Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Recommended carrying solution for 645?

I went on a trip to Japan recently and came back as the proud owner of a Pentax 645 (original model), together with an 80-160mm f/4.5 zoom lens.
Now the thing is that this is a heavy beast, and the long zoom lens makes it even more unwieldy. I did not get the original strap with it, only the two small
metal mount points are protruding from the camera.

My camera store around the corner said they can't get the original from Pentax/Ricoh (no surprise there), and recommends that I buy one that can be attached to the
tripod mount.

Now my question is, is that a good solution or should I rather be looking for a) a used original strap or b) some kind of third-party strap that goes on the proper strap mount?

10-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a peak design Slide with attached to a arca Swiss plate and one standard strap lug. It is adjustable and wide so spreads the weight excellently with my 645z and 28-45mm.
10-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eypandabear Quote
I went on a trip to Japan recently and came back as the proud owner of a Pentax 645 (original model), together with an 80-160mm f/4.5 zoom lens.
Now the thing is that this is a heavy beast, and the long zoom lens makes it even more unwieldy. I did not get the original strap with it, only the two small
metal mount points are protruding from the camera.

My camera store around the corner said they can't get the original from Pentax/Ricoh (no surprise there), and recommends that I buy one that can be attached to the
tripod mount.

Now my question is, is that a good solution or should I rather be looking for a) a used original strap or b) some kind of third-party strap that goes on the proper strap mount?
You can easily find the original straps on eBay.

Regards

Chris
10-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another option is a strap made by Op Tech. I use one on a P6x7 to great effect.

10-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

I'd second lenticular's suggestion. The Op Tech is very good

asahijock
10-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

Is there any recommendation for a wrist/hand strap for a 645D/Z which makes use of the RRS plate's lug and the original strap lug? I was thinking of the Nikon wrist strap but unfortunately its lower strap is too wide and as such it does not fit the RRS plate's lug.

Thanks and best regards,
Udo
10-10-2015, 03:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by desertdiver Quote
Is there any recommendation for a wrist/hand strap for a 645D/Z which makes use of the RRS plate's lug and the original strap lug? I was thinking of the Nikon wrist strap but unfortunately its lower strap is too wide and as such it does not fit the RRS plate's lug.

Thanks and best regards,
Udo
I don't like a wrist strap on the Z as it is too heavy. But the Peak Design Clutch fits it ok with their own plate. If the RRS plate lug faces the gip side of the camera and will accept a small strap being passed through it I can't see why the Clutch wouldn't work

10-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #8

I use Op Tech too and an fstop backpack.
10-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the original strap but, I have a coushion that wraps around the strap where it fits behind the neck.