Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Cable release plug broken I think

I want to believe it's me but I fear not. I was on a shoot this weekend and the cable release stopped working. Given that they are generally 15 cent pieces of hardware I wasn't too concerned initially. However, further investigation when I got back suggested that the actual plug on the camera is a bit wiggly so it appears to have worked its way loose. Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas? I ended up shooting on the 2 second timer but that i snot my ideal solution.

I leave for a trip in 2.5 weeks so I think repair right now isn't an option.

Suggestions welcome.

09-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

You don't say what camera -- 645Z? My 645Z's cable release socket broke a few weeks after I had the camera. It went back to Pentax for repair, which took 10 weeks, and was dealt with under warranty. About 5 months later, the socket broke again. I couldn't be without the camera for another 10 weeks, and the repair likely would have been considered off warranty, therefore costing me $ as well as down time. So I've been using the IR wireless remote release, which I really don't like. I will send the camera in for repair again when things slow down, and eat the repair cost I guess.

I know of other broken cable sockets, unfortunately, so I'm concerned the socket will break again after after being repaired the 2nd time...
09-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
sorry yes, the 645Z. So the wireless remote doesn't have a transmitter plut into the cable release socket? That could work as a for now workaround.
09-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #4

The Pentax IR wireless remote (or various 3rd-party ones) uses the IR sensors built into the camera. There's one on the front & one on the back. It's not an ideal solution, but will keep you going while you decide what to do about the broken wired socket.

10-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Royce, I ended up picking one up, quite a relief that it has a built in IR sensor as opposed to using the release socket or even hotshoe. I bought the 645Z at the beginning of October 2014 apparently so I got in touch with the dealer just in time as I'm away mid October for 3 weeks so may have had issues. As an added bonus, he said 3-4 weeks. Or am I being naive expecting it to be 3-4 weeks?
10-02-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Same things has happened with mine. I've managed to do movement free bulb exposures by being really gentle on the shutter or using an IR remote.
10-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

If you're talking repair timelines, I've never experienced 3 - 4 week turn around on any Pentax service, and I've had to send in bodies and lenses several times. The fastest turn around was 8 weeks, the slowest was 22 weeks. Your dealer may say 3 - 4 weeks but he's not in charge, the Ricoh service department is. If you send it in for repair, do so at a time when your shooting plans will allow you to be without the camera for a couple of months, to be safe on the safe side.

I've gotten jammed up repeatedly by lengthy repair times. It's really by far my single biggest frustration with the Pentax system; everything else I can pretty well deal with or work around...