Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it were to have full time manual focus over-ride like the sdm lenses, would it still work on old film bodies?

Could they even do a lens like this without a clutch and without sdm?

11-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
If it were to have full time manual focus over-ride like the sdm lenses, would it still work on old film bodies?

I would hope not as it would mean no manual focus at all, which is something I use sometimes.
11-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote

The DA Limited primes have it and use screw drive, so they aren't mutually exclusive traits.
11-19-2015, 03:55 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I would hope not as it would mean no manual focus at all, which is something I use sometimes.
That would certainly be an unwanted surprise. I read the specs on a few sites, it is silent on this point. There must be a way to put it into manual focus mode. The push/pull feature on the existing lens perhaps is the way, I cannot see a manual switch in the photos like the newer lens.

The design between the 2 lens is very similar (almost identical ) around the focus ring and the lens hood. While the old lens shows the words auto focus, perhaps the new one shows manual focus when the focusing ring is moved towards the front to engage manual. Or the pictures of the new lens are showing it in manual focus mode and we cannot see the words auto focus. I think it is the second option, as the focus ring is very close to the distance scale window.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 11-19-2015 at 04:14 AM.
11-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
That would certainly be an unwanted surprise. I read the specs on a few sites, it is silent on this point. There must be a way to put it into manual focus mode. The push/pull feature on the existing lens perhaps is the way, I cannot see a manual switch in the photos like the newer lens.

The design between the 2 lens is very similar (almost identical ) around the focus ring and the lens hood. While the old lens shows the words auto focus, perhaps the new one shows manual focus when the focusing ring is moved towards the front to engage manual. Or the pictures of the new lens are showing it in manual focus mode and we cannot see the words auto focus. I think it is the second option, as the focus ring is very close to the distance scale window.
I suspect the latter.
11-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
I ordered one at the low price. No cancellation so far, so I am hoping it was an early bird special, not a mistake.
I'm kicking myself... Almost pulled the trigger and was like "oh I'll wait until the morning"
11-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I suspect it was an error price, not an early bird. B&H label their special offers.

11-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #38

Off course it was an error. Pentax 's error, they first published a bad price. As a B&H sales responsible I'd now call Pentax and ask them to solve the problem. Don't think hundrets of lenses have been sold, even for this price, so giving them away 500 bucks cheaper than planned is less financial loss than the reputational loss could be. Big dealers should be able to get an agreement with Pentax in such a case.
For example in Europe, amazon is shipping for the price they set on their site, if it was not obviously wrong, i.e. several times lower than it should be.
11-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian

More likely to be a B&H error as it showed the correct price on the Pentax site.
11-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More likely to be a B&H error as it showed the correct price on the Pentax site.
and if its an error, B&H has fine print.
11-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
and if its an error, B&H has fine print.
It might make a difference if they had fully accepted the order rather than simply acknowledged it. The small print of many order confirmation emails have comments saying the order isn't accepted until a certain time.
11-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #42

I suspect the latter.
I looked closely at the current 35mm, I am sure the pictures of the new 35mm lens show it in manual focus mode.

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 07:26 AM ----------

It might make a difference if they had fully accepted the order rather than simply acknowledged it. The small print of many order confirmation emails have comments saying the order isn't accepted until a certain time.

Not only only accepted but charged your credit card. Time will tell. The B&H price was the same as the Pentax US site.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 11-19-2015 at 03:24 PM.
11-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #43

Sure, there might be a way a lawyer can find to avoid they have to sell it for that price. But there is one thing a lawyer can't change: Let's assume they sold 20 of those lenses in that short time at this price. That's a total of 10k cheaper than it shuld be. It take a multiple amount of this to correct the reputational risk if people start telling a company refused to fulfil their promise. And on the other hand, if people start telling they did it and shipped it at the lower price, this a better than any ad you can buy for 10k.
11-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donesteban Quote
Sure, there might be a way a lawyer can find to avoid they have to sell it for that price. But there is one thing a lawyer can't change: Let's assume they sold 20 of those lenses in that short time at this price. That's a total of 10k cheaper than it shuld be. It take a multiple amount of this to correct the reputational risk if people start telling a company refused to fulfil their promise. And on the other hand, if people start telling they did it and shipped it at the lower price, this a better than any ad you can buy for 10k.
Well if they have not accepted your order, then there isn't any promise.
11-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well if they have not accepted your order, then there isn't any promise.
it is the same as companies that have mistakes in sales flyers - the small print says that the company cannot be held responsible for errors.