Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

645Z Computer System Poll

Interested in hearing about the computer systems people are using to work with their 645Z images.

I've been using my 4 year old laptop and it gets the job done pretty well. It's a PC, Asus G74SX-A1 with 32gb ram, 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD and 3gb NVDIA GEForce 560m video card. I have it calibrated with Colormunki Photo. Proud to say this laptop keeps up with a Dell Precision business class workstation with two 8 core xeons, 32gb ram, 3gb NVDIA Quadro graphics card and two 512gb SSDs that I use at work.

Maybe use the form below?

PC, Mac or Other:__________
Desktop or Laptop:_________
Make:___________________
Model:___________________
Year:____________________
Ram Amount:_____________
SSD and/or HDD:__________
Graphics GPU and GPU Ram:____
Color profile:______________

11-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the system that can handle it. I simply need the camera to go with it! My final build is on page two of my new computer build thread in the lounge.

I did get to handle a 645z. I would love one. I can't justify the outlay for one, but I would love one and a set of lenses to go with it.
11-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

well i have a top of the line imac but it really struggled on 645z files. mind you, I'm trying to edit 1000-2000 at once from a wedding. I don't think it'd bother a landscape guy.

So I built a PC (I used to be an IT guy)

4ghz i7 overclocked to 4.8ghz
32gb 3200mhz ddr4 running at 3600mhz
A m.2 samsung ssd drive for OS / LR catalogues (this thing does 2000mb/s)
2 x 1tb samsung SSD drives running in Raid0 (does about 960mb/s)
A 6gb GTX 980ti video card - ridiculously overkill and not needed.
A 32" 4k screen with xrite calibrator

this setup screams, but lightroom is still a dog of a program.
11-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
well i have a top of the line imac but it really struggled on 645z files. mind you, I'm trying to edit 1000-2000 at once from a wedding. I don't think it'd bother a landscape guy.

So I built a PC (I used to be an IT guy)

4ghz i7 overclocked to 4.8ghz
32gb 3200mhz ddr4 running at 3600mhz
A m.2 samsung ssd drive for OS / LR catalogues (this thing does 2000mb/s)
2 x 1tb samsung SSD drives running in Raid0 (does about 960mb/s)
A 6gb GTX 980ti video card - ridiculously overkill and not needed.
A 32" 4k screen with xrite calibrator

this setup screams, but lightroom is still a dog of a program.

Yes, that is a screaming system! Thanks for sharing that. What would be the maximum ram you could drop in that?

11-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys are so spoiled. I worked with my 500 MB scans of 6x7 film using Windows XP and the 3 GB switch.
11-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by 72ndPoolShark Quote
Yes, that is a screaming system! Thanks for sharing that. What would be the maximum ram you could drop in that?
it can take 64 but I don't think 16gb ddr4 chips are readily available.
11-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
it can take 64 but I don't think 16gb ddr4 chips are readily available.
B&H has them. Of course I ended up getting a mobo with 8 slots for it so got to 64gb (it can hold 128) much more cheaply than using 16gb sticks.

11-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Intel's new Broadwell X99 CPUs just got leaked, and the top of the line CPU is a 10-core model, with new 8 & 6-core models coming as well, early next year.

Seems like a good time to finally dump my old iMac.
11-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

10 cores, better than my 6 core 5820k.....
11-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i did a custom build PC a couple years ago. it has:

Intel i-7 4770k 3.5GHz
32 GB RAM
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard
NVIDIA GTX650 graphics board
Dual wide screen monitors, ViewSonic 24" and LG 22"
Datacolor Spyder5pro monitor calibrator
256Gb SSD for boot & some programs
5 or 6 reasonably sized hard drives (1-5TB each)
Corsair ammo box metal case
Win10 Pro

I bought everything at Fry's and assembled it easily with no prior experience. This is a good way to go, IMO.

Last edited by mikeSF; 11-13-2015 at 02:24 PM.
11-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for this guys. I've always been partial to the portability of laptops and I know, dollar for dollar, I can get twice as much computer power in a desktop. It's just that I like to take my computer with me when traveling, going to friends, etc, etc. That way, I can edit in the hotel room, on location or where ever.

I might investigate an idea I've had of building a 'portable desktop'. I figure all it takes is computer case with a handle on it. After all, for me the term 'laptop' is in name only. A bluetooth LCD with a foldout keyboard would be just the thing for this. Figure out a way to carry it in one tight package and voila... a new market is born. Yeah, all in one's like iMacs are portable, but I look at those as being even more cooling deprived than a laptop, so I've never been a fan. Maybe a large pelican case with internal padding would be the ticket. Mad scientist here...
11-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 72ndPoolShark Quote
I might investigate an idea I've had of building a 'portable desktop'. I figure all it takes is computer case with a handle on it. After all, for me the term 'laptop' is in name only. A bluetooth LCD with a foldout keyboard would be just the thing for this. Figure out a way to carry it in one tight package and voila... a new market is born. Yeah, all in one's like iMacs are portable, but I look at those as being even more cooling deprived than a laptop, so I've never been a fan. Maybe a large pelican case with internal padding would be the ticket. Mad scientist here...
There are actually plenty of mITX cases with handles on them, and due to clever design you can fit a high-end processor and full-size GPU in many of them, though the most compact one I've seen is the SilverStone ML08b seen here:

If you really wanted to, you could fit a 5960X, 32GB RAM and a Titan X in this thing using the ASRock X99 ITX board.
11-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #13

2012 15" MacbookPro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with SSD driver. NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card. 16 Mb RAM. El Capitano OS. ProRGB profile. DataColor Spyder5 Pro calibrator. DNA software thru Lightroom CC to tethering.
11-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
There are actually plenty of mITX cases with handles on them, and due to clever design you can fit a high-end processor and full-size GPU in many of them, though the most compact one I've seen is the SilverStone ML08b seen here:

If you really wanted to, you could fit a 5960X, 32GB RAM and a Titan X in this thing using the ASRock X99 ITX board.
Wow, I haven't seen something like that. That's closer to what I had in mind, but not really there. I mean picture tying to carry that thing through an airport, with those feet and permanently open side vents. Although, maybe you have something there.

What I'd like is something that would look like a large thick briefcase and be as easy to carry around, with some easy means to attach a monitor and keyboard for transport. It would seam that you could fit some decent hardware in something of that size. Granted a full on desktop computer could still go further, but this could offer more power than your highest end laptops for conceivably a lot less money.

The whole concept of 'laptop' as the only means of a portable computer just seams dated. As well, the concept of truly powerful computers having to be locked down to a desk is just as dated. My thoughts are 1) laptops like mine (Asus G74SX) is something that very few people use on their lap since it is huge. 2) nowadays, keyboards and monitors can be light weight, flat and wireless, you could use those on your lap if you wish if they were a separate combined product with that intention in the design, or you could use it at a table.

Corsair makes some cool looking portable boxes, but they seem more inline with someone wanting to go to video game LAN parties and less for the portability side. Anyway, this is the sort of thing I spend about 5 to 10 minutes thinking of doing myself then conclude it best to hope a computer company would do someday soon since I don't have the abilities in that sort of thing.

Last edited by 72ndPoolShark; 11-14-2015 at 03:16 PM.
11-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #15

Mac Pro 2013 / 64GB ram ...
Best working Machine so far