Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 03:33 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Senior Member
The Madshutter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Ginesio
Posts: 170
Neist Point, II

Neist Point, the most western point of the Isle of Skye, together with its lighthouse are among the best known landmarks of the island. In this photograph, I composed juxtaposing the stony heavy cliff's mass with the feather light mass of the pink cloud above it, using a thin line of white mist to separate the two parts of the image. To complete the geometry of this composition, both of the cliff's and the cloud's shapes together contribute to create a triangle pointing at the lighthouse.



With the Pentax 645z and the 80-160mm f/4.5. Thank you for viewing! Best,

Vieri

11-06-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,318
Very nice, especially the vivid detail and the wonderful colours! Well done
11-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 160
Nicely done. Can I ask the lens used?
11-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hoevelaken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 816
QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Nicely done. Can I ask the lens used?
its in the exif and underneath the photo:

11-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
The Madshutter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Ginesio
Posts: 170
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Very nice, especially the vivid detail and the wonderful colours! Well done
Thank you very much Na Horuk! Glad you enjoyed it

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Nicely done. Can I ask the lens used?
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
its in the exif and underneath the photo:
Thank you algrove - it's the 80-160mm f/4.5 AF
11-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,466
Great shot again as are they all.

I don't wish to speak out of turn, but there is a gallery thread on this page:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/87027-post-your-m...at-photos.html

Nothing wrong with the photos, they are all great, but there is a risk of the whole of the front page being taken over, especially if other users were to follow suit, and other threads being pushed further behind on this part of the forum.
11-10-2015, 03:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
The Madshutter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Ginesio
Posts: 170
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Great shot again as are they all.

I don't wish to speak out of turn, but there is a gallery thread on this page:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/87027-post-your-m...at-photos.html

Nothing wrong with the photos, they are all great, but there is a risk of the whole of the front page being taken over, especially if other users were to follow suit, and other threads being pushed further behind on this part of the forum.
Thank you very much for your comment, I am glad you enjoy the images. About posting, I see that there are about 4 threads (including the general images one you mention) on the front page on 40, and 2 of these are very well down the page; hardly "taking over" the front page - more, if there is no interest in such threads, they will be pushed out of the FP fairly quickly, I am confident that the system self-manages itself pretty well. That said, I am sure if there were such a risk as the one you mention, that an admin would warn us Best,

Vieri

Last edited by The Madshutter; 11-10-2015 at 03:24 AM.
11-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,466
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Thank you very much for your comment, I am glad you enjoy the images. About posting, I see that there are about 4 threads (including the general images one you mention) on the front page on 40, and 2 of these are very well down the page; hardly "taking over" the front page. I am sure, if there were such a risk, that an admin would warn us Best,

Vieri
With respect, why should people in a forum wait for moderation before they consider everyone? What if 4 likeminded people did the same as you? It wouldn't take very long before other threads would be lost.

It's not as if you would be in bad company in the medium format photo thread, there are some great photographers posting there (and me also!). It's also well viewed. It's had over a million views.

Perhaps it's time for a new section in the forum a gallery section like other forums have, until that time I Think we should self moderate.

11-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Socorro, NM
Posts: 68
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Neist Point, the most western point of the Isle of Skye, together with its lighthouse are among the best known landmarks of the island. In this photograph, I composed juxtaposing the stony heavy cliff's mass with the feather light mass of the pink cloud above it, using a thin line of white mist to separate the two parts of the image. To complete the geometry of this composition, both of the cliff's and the cloud's shapes together contribute to create a triangle pointing at the lighthouse.



With the Pentax 645z and the 80-160mm f/4.5. Thank you for viewing! Best,

Vieri
Gorgeous image Vieri. I too make a regular habit of checking the medium format images link and could have missed your posting. It would have been my loss.
11-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 585
I personally browse the forum for news and MF tech discussion. But when I want a fix or inspiration I delve into the MF images thread.

So I agree, the perfect place to post these is in the MF Images thread.

Nice images though, you must travel around quite a bit.
11-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
Senior Member
The Madshutter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Ginesio
Posts: 170
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
With respect, why should people in a forum wait for moderation before they consider everyone? What if 4 likeminded people did the same as you? It wouldn't take very long before other threads would be lost.

It's not as if you would be in bad company in the medium format photo thread, there are some great photographers posting there (and me also!). It's also well viewed. It's had over a million views.

