Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Changing focus screen in Pentax67?

Hi, I have Pentax 67 with matte and split image focus screen.
I'm often using non central part of focus screen (that with matte) to confirm focus, and split image (no micro prism) is not ideal in many situations.
I also have other focus screen - only matte on all surface area.

My question is: Can I change that focus screen myself? Without specialized lab to do that?
I mean focus screen is not put in any frame, and seems delicate.
Also do I need some focus/exposure calibrations after changing matte?
I don't want to have over/under exposed photos after that, or for example I see sharp image in viewfinder, while fotos have focus shift etc.

Maybe stupid questions, but I just don't know.
Change focus screen in Nikon F4 is just takin one out and puting another in.

09-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I can say, yes, you can change the screen on a 6x7/67. But I can't say if you need to calibrate it. I changed mine using a 67II screen and it seems to be okay. The operation would be for a do-it-yourself kind of person, handy with tools and typically can figure things out.

You will need to make a special tool or if you have something that will work as a socket spanner tool to get the front pointed guide pins off that double-duty as fasteners holding things together too. Or you can use a brute force method using a pair of pliers or vise grips to taken them off. It will most likely leave a mark on the pins but functional.

Next you want to take care about some really small brass washers that are used to shim the height and fit of the prism when it snaps in while removing the pieces to get to the focus screen. Mine had more than one washer per post. The focus screen is pressed and held in place by some leaf springs. I don't recall there being any adjustments to it at all.
09-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #3

67ii screen is designed to be user-interchangeable. The original 6x7 or 67 is not.

Trust me it's not worth wrecking a $300 camera over. Eric Hendrickson will do it - he charged me $60+shipping a couple years ago.
09-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
OK I did research. On 67 (not 6x7 and not 67II) it seems to be doable but after that focus calibration (precise) is needed.
I will give up.
My photos are sharp now, and I don't want to loose it.
I often use 165 lens wide open, so focus is critical.....
BTW: is there anybody who sells 300/4 ED or 400/4 ED for P67?

09-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MorgothV8 Quote
OK I did research. On 67 (not 6x7 and not 67II) it seems to be doable but after that focus calibration (precise) is needed.
I will give up.
My photos are sharp now, and I don't want to loose it.
I often use 165 lens wide open, so focus is critical.....
BTW: is there anybody who sells 300/4 ED or 400/4 ED for P67?
Calibrated? Do you think I could nail the focus on this shot if the focus was not working? I changed the focus screen on the Pentax 6x7 I used to snap this shot. Perhaps I got lucky. But like I said, the screen fits butted up against the body of the camera. I didn't see how you could adjust it other than putting spacers on the focus screen itself to shim it away from the body. But I should also note I do not use a prism. I use the folding hood and that could maybe make a difference.

Last edited by tuco; 09-25-2015 at 09:51 AM.
09-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
Photo is superb.
I've read about mini-screws to move lens up-down - let's say "adjustment screws" - but to be honest - didn't try to dismount my P67 yet.
09-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photo is superb.
I've read about mini-screws to move lens up-down - let's say "adjustment screws" - but to be honest - didn't try to dismount my P67 yet.
Thanks.

If the top surface of the screen is what is critical for calibrating focus, then the new screen will fit the same way as the old screen because changing screen does not change the location/height of screen in the camera. But Paul's advise is good. If in doubt, let an experienced person do it.

By the way, I recently replaced my Mamiya 7II with a that Fuji GSW690III. I've really bonded with that camera and I see you have one too.

09-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes but I'm newbie, I've posted photos on "Pentax MF photos" those "wider" are from Fuji GSW 690.
It is really superb for Infrared because it is rangefinder.
BTW: Fuji GSW III 690 & Fuji Velvia 100.
First photo: full frame, 2nd 100% 1:1 crop from it.
Scanned by Nikon CoolScan at 4000 DPI:

Last edited by MorgothV8; 09-25-2015 at 10:35 AM.
09-25-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #9

Yes but I'm newbie, I've posted photos on "Pentax MF photos" those "wider" are from Fuji GSW 690.
It is really superb for Infrared because it is rangefinder.
BTW: Fuji GSW III 690 & Fuji Velvia 100.
First photo: full frame, 2nd 100% 1:1 crop from it.
Scanned by Nikon CoolScan at 4000 DPI:
Fuji makes some top-shelf gear across the board, from 35mm to LF. They can compete on a level playing field with Zeiss, Schneider, or Nikon. However, they do a really shitty job of marketing and distributing their gear in the Western world so they're relatively unknown. Maybe it's better in Japan, dunno.

This is compounded by the fact that their nomenclature didn't give a way to distinguish optically different versions of a lens with the same aperture and focal length. You know how there's some Super Takumar lenses where you have to know the secret handshake to tell them apart? Like the 7-vs-8 element 50/1.4, or the 35/2? That's every lens in the Fujinon lineup. Writing being on the inside, or outside, or in a different font can all signal drastically different lenses. In some cases this can be up to 30mm of difference in coverage. Only a handful of lenses have distinguishing series numbers (like -CMW or -A).

Here's a panorama I made with my GS645 folder by taking a pair of shots and running them through Auto Stitch in Photoshop. Wide open and slow, 1/30 and f/3.4, handheld.

And here's a 1:1 crop on the high-tension tower you can see down in the valley near the bottom right: