Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Newbie Alert!

Hi all, well I did it! Sold my 5DM3 and lenses and bought a PENTAX 645D. I originally wanted a step up from my 5D3 for resolution, things like DR was not the reason I guess I just wanted more of something. Anyway after attending a Phase One open day I came away totally blown away, I knew I wanted one someday. Once I came back to reality and realised that day was some way off for now. Then I discovered the 645D and 645Z. I had already loaned a Canon 5DS and thought it was nice but somewhat boring even sterile if that makes sense. I could of happily lived with it but wanted more. Then I loaned a 645D and began to see what it was that I was looking for. Don't get me wrong it wasn't love at first sight but there was definitely something there, a charm. Having never used film in a professional capacity the 645D felt like how I imagined it would have been. The Kodak sensor seemed different, but yeah I liked it. I decided after a weekend of testing the price of 2999 with 55mm lens here in the UK was doable so I took the plunge. I found researched and decided on some lenses to add to the line up. I purchased a FA 35mm 3.5, FA 120mm f4 and FA 200mm f4. This is roughly what I had in my Canon kit so I wanted to match it. By the way I mainly shoot studio beauty and fashion. As I have only had the camera for 2 weeks I'm still getting to grips but I need help / advice regarding a few things. Firstly I notice the DOF is too shallow for some things and I cant seem to get past it. I understand everything is shifted up compared to a 35mm camera but at f9 I would expect to get more than 2 inches in focus. I'm already thinking that I need to go and play some more but in case I'm missing something I thought I'd ask. It also seems 2 of the lenses need adjusting as when I use auto focus it appears to miss but works when manual, particularly with the FA 35mm lens. As I'm coming down from the honeymoon phase stage and getting into the "shit what have I done" phase any help, insight will be very much appreciated.

Drew

11-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

LOL, the "shit what have I done" phase is never fun.

Keep playing with it/just like a new phone or tablet or laptop, there is a learning curve & more experienced minds will come in & help you~!
11-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome!

I love the 645D, it's a great camera and I've taken some of my best images with it. My only reason for upgrading to the Z was due to my eyes not being so good and it was better for live view.

Have fun, there is so much play in the raw files.
11-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both! The thing is the Z has dropped again and I maybe able to exchange it. IQ is pretty much the same from what I see, although the extended ISO and screen could be useful.

11-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't shoot medium format, but this site should help:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

The 645D is listed. Using a 200mm at 10 feet at f9 gives about 6 inches of depth of field.

The 35mm at the same distance and f stop should be in focus from less than 5 feet to infinity...

Obviously subject distance, lens selected, f stop all play a role.
11-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Thank you both! The thing is the Z has dropped again and I maybe able to exchange it. IQ is pretty much the same from what I see, although the extended ISO and screen could be useful.
Had a used D on loan for a few months, then the Z came out and the live view alone was reason enough for me to get one. I do a lot of studio photography so being able to nail focus exactly was important for me to finally use it as my primary camera.

The two cameras are pretty different animals for having only one letter separating their names, the D did have something about it that I liked more, but the Z is all around more usable and at home for me, coming from a background in Canon cameras as well. The D was also pretty slow, any slower and I would've been shooting film instead.

I wouldn't say the IQ is the same, maybe in technical measure it is, but visually they render images as different as can be. The D has very bold colors and strong contrast, while the Z is flat as a board and requires post work to get the most out of it.
11-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Had a used D on loan for a few months, then the Z came out and the live view alone was reason enough for me to get one. I do a lot of studio photography so being able to nail focus exactly was important for me to finally use it as my primary camera.

The two cameras are pretty different animals for having only one letter separating their names, the D did have something about it that I liked more, but the Z is all around more usable and at home for me, coming from a background in Canon cameras as well. The D was also pretty slow, any slower and I would've been shooting film instead.

I wouldn't say the IQ is the same, maybe in technical measure it is, but visually they render images as different as can be. The D has very bold colors and strong contrast, while the Z is flat as a board and requires post work to get the most out of it.
Hey thank you for your input! I have the offer to exchange my 645D for the 645Z the lack of tethering with the D amoung other things are making me itchy for the Z.
Have you had the Z lock up at all as I have heard stories?
11-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey thank you for your input! I have the offer to exchange my 645D for the 645Z the lack of tethering with the D amoung other things are making me itchy for the Z.
Have you had the Z lock up at all as I have heard stories?
Ever since getting the camera in late November of last year, I've had the camera freeze on me exactly once for about 20 seconds, but unlike other reports where the users had to pull the battery out, mine began responding on its own.

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, just took a shot and immediately checked the preview image, on which it got stuck. Maybe I pressed the preview button too soon after capture? Who knows, it's been working fine otherwise. Some people claimed a tendency for lockups when taking lots of bracketed shots, but I've abused the feature both during day time and at night, and nothing happened.

If anything, it certainly isn't a chronic problem with this camera, just the rare freak accident.

Certainly more stable than the D, in my experience, which would randomly start corrupting images after a point. It wasn't until a bit later that I found out that it doesn't support UHS cards.

11-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #9

I had one lock up on my Z, but it was my fault as I was hitting buttons while it was still writing. None since.
11-03-2015, 03:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
I had one lock up on my Z, but it was my fault as I was hitting buttons while it was still writing. None since.
Something tells me that this might have been the problem, but there were firmware updates released since then with stability improvements, so it might not be a problem anymore.
11-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hello folks

I exchanged my 645d for a 645Z today and had a few short hours for a quick play. What a great bit of kit, although it also made me realise how good the 645D is when shooting under favourable conditions. The 645D is still a very useful camera indeed (Kodak sensor). But in my case it made me lust for the 645Z all the more so here it is. I'm sure I will have many questions, I had gotten used to the button layout on the 645D so a bit different here. I have not found out how to preview WB in play mode yet but the big one is.....please tell me the image compare function is still there?????? I cannot find it thats for sure. But yes chuffed and in awe of this wonderful camera and look forward to exploring our creativity together.
11-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have not found out how to preview WB in play mode yet
It's a little awkward, but when previewing an image, push the down button to access image menu, go to RAW development, select single image, and finally you'll be able to look at WB changes on the image.

QuoteQuote:
but the big one is..... please tell me the image compare function is still there?????? I cannot find it thats for sure. But yes chuffed and in awe of this wonderful camera and look forward to exploring our creativity together.
Not sure what this function is? I've never found or used anything like that on the D.
11-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
It's a little awkward, but when previewing an image, push the down button to access image menu, go to RAW development, select single image, and finally you'll be able to look at WB changes on the image.

Not sure what this function is? I've never found or used anything like that on the D.
Hi Kolor- Pikker image compare is when you can play back images in a split screen view to compare two images. I would use this on my Canon 5Dmk3 along with the rate feature.
11-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Kolor- Pikker image compare is when you can play back images in a split screen view to compare two images. I would use this on my Canon 5Dmk3 along with the rate feature.
Oh, I thought you meant a feature on the D that wasn't on the Z for some reason. The last camera I've used was a 5D2, so I wouldn't know of the changes the mk3 brought. I don't think the Z has a feature like that.
11-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #15

Original Poster
Oh, I thought you meant a feature on the D that wasn't on the Z for some reason. The last camera I've used was a 5D2, so I wouldn't know of the changes the mk3 brought. I don't think the Z has a feature like that.
`oh sorry I do mean that, the compare feature is on the D but not the Z!