Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Just to say that the latest LR update for CC (and presumably for LR6 too) the DFA 35 is now on the database - I'd been using the FA before today...

01-31-2016, 10:15 PM   #62
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Did anyone get this lens for $1099?
01-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by brelip Quote
Did anyone get this lens for $1099?
Yes I did. B&H honoured the price.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 02-01-2016 at 12:49 AM.
02-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #64

well i didn't pay $1099 unfortunately but do have the new lens here.

First thoughts. The older model feels nicer in your hands & the focus ring is smoother.

The new model has that more modern lens feel and is not just a chunk of metal like the older lenses

AF on the new model is snappy & accurate.

It's about as sharp as the old model - it's pretty much identical. I struggle to see a difference between them in 100% in lightroom.

The new model seems a LOT better with CA - the old lens I love for it's amazing sharpness, but it was shocking against something backlit with CA.

The lightroom lens profile for the correction of the new 35mm works decently though I was surprised how much vignette there was wide open. When you apply the lens profile the corners really get lifted up brightness wise.

Lastly, new lens has a touch better bokeh.

I'll post some shots in a day or two, leaving to shoot a wedding in a couple of hours and I have a couple engagement shoot tomorrow so I'll have some samples to post shortly.

In the meantime here is the old lens vs the new one size wise.

02-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #65
Forum Member

Thanks. That's pretty much my assessment when comparing FA35 and A35. I wonder how much real improvement is there from FA to DFA...
02-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #66

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
well i didn't pay $1099 unfortunately but do have the new lens here.

First thoughts. The older model feels nicer in your hands & the focus ring is smoother.

The new model has that more modern lens feel and is not just a chunk of metal like the older lenses

AF on the new model is snappy & accurate.

It's about as sharp as the old model - it's pretty much identical. I struggle to see a difference between them in 100% in lightroom.

The new model seems a LOT better with CA - the old lens I love for it's amazing sharpness, but it was shocking against something backlit with CA.

The lightroom lens profile for the correction of the new 35mm works decently though I was surprised how much vignette there was wide open. When you apply the lens profile the corners really get lifted up brightness wise.

Lastly, new lens has a touch better bokeh.

I'll post some shots in a day or two, leaving to shoot a wedding in a couple of hours and I have a couple engagement shoot tomorrow so I'll have some samples to post shortly.

In the meantime here is the old lens vs the new one size wise.
I also did some comparison between the older FA and the new DFA. My conclusion is a little bit different to yours...

At wider aperture (3.5-5.6) the DFA is much much sharper than the FA. In contrary I couldn't see any difference in CA between the two models. The Bokeh is indeed nicer with the DFA at 5.6. At 3.5 or stopped down its about the same.

Edit: Oh, I see now you did compare the "A" with the new DFA, not the "FA". This explains the differences I think...
02-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Ristretto Quote
I also did some comparison between the older FA and the new DFA. My conclusion is a little bit different to yours...

At wider aperture (3.5-5.6) the DFA is much much sharper than the FA. In contrary I couldn't see any difference in CA between the two models. The Bokeh is indeed nicer with the DFA at 5.6. At 3.5 or stopped down its about the same.

Edit: Oh, I see now you did compare the "A" with the new DFA, not the "FA". This explains the differences I think...
Yep mine is the super old version, but man for a old bit of glass it's crazy sharp! Makes my canon wide angles look like garbage.

02-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
Yep mine is the super old version, but man for a old bit of glass it's crazy sharp! Makes my canon wide angles look like garbage.
Huh, that's quite a statement. I love mine as well, although I haven't really tried to compare it side by side with other lenses. I agree with you about the light issues, however. One has to be pretty careful about the light angles. I find flare is also an issue---I never shoot into the light if I can help it, because I loathe those geometric colored flare features all lenses give off. But I have found with most of my older Pentax lenses (well, that means all of them, really, since they're all older...) that shooting across the light can be very tricky as well, with flare "haze".
02-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Huh, that's quite a statement. I love mine as well, although I haven't really tried to compare it side by side with other lenses. I agree with you about the light issues, however. One has to be pretty careful about the light angles. I find flare is also an issue---I never shoot into the light if I can help it, because I loathe those geometric colored flare features all lenses give off. But I have found with most of my older Pentax lenses (well, that means all of them, really, since they're all older...) that shooting across the light can be very tricky as well, with flare "haze".
I was just talking about sharpness only. Of course the modern canon lenses are more flare resistant / better coatings etc.

The 11-24mm is a incredible tool, but just on sharpness value the 35mm spanks it.
02-08-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #70

I also got one 2 weeks ago from Japan. It is the best lense I ever owned, and I had a bunch of Hasselblads before.
Sadly it's not exactly my prefered focal length.

I will put together my infos here:
HD Pentax - D FA645 1:3.5 35mm | Bangkok Photographer studio Valentino
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
02-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #71

i don't know how well these images will come across being so downsized but here are a few from the 35 from the weekend.

I'll go out this afternoon and do some proper comparison shots and post the raws here from the old model vs the new one.