Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

645 shutter release button stopped compressing mid roll - troubleshooting w/ no luck

My Pentax 645 (manual slr) camera stopped working in the middle of a roll. I've tried troubleshooting but no luck.
I'm able to see the lit up red readout inside, as well as the LCD readout on top, but went ahead and changed batteries. Disconnected grip. Moved batteries around and still won't release shutter when press button. Should I try a new grip?
I've had the camera for a while and over the past few years have to toggle the switch from on to off to on again to get the shutter release button to click and release. Now it just won't work. It did really bother me before... Just accepted it as being quirky. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

11-16-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by birdgirl55 Quote
My Pentax 645 (manual slr) camera stopped working in the middle of a roll. I've tried troubleshooting but no luck.
I'm able to see the lit up red readout inside, as well as the LCD readout on top, but went ahead and changed batteries. Disconnected grip. Moved batteries around and still won't release shutter when press button. Should I try a new grip?
I've had the camera for a while and over the past few years have to toggle the switch from on to off to on again to get the shutter release button to click and release. Now it just won't work. It did really bother me before... Just accepted it as being quirky. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Since you have changed batteries with no luck, I would suggest (If you haven't already) to clean the battery terminals in the chamber and on the batteries. Are your batteries re-chargeable, or non-re-chargeable? Also, since you have had to "Jiggle the handle" as it were, you may need a new off/on switch as the contacts may be worn down to where there is no contact. You can also call around and get an estimate that hopefully will not be exorbitant.

Good luck.

Tonytee
11-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As it is an original 645 film camera that you are using you could try and change the grip with another one.

In a changing bag, or a blacked out room you could also remove the film cassette and replace it with another one and see how that works. It could be the film transport is damaged.

Regards

Chris
11-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by birdgirl55 Quote
I've had my 645 since '86 and it has gone thru what you've described, and without me doing anything, fixed itself. It sounds like you're getting power, but not to the shutter or drive motor. Have you disconnected the power grip from the body, and then reconnected it? What I've also had to do was to unscrew the manual advance dial on the bottom, and then connect to the opposite side to manually activate the shutter/mirror and then manually advance the film. That seems to reset it when there may have been a power disconnect at just the wrong moment.
On the day after the Fukushima Tsunami, I led a group of 20 to Lanai, Hawaii, and for the one and only time, did not bring a back up camera...just my 645. Of course, the 645 would not fire no matter what I tried, and I surrendered myself to collecting seashells while everyone else got some great images. I tried every trick to get it to "reboot", but nothing worked. When I returned home to Oahu, I was ready to send it to be repaired and wanted to describe everything that I tried but didn't work. Immediately the camera worked perfectly and no matter what I tried (since then) I have not been able to get it to fail.
The only other thing that may or may not help you....I believe there is a lithium cell in the camera that needs replacing about once every 10 years or so. Have you been going from extremes of dry cold to warmer more humid air?