Perhaps it's time for a new section in the forum a gallery section like other forums have, until that time I Think we should self moderate.
Well, with "What if" we could imagine pretty much anything we wanted; however, for the moment, your apocalyptic scenario is far from happening, I think... More, I don't see the need to "self moderate" since I don't see the danger of images taking over the forum, I don't see posting images in single threads as being inconsiderate towards others (in the end, images is what it's all about, isn't it?), I don't see it being against the rules of the forum, and I don't see the need for a self-appointed censor when we have moderators taking care of business. That said, see my answer below to Don and 2351HD...

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Boyd Quote
Gorgeous image Vieri. I too make a regular habit of checking the medium format images link and could have missed your posting. It would have been my loss.
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I personally browse the forum for news and MF tech discussion. But when I want a fix or inspiration I delve into the MF images thread.

So I agree, the perfect place to post these is in the MF Images thread.

Nice images though, you must travel around quite a bit.
Thank you Don & 2351HD, I am glad you enjoyed the image As far as your suggestions re: posting in the image thread, they make a lot of sense to me (much more so than itshimitis' "end of the world" ramblings, to be honest), for whatever reasons I actually never thought about posting there but will consider doing so in the future. Thank you!

Best,

Vieri
11-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 532
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Well, with "What if" we could imagine pretty much anything we wanted; however, for the moment, your apocalyptic scenario is far from happening, I think... More, I don't see the need to "self moderate" since I don't see the danger of images taking over the forum, I don't see posting images in single threads as being inconsiderate towards others (in the end, images is what it's all about, isn't it?), I don't see it being against the rules of the forum, and I don't see the need for a self-appointed censor when we have moderators taking care of business. That said, see my answer below to Don and 2351HD...





Thank you Don & 2351HD, I am glad you enjoyed the image As far as your suggestions re: posting in the image thread, they make a lot of sense to me (much more so than itshimitis' "end of the world" ramblings, to be honest), for whatever reasons I actually never thought about posting there but will consider doing so in the future. Thank you!

Best,

Vieri
Your photos are magnificent. Perhaps magnificence deserves a shelf of it's own. But I would contest that that shelf does not, and should not exist on Pentax Forums. Really your images are fantastic, but itshimitis had a very valid point. If both he, mikeSF, Zantaphis, myself and countless others took the same self promotional approach there would be no MF threads but only a look I've taken a nice photo thread over and over again. We will shower praise on your images on the post your MF photo thread because they are very good. But please don't set an unsustainable precedent with your independence.
11-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,466
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Well, with "What if" we could imagine pretty much anything we wanted; however, for the moment, your apocalyptic scenario is far from happening, I think... More, I don't see the need to "self moderate" since I don't see the danger of images taking over the forum, I don't see posting images in single threads as being inconsiderate towards others (in the end, images is what it's all about, isn't it?), I don't see it being against the rules of the forum, and I don't see the need for a self-appointed censor when we have moderators taking care of business. That said, see my answer below to Don and 2351HD...





Thank you Don & 2351HD, I am glad you enjoyed the image As far as your suggestions re: posting in the image thread, they make a lot of sense to me (much more so than itshimitis' "end of the world" ramblings, to be honest), for whatever reasons I actually never thought about posting there but will consider doing so in the future. Thank you!

Best,

Vieri
I'm sorry. I bit my lip before commenting, and almost deleted the comment when I made it. There are so many great photographers that post in the "Post Your Medium Format" forum. I do my best (though where I am at the moment, I am limited in what I can carry with me so am 'limited' to my A7RII), but I'd love to get some of the shots that Thomasbrow MikeSF or Ed Hurst get. This post from Ed deserves a separate thread because it is exceptional:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/87027-post-your-m...ml#post3253621

Ed can take photos like that, and still posts it within the main thread. He makes quite a few posts within the thread, but these were (for me at least) particularly exceptional from a photographer that is already very good. They deserve a thread of their own. Similarly in the Non Pentax area, there is a poster called MarkLJ who won the Landscape phtotographer of the year award in the UK, yet he didn't post separately from the gallery thread, even though his work that he posted in the Full Frame photo thread was (and is) exceptional.

Have you even looked in the thread I referred to, or do you consider yourself too good for it?

You're very good, and I mean that. But better than those posts from Ed? I'm not so sure. I like those more. Are yours better than Mike's? hmmm.

Post within the thread and be judged amongst your peers, not apart from them. I'm not sure what your incentive is by posting separate threads, but it could be misconstrued as arrogance. Like you consider yourself too good to post within the gallery thread.

