Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
6x7 malfunction

I bought my first medium format rig (Pentax Asahi 6x7) recently on eBay. The camera doesn't have a scratch on the exterior. I tested the battery (pushing the button) and the led came on. I loaded up a roll of film and shot 5 frames a week ago and then brought it out again today to finish my first roll. On my first shot today, it didn't go as expected. It sounded like the shutter stayed open. I tried the film advance lever and the lever advanced repeatedly although it didn't feel like film was advancing (and the counter did not increment). Once I came to my senses, I remembered that the shutter is electronically controlled. I pressed the battery test button and the led did not light. Hopefully, just a new battery is needed.

I put the camera away, as I didn't want to make a bad situation worse. I didn't take off the lens to see the mirror. I will get a new battery for it.

What are the things that I should (and should not) do? My first roll of film is currently half-way through. This is my first 6x7 (and first medium format), so the whole thing is new to me. I've sent 35mm cameras to Eric before for servicing. Does it sound like this is just a dead battery, or something bigger? Which replacement battery is recommended?

That big ka-chunk is addictive and most satisfying (on my first 5 shots). I believe that I'm hooked on this style rig and don't want to throw in the towel. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

09-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #2

Get a new battery and try again. Be sure the MLU was not set when you put it away. This drains the battery.
If the camera is broken, get a dark bag and take out the film and wind onto the take up reel and develop your exposed frames.
Here are a couple videos on the camera:
Good luck!
09-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I just replaced the battery and there is no change (other than the battery check led now lights up). I took off the lens and the mirror is locked up.

Anything else that might be simple to check or do? Can it be repaired?

Thanks.
09-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

To have the mirror stay in the locked up position is quite common for older 67s. In some cases, the mirror will drop when the battery is pulled. Yours doesn't sound like one of them. It requires a repair; however since you just bought this camera, some sort of compensation should be tendered by the seller.

09-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Take the battery out, press the reset switch, the mirror should reset. Put the battery back in (observe correct polarity). Make sure the shutter speed dial is not in between numbers - that's a common cause of this behavior.

Regards,
Sterling