Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #16
SDL
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Beautiful prints! Curious, though, as someone interested in the 645Z. Could you go much larger than 30x40 while retaining good detail?

Again, brilliant work!

11-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,580
ooooh yeah!
Love them
11-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Lovely images Larkis.


QuoteOriginally posted by SDL Quote
Beautiful prints! Curious, though, as someone interested in the 645Z. Could you go much larger than 30x40 while retaining good detail?
I'd be interested in this as well. How big could you print up to without loosing detail?
11-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,070
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I have posted this to the 645z Facebook group, but posting here as well. I have not had the chance to do full size prints from the 645z until now, and comparing them to my 645D prints, I must say that the extra bit of resolution helps with fine textures in the images, not like the 645D is a slouch in this regard when properly focused. The camera profiles I have used are curtesy of torger.
This is amazing considering the size of the prints!
I suppose this is when you realize how much "power" this 645Z has!

JP

11-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SDL Quote
Beautiful prints! Curious, though, as someone interested in the 645Z. Could you go much larger than 30x40 while retaining good detail?

Again, brilliant work!
This is hard question to answer. I think it depends on the viewing distance, how picky you are, and how sharp the lens is at resolving micro texture. The subject definitely matters. For me, 30x40 is the limit for this type of image, I can print 50x60 if it's architecture or something with a lot of smooth tonal transitions but little texture (smooth clouds, water, etc). I also like if the image holds up relatively close, about 8 inches away from my eyes. If the lens resolves real detail at 100% zoom, large prints are easy to make without that unfortunate digital up-sampled look to them.
11-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #21
SDL
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
This is hard question to answer. I think it depends on the viewing distance, how picky you are, and how sharp the lens is at resolving micro texture. The subject definitely matters. For me, 30x40 is the limit for this type of image, I can print 50x60 if it's architecture or something with a lot of smooth tonal transitions but little texture (smooth clouds, water, etc). I also like if the image holds up relatively close, about 8 inches away from my eyes. If the lens resolves real detail at 100% zoom, large prints are easy to make without that unfortunate digital up-sampled look to them.
Thanks for the reply! I asked the right person, as I can see you're attention to detail is high. That digital look you speak of is something I'd like to avoid (coming from film... I do love some good film grain, however).
11-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SDL Quote
Thanks for the reply! I asked the right person, as I can see you're attention to detail is high. That digital look you speak of is something I'd like to avoid (coming from film... I do love some good film grain, however).
Yes, it's better to see some nice crisp grain up close than a mushy region without any real detail. Prints from well scanned 4x5 film demonstrate this quite well.
11-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 536
I have printed at 30 x 40 on fujiflex in a lab. I provided an image processed to be sharp at 30x40 305dpi. They say that to print 30 x 40 I should provide a 15 x 30 photoshop output, and that a 30 X 40 can print to 60 x 80. I haven't tried this yet, but the lab does work fir several leaving UK landscape photographer. I don't have any prints to photo and post (all with friends, family and clients; in that order). But at 30 x 40 it is sharp at 15cm viewing distance. On archive paper possibly less so.

11-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,538
QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
OUCH!!! Those make we want to upgrade my "tiny" 24 inch printer to a 44"...............
A friend actually gave me an Epson Stylus Pro 9600 about a month ago but I'm too gutless to put a 44" roll in it at the moment. Working with a printer certainly forces one to reevaluate the output strategy.

These lovely prints are giving me all kinds of ideas.. even though I've "only" got a D810 - I'm still working out how to get a decent 645Z setup without bankrupting myself.
11-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
A friend actually gave me an Epson Stylus Pro 9600 about a month ago but I'm too gutless to put a 44" roll in it at the moment. Working with a printer certainly forces one to reevaluate the output strategy.

These lovely prints are giving me all kinds of ideas.. even though I've "only" got a D810 - I'm still working out how to get a decent 645Z setup without bankrupting myself.
There has been a recent price drop on the 645z which might ease the financial burden. The DFA 28-45mm is lovely but really expensive. A good used FA 33-55mm can be had at a reason price. The upcoming FA 35mm looks like a winner and the FA 55mm is no slouch. Manual focus lens can be had for even less.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, iceland 645z test, medium format, prints
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another 645Z bag question … for Iceland. hsteeves Pentax Medium Format 15 03-29-2015 09:00 PM
645Z standard test shots now on Imaging Resource rawr Pentax Medium Format 4 08-21-2014 08:33 AM
TCSTV 645Z Field Test Video TCSJordan Pentax Medium Format 44 08-03-2014 07:11 AM
Landscape Initial Test 645Z RobertH Post Your Photos! 7 07-29-2014 12:05 PM
Landscape Iceland Teaser Two Jimbo Post Your Photos! 20 10-03-2012 01:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top