Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

A Minimalist Craigslist Ad for a 67

Pentax 67 with penta prism

Of course the ad above caught my eye: "Pentax 67 with penta prism"...$250.

No picture, but maybe quite a deal, yes?

I have no claim on this item if someone wants to follow-up. It's a half-day there and back for me...which may mean I'm still closest. Ha Ha.

I am VERY curious what you glean from the listing...I assume it's a 67 body with condition unknown.

As prospective buyers, what would you ask, what would you be looking for?

Thanks

Dave

10-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The seller seems reluctant to supply info on this camera. I would avoid it.
10-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

most older film cameras need to have their light seals replaced. So you should take that into account.

M
10-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A well treated 67 generation camera body should still have its light seals in functional condition. I have both a 67 and 6x7 generation camera and my original 6x7 light seals are still functional. As far as price goes, that is in the ballpark for a bargain condition body + prism in working order these days. What usually affects the price given two cameras both in good working order is sighs of wear and brass.

10-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would assume it needs CLA and just figure that into the budget. If it doesn't need any work, that's a bonus.

I wonder what the "Lots of other camera gear..." is? There must be some 67 lenses in that pile.
10-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A well treated 67 generation camera body should still have its light seals in functional condition. I have both a 67 and 6x7 generation camera and my original 6x7 light seals are still functional. As far as price goes, that is in the ballpark for a bargain condition body + prism in working order these days. What usually affects the price given two cameras both in good working order is sighs of wear and brass.
tuco,

Thanks. I'm interested in following up on the signs of wear and brassing comment. Assuming two otherwise equal cameras, but one looks more well-used, that obviously affects the price...but does it mean the more well used one has less of a life expectancy? I ask because it's not likely to have two cameras to look at the same time.

Obviously, if you were assessing the condition of a used 67 you would have all that previous experience using one. By feel, almost more than the visual clues, I'd imagine you could quickly determine whether that camera is "buy-able". My challenge, of course, is being faced with the situation where a used camera seller sets his x-year-old camera down in front of me and says, well, what do you think? Funny...if it was a 1956 Porsche I would feel right at home.

I suppose the issue for me is the feeling that buying used from a neighbor (Craigslist), where I can look at the goods first, makes me think I can get a good buy. Alternatively, buying from a dealer with a guarantee/return policy should cost more for a similar camera.

I guess what I would like to know is when you purchased your first 6x7, how did you go about it? Thanks!

Dave

---------- Post added 10-29-15 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I would assume it needs CLA and just figure that into the budget. If it doesn't need any work, that's a bonus.

I wonder what the "Lots of other camera gear..." is? There must be some 67 lenses in that pile.
AquaDome,

Thanks. If you find a CLA is needed, what is the cost? Thanks again.

Dave
10-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daveward Quote
If you find a CLA is needed, what is the cost? Thanks again.
We used to send my wife's 67 in for CLA every two years because she used the heck out of it in the studio. It averaged around $200 unless there was a repair. I expect it would be around $300 now, but I don't have any sources to quote.
10-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daveward Quote
tuco,

Thanks. I'm interested in following up on the signs of wear and brassing comment. Assuming two otherwise equal cameras, but one looks more well-used, that obviously affects the price...but does it mean the more well used one has less of a life expectancy? I ask because it's not likely to have two cameras to look at the same time.
You basically have to rely on the seller being honest if you cannot hold and try the camera out yourself prior to purchase. Because obviously a camera in, say, excellent working condition could look less appealing due a few abrasion marks and scratches but yet that could not reflect how it was treated for its entire life but rather just show it was being used.

If you buy from a place like keh.com, you at least can rest assured an experience person has checked the camera out for functionality and rated its condition.

QuoteQuote:
I guess what I would like to know is when you purchased your first 6x7, how did you go about it?
My first 6x7 camera I purchased new almost 30 years ago and have had it ever since. So I didn't have to worry much about its condition, obviously. And about 8 years ago I picked up the 67 generation body with a folding hood and 105/2.4 lens all for $500 USD. It looked good in the pictures on ebay and I just took a chance. The camera arrived both in good working condition and looking as advertised so there was no problem.