Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #31
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
all we see is the past, which is notoriously unreliable as a guide to the future, in these matters.
+1 I definitely agree with that statement

10-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #32

You do understand that you are posting to a medium format forum where the smallest current sensor is 50 MPs. I figured the audience for my comments would be fellow Pentax 645D and 645Z users and that I wouldn't be saying anything especially untoward. I own every 50 MP DSLR on the market priced below $8k. I know what I am doing and what I want. I was prepared to add the A7r II to my kit as well but stopped short when the spec page was released. My hope was for Pentax to step across the 50 MP threshold with the new FF but I wasn't betting the farm on it. That leaves Nikon with a chance to earn my business in 2015/2016 though I would have rather it had been the Sony.

I shot with the D800E for several years and 36 MP was going in the right direction at the time. It is sometimes difficult to convey a preference for certain specifications without someone taking offense. Suffice it to say that I believe you will absolutely love your new FF camera with 36 MP especially if the sensor is the same or better than that in the 645z.

Last edited by rfkiii; 10-26-2015 at 04:18 PM.
10-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Oooooohhh.... the idea of mirrorless MF makes me weak in the knees!
10-31-2015, 04:22 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Thank you for taking your time and writing this. Very interesting points and thoughts.
I enjoyed/appreciated your post. Thanks for sharing and some cause for optimism.

10-31-2015, 04:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Good info thanks.

Here in Seattle the pro shop is Glazer's Camera. About 30 years ago when I bought my first medium format camera, Pentax had a significant presents there. But the Pentax logo began to disappear more and more the further we entered the digital era. On my last visit to the store, however, I finally saw a 645Z. The salesman gladly handed it over when I asked about it.

I asked if there was a Pentax sales rep now and he said, no. They just bought the camera on their own and stocked it because of the demand. Ricoh has deep pockets. I think all any Ricoh rep has to do is show up at what remains of big camera stores with some medium format gear in hand and they should have no problem getting back in the stores.
10-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I asked if there was a Pentax sales rep now and he said, no. They just bought the camera on their own and stocked it because of the demand. Ricoh has deep pockets. I think all any Ricoh rep has to do is show up at what remains of big camera stores with some medium format gear in hand and they should have no problem getting back in the stores.
IIRC Ricoh Imaging USA had two booths at a recent major USA imaging convention (DK which one) - a display booth and a private conference room nearby right on the main floor. The conference room was to present their Dealer Agreements and terms, and attempt to get new distributions.

I don't think they 'walked away' with an armload of contracts.
10-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC Ricoh Imaging USA had two booths at a recent major USA imaging convention (DK which one) - a display booth and a private conference room nearby right on the main floor. The conference room was to present their Dealer Agreements and terms, and attempt to get new distributions.

I don't think they 'walked away' with an armload of contracts.
Pentax is pretty healthy in Canada and here in Vancouver we have many "bricks & mortar" camera stores that carry Pentax.

We also have a Western Canada Drugstore chain where you can check out Pentax gear while you are waiting for your prescription to be filled.

They can also special order a 645z for you:

Pentax 645Z Body - 16599 - London Drugs

Phil.

10-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Pentax is pretty healthy in Canada and here in Vancouver we have many "bricks & mortar" camera stores that carry Pentax.

We also have a Western Canada Drugstore chain where you can check out Pentax gear while you are waiting for your prescription to be filled.

They can also special order a 645z for you:

Pentax 645Z Body - 16599 - London Drugs

Phil.
Even in Medicine Hat I can order it from two local places, one of which is London Drugs. In Calgary Pentax is well represented at thecamerastore and at Seneal I think the other place is called. Vista only carry the K mount cameras.
10-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You got your own service, too.

Until recently Pentax Canada was separate from Pentax USA - now, not so much.