Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 120
645D and 645Z?

so I have owned my 645Z for a few days now after upgrading from the 645D which I had for 2 weeks. Although I know I made the right choice I still miss the 645D looking at the D's pictures they definately do have a charm and quality which is different to the 645Z. I've been thinking about re purchasing the 645D to compliment the 645Z! Wow is this crazy talk? does anyone here own both?

11-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
I do not own any of the cameras you mentioned (I wish though), but I would really love to see some pics just to understand why D might have an edge on Z

Last edited by Apapukas; 11-07-2015 at 03:19 PM.
11-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 120
Original Poster
I will surely post some soon. Though wouldn't say the D has the edge but different / unique enough to make it desirable in its own right.
11-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,714
You upgraded after only two weeks with the 645D? And you have written off the 645Z after a few days?
I think you need to spend a bit more time with a new camera before making those sorts of assessments.

11-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 553
purchasing the 645D to compliment the 645Z

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You upgraded after only two weeks with the 645D? And you have written off the 645Z after a few days?
I think you need to spend a bit more time with a new camera before making those sorts of assessments.
11-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 540
QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
so I have owned my 645Z for a few days now after upgrading from the 645D which I had for 2 weeks. Although I know I made the right choice I still miss the 645D looking at the D's pictures they definately do have a charm and quality which is different to the 645Z. I've been thinking about re purchasing the 645D to compliment the 645Z! Wow is this crazy talk? does anyone here own both?
Never owned the D. Really Mike Oria's shots with the D were the straw that tilted the scales to my investing in MF with the Z. Before I did I played around with various raw files from both cameras. Straight out of the cameras the D has a look, and out of the Z flat files. Start pushing them around in PP the look of the D needs kid gloves and files of the Z can be boxed twelve ways till Sunday and still stand up.
11-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,879
The 645D has a CCD sensor. Some find the images from a CCD sensor more appealing than images from a CMOS sensor like the one the 645Z has. The CMOS, however, wins when it comes to ISO sensitivity range and low noise.

A similar loss of image appeal was reported when Pentax moved from CCD in the K10D to CMOS in the K20D.
11-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 120
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You upgraded after only two weeks with the 645D? And you have written off the 645Z after a few days?
I think you need to spend a bit more time with a new camera before making those sorts of assessments.
Yes something got lost in translation here.

I will explain. When I purchased the 645D the retailer belived it could now tether ( which is very needed for my work) Anyway after much research we discovered that image transmitter does not work on recent Mac operating systems. This then made me start to consider the 645Z as an option. I owned the 645D for two weeks because this is the time allowed to exchange a purchase. I had loaned the 645D prior to this also so I knew I liked it. Anyway as I said I needed the tethering capability, and along with the other benefits the 654Z offered like ISO, LV, tilt screen recent price drop! suddenly it seemed an attractive propostition so I bought one and LOVE it! My point is I love the 645D also image quality is different (neither better nor worse necessarily) which is why I'm wondering if anyone owns both.



---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The 645D has a CCD sensor. Some find the images from a CCD sensor more appealing than images from a CMOS sensor like the one the 645Z has. The CMOS, however, wins when it comes to ISO sensitivity range and low noise.

A similar loss of image appeal was reported when Pentax moved from CCD in the K10D to CMOS in the K20D.
Exactly this ^^^ Hopefully the D does not drop any lower in price or I won't be able to resist

---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 03:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Never owned the D. Really Mike Oria's shots with the D were the straw that tilted the scales to my investing in MF with the Z. Before I did I played around with various raw files from both cameras. Straight out of the cameras the D has a look, and out of the Z flat files. Start pushing them around in PP the look of the D needs kid gloves and files of the Z can be boxed twelve ways till Sunday and still stand up.
Ha! indeed.... do you use or recommend the LR camera profiles found on this site?

11-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 540
QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Yes something got lost in translation here.

I will explain. When I purchased the 645D the retailer belived it could now tether ( which is very needed for my work) Anyway after much research we discovered that image transmitter does not work on recent Mac operating systems. This then made me start to consider the 645Z as an option. I owned the 645D for two weeks because this is the time allowed to exchange a purchase. I had loaned the 645D prior to this also so I knew I liked it. Anyway as I said I needed the tethering capability, and along with the other benefits the 654Z offered like ISO, LV, tilt screen recent price drop! suddenly it seemed an attractive propostition so I bought one and LOVE it! My point is I love the 645D also image quality is different (neither better nor worse necessarily) which is why I'm wondering if anyone owns both.



---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 03:13 PM ----------



Exactly this ^^^ Hopefully the D does not drop any lower in price or I won't be able to resist

---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 03:16 PM ----------



Ha! indeed.... do you use or recommend the LR camera profiles found on this site?
Yes, I use huelight, and torgers eternally updating beta profiles PM me and I'll send you all the profiles I have via email (eventually)
11-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,714
Spend a bit more time working on the processing of your Z files, and then decide whether you still need a CCD in your life
11-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,825
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
purchasing the 645D to compliment the 645Z
Re-Read the original post. The op owned the 645d for two weeks then got the 645z (due to tether requirements) and now is considering getting a 645d also to add to his kit for shots that do not require tethering based on the way the files look.
11-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 540
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Re-Read the original post. The op owned the 645d for two weeks then got the 645z (due to tether requirements) and now is considering getting a 645d also to add to his kit for shots that do not require tethering based on the way the files look.
Yeah, but not trolling or time wasting. It our choice as contributors whether to contribute or not. His choice to tether or not.
11-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,825
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Yeah, but not trolling or time wasting. It our choice as contributors whether to contribute or not. His choice to tether or not.
I really don't understand this post. The point I made was that he had "corrected" someone who had in fact read the post correctly.
11-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
In reading this area - MF area, I remember reading a post of a fellow who had a Z and a D in his equipment line At the time I thought wow - with that level of gear one could do anything.... I still have my K100 just because it too has a CCD sensor. About 2 years ago I was up at the Grand Canyon and my K5 pulled up lame - so I swapped bodies and continued shooting. The images from the K100 held their own. They really surprised me.

11-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 623
I am considering the same, re-purchasing a 645D to compliment my Z.

For certain types of images the D excels and can offer a different look, but you can get that look, or at least close to it with the Z with the right processing.

At $3800 the D is a great price new to have as a backup body, and very capable.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, cameras, ccd, cmos, files, image, images, look, love, medium format, money, price, sensor, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do the 645D and 645z share the same battery ? larkis Pentax Medium Format 2 09-23-2014 02:35 AM
Pentax 645Z (and 645D) for rent !? formercanuck Pentax Medium Format 5 09-10-2014 11:54 AM
real world 645D and 645Z comparison acarlay Pentax Medium Format 17 09-02-2014 10:17 AM
645D vs 645Z jrpower10 Pentax Medium Format 6 08-15-2014 10:58 AM
so, has anybody actually compared 645D and 645Z output? hsteeves Pentax Medium Format 11 08-08-2014 08:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top