I consider myself fortunate to get some good photos in on occasion. Some maybe a little better, but I am in awe at some of the work in that thread, yet even after a bit of gentle pushing you think yourself above it. I'm sorry but as good as you are (and you are), for me, you aren't (yet) that good.

Sure, you're not breaking any rules, but there are unwritten rules where you have to look between the lines and see how things are done within a forum. When I found this forum, I noticed the Post Your Medium Format thread and have rarely posted images outside it, bit have still got great feedback
11-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 466
It's very kind of you to have liked my pictures sir... Thank you. I often feel like that when I see other people's work in the 'Post Your Medium Format Photos' thread. There is some amazing work there - and I often find myself feeling 'I wish I had taken that!'.

I'm sure that no rules have been broken but I respectfuly agree that the place to showcase our work within the culture of this forum is the 'Post Your Medium Format Photos' thread - unless the image is being posted to illustrate some specific technical point beyond the actual image. It just allows the work to be shared and for the viewer to decide what is and what is not exceptional :-)

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 11-11-2015 at 09:14 PM.
11-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #15
Senior Member
The Madshutter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Ginesio
Posts: 170
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for chiming in, finally this has become an interesting discussion. OK, let's put some things into perspective.

1. As I said, the reason I didn't post in the images thread is because I haven't considered it; to be honest, I haven't even looked at it. This isn't because I consider myself above the rest or any such nonsense; it's much simpler than that, in most forums there either are sections for images, or you just post your threads in the closest forum of reference. Here, and perhaps the forum owner could take this chance to do something about this, there aren't image sections, so I thought I'd post my threads in the closest section. End of story, don't read more into it than that.

2. As I said in my last post before this, I didn't like itshimitis' "high & mighty" tone in his first coming out on this, the "lone ranger" syndrome is something I have seen many times in many forum, hence my reply (sorry itshimitis, I apologise if that wasn't your intent); the following posts about it made more sense, including itshimitis' last post, which I liked better (with some exceptions, see below), and I will consider not posting out of the thread you mention.

3. I find it interesting that people get "personal" and start judging my character, which you know nothing about, just by the fact that I posted 4 images on a forum out of what you consider the "right" thread, not breaking any forum rule known to me; perhaps this is someone "feeling he is above the rest"?

4. Let's talk numbers, specifically numbers of the MF forum here. The first page has 40 threads. Out of these, 6 are image threads, 4 mine. Hardly a taking over; but you are afraid of what can happen if more people would start posting images. Let's see: the first 12 threads in the forum have seen any action for less or up to a day; then we have 6 more threads up to 6 days old; then we have the last 22 threads that haven't seen any movement or interest between November 5th and October 24th. Not exactly bursting with activity, which is to be expected given the niche nature of the forum. One can argue that, if more people posted images we would have a livelier forum, and probably without killing it.

5. Some people mentioning self promotion, which is way off the mark; as I showed above, there wouldn't be much sense in self promoting in such a slow forum, would it? There are much better, dedicated places to do so. The reason why I post my images here is because I love my MF Pentax gear and want to share my images and show what it can do, that's it.

6. All images in a thread, regardless of subject matter, camera, processing, etc etc. Sounds good. Why then not all lens related posts in a thread, or all 645z body related posts in a thread, but please let's keep the 645d related posts out? All film-camera related posts in a single thread?

In the end, I understand that most people are used to post images in the thread some of you suggest, and that there are unwritten conventions that people oblige to; as I said I will consider doing so as well, mostly to keep the peace which is more important for me than "doing it my way". However, have you considered stopping doing what you do out of habit and see what happens? Or, at least, let someone who wants to do things differently be, especially if he or she isn't breaking any rule, nor disrupting the functioning of the forum? I am sure that the world is not going to end, and perhaps the forum will be a bit more interesting.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on all this. Best,

Vieri
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, lighthouse, mass, medium format, pentax 645z, pentax 80-160mm f/4.5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 II noticeably slower than K-5 II shooting manual bursts flonix Pentax K-3 24 09-17-2015 10:38 PM
5 point autofocus vs 11 point. slip Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 09-22-2014 08:56 AM
K5 II with Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II Macro takes only UNSHARP images fredberg Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 03-30-2014 07:25 PM
Pentax 55mm 1.4 Point to Point Focus Speed MBT74 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 10-16-2012 06:35 AM
Canon 5d II, 1Ds II, OR Nikon D700 ltdstar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 21 02-10-2010 06:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top