Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Advice for a 645 noob?

I've put together a kit: an original 645 with 2 backs, A 75/2.8, and A 120/4 Macro. I have some Portra 160 and T-Max 400. How should I go about all of this? Shoot a roll of the B+W and see how she meters before shooting the rest? From what I've read the OG 645 meters fairly consistently. Please keep in mind that this is my first exposure to film photography...I'd hate to shoot 5 rolls and spend all that $$$ to have 75 blobs come back

09-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just shoot it like how you have been shooting your digital gears, only with the knowledge that your highlights won't get easily blown out as on digital.. Go! And enjoy! Don't worry too much about it..
09-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are you getting developing done? Scanning?
If you're sending out for developing, B&W developing usually cost more, so you might want to shoot the Portra first to see how the camera works.
Assuming the meter is working, the Pentax 645 is a great camera and should give you great results.
With C-41 film, Portra especially, I wouldn't get to worried about absolutely perfect exposure. As long as you're within a stop you'll get good images.
As far as the camera goes, rea the manual, as some things like film loading and setting ISO aren't that intuitive.
Be careful with the battery holder, it can break fairly easy.
09-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Sync Guy and Colton. Film is getting sent out for processing and scanning. If I like this I'll entertain the idea of doing it myself.

I've been able to get the details set, thanks to Nesster's fantastic write-up in the 645 review. I'll be starting on a tripod and double checking everything. Each squeeze of the shutter needs to count!

The battery holder seems like it was made from the very first plastic known to science. I'm afraid to even look at it.

09-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
The battery holder seems like it was made from the very first plastic known to science. I'm afraid to even look at it.
Ya, my 645 had a broken battery holder and it took forever to find a replacement.

The P645 actually works quite well handheld.
Getting good scanning done will be very important. Research whoever you're planning on sending your film to.
09-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've shot a roll of each and I must say that it was very intuitive and a lot of fun! We'll see how steady my hands are at 1/30

Looking forward to getting these developed!
09-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
... We'll see how steady my hands are at 1/30
A lot of people think they can hold their camera steady at 1/30 and less. Perhaps so but you can test it out if you have a digital camera. Put the camera in live view mode and use the zoom-in feature of the LCD screen. Now hold it steady. I have not seen anyone hold it very steady. You heart beats at roughly two times in that 1/30th of a second putting a little pulse into the human tripod hands and arms. But bigger and heavier cameras I think are easier to hold steady due to their mass/inertia.

Also BW film has a LOT of exposure latitude as well as the new Kodak Portra color negative films. You do not need to worry about precise exposure. But you do need to worry about how the light meter responds to the typical problematic scenes.

09-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have fun! I'd try a roll or two, see how it turns out. Do you have to send it out of town to get delivered? If not, I'd get them dev'd as you shoot, quicker feedback for problems.