Canon 5Ds new (3,500) 12.13%
Sony A7Rii new (3,500) 612.77%
Nikon D810 new (3,000) 48.51%
Other (please comment) 24.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 05:39 AM   #1

A good time to buy a 645D ?

I am fascinated by medium format, and am attracted to the detail, acuity and pop (undefinable ) of MF photos I have seen.
Its also fascinating to me to explore old glass, and many compatible lens adaptors are available for the 645D, including Hassleblad V, 645, 67, etc. which are really quite reasonable second hand.
I was mainly comparing the 645D to the Leica S but am open to other suggestions, being a newbie to this format.

I am strictly amateur and this is for fun. My main subjects will be landscape, buildings and portrait.

At current prices I can get the 645D + 55mm cheaper then the all of the above bodies and a native lens.
The Leica S is starting to become affordable second hand and I have been offered a particularly good price for one, although its a stretch. the main advantage of the S is it has the shortest registry distance and there is compatible with the largest collection of MF lenses from other brands.
I have looked at Hassleblad and Phase 1 but thats all out of my price range.

The FF sensors are not that exciting although there are some interesting cameras at the moment.

My budget is around 3.5k for the body and one lens (hopefully a native one)

What do you guys think ? fun idea ? wrong time to buy ? get a 5Ds instead ?

10-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not an used 645D kit? That way you can get lenses really cheap for the system.
10-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Why not an used 645D kit? That way you can get lenses really cheap for the system.

A good idea but I can't find any second hand in the UK, or in eBay in Europe and the new price has just dropped severely

Perhaps people that are happy with this and don't sell it at the moment ?
10-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Given your budget, options 2, 3 and 4 seem to be off the table. That leaves the 645D or a FF camera. If MF is the goal then I think your decision is made; get the 645D. My decision was between the D and Z and I decided to wait till I had the money for the Z. Don't regret it a bit, it's a wonderful camera. The D is as well, but you'll lose a few features, such as articulating screen and live view, and high iso performance isn't in the same country, much less ballpark, but at current prices it seems like a pretty good deal.

P.S. The other thing I did was buy a MF film camera to try MF without the big upfront investment. Once I got hooked I bought the Z and sold the film camera for about what I paid. You might try this route as well before plopping down a big chunk of cash. You should be able to get a 2nd hand 645 pretty cheap. You'll just need to find someone to develop 120 film.

10-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
Given your budget, options 2, 3 and 4 seem to be off the table. That leaves the 645D or a FF camera. If MF is the goal then I think your decision is made; get the 645D. My decision was between the D and Z and I decided to wait till I had the money for the Z. Don't regret it a bit, it's a wonderful camera. The D is as well, but you'll lose a few features, such as articulating screen and live view, and high iso performance isn't in the same country, much less ballpark, but at current prices it seems like a pretty good deal.

P.S. The other thing I did was buy a MF film camera to try MF without the big upfront investment. Once I got hooked I bought the Z and sold the film camera for about what I paid. You might try this route as well before plopping down a big chunk of cash. You should be able to get a 2nd hand 645 pretty cheap. You'll just need to find someone to develop 120 film.

Thanks
I was thinking about film but am a bit "filmed" out in the 35mm area. Am in an instant mood at the moment

What's your main area of photography with this system ?
10-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel Quote
At current prices I can get the 645D + 55mm cheaper then the all of the above bodies and a native lens.
what do you shoot ? if you shoot landscape most of the time, the 645D is a great option ^^
10-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel:
I am fascinated by medium format ... My budget is around 3.5k ... I was thinking about film but am a bit "filmed" out in the 35mm area. Am in an instant mood at the moment...
The 645D is the only option that hits all 3 points. Other digital medium formats exceed your budget. The D810 is a good camera that fits your budget but it's not medium format. 645 film is less expensive but nowhere near instant.

Make sure you are committed to the 645D before moving forward. It's an expensive lesson if you find medium format too bulky. Consider renting first if you are uncertain, otherwise dive right into the 645D.
10-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter

What's your main area of photography with this system ?
I shoot mainly landscapes, some buildings and a few portraits of my better half.

10-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You can also think of it in that if you buy the 645D and really like it you could save and upgrade in a few years to either the Z or whatever replaces it but in the meantime you would know just how much you would want it by using the D.
10-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
You can also think of it in that if you buy the 645D and really like it you could save and upgrade in a few years to either the Z or whatever replaces it but in the meantime you would know just how much you would want it by using the D.

I love your equipment list
How do you decide what to use, just mood ?
10-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Keep in mind the 645D only goes up to ISO 1600. It has relatively low noise at ISO 1600 but if you need to go higher it's not an option.
10-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am fascinated by medium format, and am attracted to the detail, acuity and pop (undefinable ) of MF photos I have seen.
Its also fascinating to me to explore old glass, and many compatible lens adaptors are available for the 645D, including Hassleblad V, 645, 67, etc. which are really quite reasonable second hand.
I was mainly comparing the 645D to the Leica S but am open to other suggestions, being a newbie to this format.

I am strictly amateur and this is for fun. My main subjects will be landscape, buildings and portrait.

The Leica S is starting to become affordable second hand and I have been offered a particularly good price for one, although its a stretch. the main advantage of the S is it has the shortest registry distance and there is compatible with the largest collection of MF lenses from other brands.
I have looked at Hassleblad and Phase 1 but thats all out of my price range.

The FF sensors are not that exciting although there are some interesting cameras at the moment.

My budget is around 3.5k for the body and one lens (hopefully a native one)

What do you guys think ? fun idea ? wrong time to buy ? get a 5Ds instead ?
I was looking at the same decision. Given that you are now close to the FF coming out, I would wait for that; to at least see if it suits your needs. Another alternative is looking at the Nikon D810 along with Zeiss lenses which can be purchased used at a reasonable discount. The advantage of something light a high resolution full frame is you can get to close to the medium format quality, but will have access to the best quality lenses. While the older medium format lenses do render nicely on these cameras, (I had used Hasselblad V lenses for a while), they are not optimized for digital. In addition, the DSLR will be more portable. In a past life I had a complete Pentax 6 x 7 outfit, which was great, but far too big to bring out with me. Portability is important.
10-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I love your equipment list
How do you decide what to use, just mood ?
Mood, weather, who I am going out with and subject. If I am travelling with my wife by vehicle we usually take a couple systems, when we went to Scotland it was only the Hasselbad gear and the Pentax digitals. The Hasselblad is my favourite the Pentax K5IIs probably the one that is used the most. Right now I am shooting more with the Pentax film cameras just to use up some of the odds and ends films I have bought or were given. It is kind of nice picking up something I have not used for awhile and its like a brand new camera

On top of what is on my list, we have a pile of cans and boxes for pinhole cameras, have pinhole and zone plate lenses for the large format systems and I have access whenever I want to a Fuji GX680. A freind has also told me I could borrow his Fuji MF (the Texas Leica not sure of its name) and a Mamiya 7 if I want.

Friday should be a day with the whole plate, the Pentax MZ5n and maybe a Holga or two. If it does not rain or snow that is
10-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

now is the time to get into a 645D, as price point is very attractive. For landscape shooting as you described, you likely won't need high ISO nor burst and speed, so there is really no downside to jumping into MF via 645D and collecting some nice lenses, and upgrading body a couple years down the road.
good luck!
10-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #15

Original Poster
Interesting that no votes for 5DS !!