Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Cleaning Mirror

I need to clean the mirror on the 6x7 but am a bit hesitant. Can someone recommend a method and/or liquid to use as to not scratch it? I have lens cleaning tissue from Kodak and their cleaning fluid. Would this work if done gently?

09-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nooo, nononono ... nope. You are right to be hesitant.

The mirror is extremely fragile and can easily be scratched, according to most accounts it is even more fragile than the sensor. Do not touch it with anything, and definitely not with lens cleaning equipment. Lenses are super hard, you probably couldn't scratch a lens if you pulled tweezers over it (someone did that on Youtube and nothing happened).

I think there are special mirror cleaning kits available online, albeit quite pricey. You can blow any dust off the mirror with a blower, but that's as far as I would go.
09-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
I sort of thought that. It appears to be specks of some sort, kind of like tiny rain drops but few. I had originally thought of blowing my breath on it and lightly going over it with lens cleaning tissue but something held me back. I did clean a mirror long ago without any repercussions but it gave me an uneasy feeling doing so. This time I didn't want to push my luck. I tried blowing it off with the Rocket blower to no avail then a few short blast from Dust Off but it did little good.
09-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
the mirror is extremely fragile and can easily be scratched, according to most accounts it is even more fragile than the sensor.
The Pentax 67 does not have an imaging sensor. I use a artists fan brush to clean dust off mirrors, and mirror box components. Just be careful as there are some oiled components in the mirror box, the last thing you want is to smear oil over the mirror.

09-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The Pentax 67 does not have an imaging sensor.
I know. But everyone knows how careful DSLRs' sensors should be handled, so I threw it in as a comparison.
10-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dust, etc, on the mirror has absolutely no effect on image quality! If you see specks or whatever they are probably on the viewing screen, and they have no effect on image quality. I'd absolutely leave the mirror alone!
10-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
I realize that. It's just bothersome to look at when you're focusing.

10-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
I realize that. It's just bothersome to look at when you're focusing.
Agreed. Removable screens can be cleaned, but be VERY careful. Most are plastic, as I'm sure you know, and will scratch easily. I've seen various recommendations, such as a very mild detergent and "pure" water applied with a sable brush or similar, then rinsed in distilled water and dried in a dust free environment. I imagine that other Pentaxians have better advice.
10-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
In this case it's not the screen but the mirror...I can see stuff on it.