopter in my near future.
09-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
Well, got the camera and two lens today. What a super nice body-as good or better than my old one from years ago and zero brassing.
I just bought a Pentax 6x7 and I got mine today also. Luckily, mine too is in super condition (no brassing and no scratches). This is my first medium format camera so (unlike you) I'm starting from the beginning. Mine came with 105mm 2.4. Unfortunately, I don't have any 120 film on hand so I have to wait a couple of days before I can shoot it. My prism has no meter and this will be my first usage of a separate light meter (bought a vintage Gossen Luna Pro).
09-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
I ordered a fresh battery and film in advance so it would be here when the camera/lens got here. It was like Christmas today-all of it came at once. Remember about the 105 lens, f-stops will be a little more shallow compared to 35mm. In other words, f4 on a 35mm camera will give more dof than the same f-stop on a normal lens for 6x7.

Luna Pro is good. Be sure if you're using a 1.5v battery to remember it's going to be off about 1/3-1 stop and adjust accordingly. I have a Luna Pro SBC that doesn't use the old 1.35v battery but a 9v instead so, no compensation needed.