Interesting that no votes for 5DS !!
interesting but not surprising.

10-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel Quote
Interesting that no votes for 5DS !!
I know very little about the Canon's. If I were to jump ship from Pentax I would research and then either end up in the M4/3 world with Olympus or end up in another APSC camera from Nikon or Sony. I have very little respect for the Canon products that I have used. The interface was totally alien (unlike Nikon which while confusing due to my inexperience at least made some sense) and the build quality of the low end products has been downright awful.

So if I went FF and it wasn't Pentax it would likely be Nikon or Sony, it is highly doubtful that Canon would make my short list.
10-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I shoot a 645N and Velvia slide film. I would shoot CineStill if I could get it in 120 or 220 rolls. The only thing that would tempt me away from my 645N would be a similarly-equipped 6x9 system. Compared to digital, film gives me nearly infinite analog resolution, control over the digitizing process, and all the same digital tools once it is in the computer. The disadvantage is an extremely large TIFF working-file, but I don't have to keep the TIFF file because I can always re-scan from the film.
10-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I shoot a 645N and Velvia slide film. I would shoot CineStill if I could get it in 120 or 220 rolls. The only thing that would tempt me away from my 645N would be a similarly-equipped 6x9 system. Compared to digital, film gives me nearly infinite analog resolution, control over the digitizing process, and all the same digital tools once it is in the computer. The disadvantage is an extremely large TIFF working-file, but I don't have to keep the TIFF file because I can always re-scan from the film.
I assume the immediate results are not important to you in your workflow. I shot a lot of film and enjoyed it (never Medium Format) but I can't see going back at this point. Granted - I never developed a workflow that included digitizing my images.

10-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I assume the immediate results are not important to you in your workflow. I shot a lot of film and enjoyed it (never Medium Format) but I can't see going back at this point. Granted - I never developed a workflow that included digitizing my images.
If the job requires submitting a digital file to meet a publisher's timeline, digital is certainly the way to go. The work I do on film is destined to be prints hanging on walls. The process certainly isn't instantaneous in my hybrid workflow and won't be any faster when I begin wet printing, but the slowest part is my own personal development toward mastery. A digital workflow doesn't speed that up for me.
12-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #21

One thing to keep in mind I bet the Pentax 645d holds up in value pretty well compared to buying a new Canon or Nikon full frame. The tech might be old but it's still a very large sensor.
01-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I've been looking at the 645D lately as well as the price is approaching affordability. Though I'm having a hard time rationalizing it with the A7R II about the same price and the ability to adapt my Canon glass. I still want the 645D, but I'm wondering if that's silly. Half of it would be to start accumulating 645 lenses, though for that day I can afford the Z!

01-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I've been looking at the 645D lately as well as the price is approaching affordability. Though I'm having a hard time rationalizing it with the A7R II about the same price and the ability to adapt my Canon glass. I still want the 645D, but I'm wondering if that's silly. Half of it would be to start accumulating 645 lenses, though for that day I can afford the Z!
I was making the same determination earlier last year. I decided to go with the Nikon D810 and Zeiss Manual lenses. So far I have not regretted my decision. The availability of great glass and the flexibility of higher ISO performance helped me along the way. I still think I would have enjoyed the 645D, but I shoot a lot in low light and the Nikon has been kind to me in these circumstances. On a tripod the D810 is a great still life/macro and landscape camera.

Having said all of that I still miss my Pentax 6 x 7 and look forward to Pentax's continued success in this area. Lenses made the difference for me in the end. The D810 is not medium quality format, but it's pretty close for many applications.
01-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

In Japan the used 645D goes for about 300,000 yen which is less than US$3,000 (sorry, I don't know other exchange rates). I've been tempted myself as I have a full lineup of lenses I use with the 645N. Ultimately I decided to wait and get the Sony A7s and I don't regret the decision at all. (also have a full lineup of Minolta lenses) My logic was as follows:

645D would make a wonderful landscape camera and that is my main area now.
But... I still shoot lots of other stuff including low light so I would still need another camera.
645Z could theoretically be my only camera (other than maybe a pocket P&S like the Sony RX100) but it just was too expensive and would have required that I sell all my Minolta lenses.
I couldn't justify selling great glass to get a great digital body being as glass holds its value and digital bodies don't.
So I decided to hold off on digital medium format and just continue to enjoy my Pentax 645N and 67ii and stay with FF Sony for digital stuff.

But if landscapes and the like really are all you shoot the 645D is a very valid option and if you don't mind manual focus, the A series lenses are very affordable and excellent performers. The only remaining question is whether you are OK with the large size and heavy weight. And of course you'll need a very stable tripod that hopefully isn't too heavy.
01-09-2016, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got a 645D body with some accessories a couple of months ago new via Amazon for $3300 USD and I love it. I'm sure I'd love a Z too but just didn't want to invest that much right now.
I have an old 645 so I had a couple of lenses and have been adding more as I find the deals on them.
Lots of good used lens choices coming from Japan for reasonable prices too. It's been fun building my system up.

For landscape it's great. Portraits work really well with it too. When I'm doing fast action sports I go back to the K-3 and when I'm traveling light the K-S2.