Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
645Z Raw Converter??

AS a self confessed pixel peeper I'm interested to know which converter you guys are using for your 645Z/D files. I have been using Capture One for my Canon files prior to getting the 645Z. Obviously now I need something else. I have been using LR CC by default because its convenient, its obviously not the best when it comes to image quality imho. I have tried the included Pentax software which is far too slow with no gains in IQ as far as I can see. I use iridient developer for my Fuji files which seems to do a good job with the Pentax files too. I'm currently testing out DXO Optics Pro 10 which so far looks promising.

11-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Also a former C1 user here that I regret not having to process my 645Z files with. oh well. what I don't regret is moving away from my Canon system, even if there were some tangible benefits to it's algorithms, it wouldn't have magically given me 3~4 extra stops of DR.

For the time being I'm content with Lightroom, it's definitely not the mess it used to be in the pre-v4 days, and most other options are either just not as good, or are too obtuse to use as a daily driver. I may try out DXO OP10, but my experience with it 4-5 versions ago wasn't that great.
11-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom. Never used anything else so I don't have anything to compare to.
11-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always used Lightroom too, but I've dabbled with RawTherapee, and I would give it a slight edge in the IQ race, (of course depending on your develop settings). I definitely like RT's sharpening tools better than Lightroom 5...

11-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

Here is a link to a thread on getDPI | Photography at its best. A technically capable individual developed an alternative DNG profile for the 645Z that can be used as a LR plugin. Users seem to universally agree it is superior to the LR profile for the 645Z. The profile can be downloaded at no charge.

New custom DNG profile for Pentax 645z
11-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the reply guys! *Update* DXO OP 10 is not the ONE after all. It has some great stuff but I'm starting to miss capture one now.
As I said LR wins a lot of fans by default its not til you compare it to something else will you see the difference. Head scratching time

---------- Post added 11-17-15 at 11:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Here is a link to a thread on getDPI | Photography at its best. A technically capable individual developed an alternative DNG profile for the 645Z that can be used as a LR plugin. Users seem to universally agree it is superior to the LR profile for the 645Z. The profile can be downloaded at no charge.

New custom DNG profile for Pentax 645z
Thanks for this although I'm not sure its specifically a colour thing, will this improve the conversion too?

---------- Post added 11-17-15 at 12:05 PM ----------

Being new to Pentax, is there a reason why they cannot make their own software that is usable?
11-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my own education, what do you find Capture One does better than Lightroom? My quick research on Google indicates C1 and DXO do a bit better at preserving highlights and at transitions to blown areas, and maybe better at noise reduction. There was also discussion of getting punchier (more saturated, contrasty) conversions, but I would've thought you could deal with that via LR adjustments. I'm definitely curious about the highlights/noise reduction, though, as LR isn't great at transitions from blown areas (very harsh transition IMHO). Bad enough, in fact, that if I have a truly blown area I won't even try to recover any highlights as it only makes it worse. Anything else you find noteworthy?

11-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
For my own education, what do you find Capture One does better than Lightroom? My quick research on Google indicates C1 and DXO do a bit better at preserving highlights and at transitions to blown areas, and maybe better at noise reduction. There was also discussion of getting punchier (more saturated, contrasty) conversions, but I would've thought you could deal with that via LR adjustments. I'm definitely curious about the highlights/noise reduction, though, as LR isn't great at transitions from blown areas (very harsh transition IMHO). Bad enough, in fact, that if I have a truly blown area I won't even try to recover any highlights as it only makes it worse. Anything else you find noteworthy?
Hi, one can use Capture One if you use the Capture Fix program...can process out and everything..I have posted a new thread asking what are good general settings besides setting ICC profile to a camera that uses the same Sony sensor....
11-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

Lightroom cc with a good profile

So much head room in the z files that to make the most of them...photoshop becomes the answer
11-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
From my experience the native applications offer the best conversion for obvious reasons. Processing fuji files in Silky Pixs the results are impressive, same with Canon and DPP etc. The problem is these apps offer only partial workflows, meaning other apps need to be used. Don't get me wrong Capture One is far from perfect rather a happy medium which offers the best of Lightroom with better conversion. Granted I'm yet to try CO Pro with the Pentax files so I could be barking up the wrong tree here. But I'm guessing there is a reason why Alex Munuoz has gone to such lengths to use CO Pro with his 645Z files.
11-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #11

Alex might be sort of a Pentax secret agent in a way as well....
11-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #12
Carsten_R

You can use Capture One after renaming "Model" in Exif from 645z to IQ250. I give you right that C1 is better, but most often I just use LR for ease of use. Sometimes I try alternatively a conversion with Photo Ninja, especially for black and White.

Carsten
11-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Carsten_R Quote
You can use Capture One after renaming "Model" in Exif from 645z to IQ250. I give you right that C1 is better, but most often I just use LR for ease of use. Sometimes I try alternatively a conversion with Photo Ninja, especially for black and White.

Carsten
I've heard this but sounds like overkill for me life is far too short! I believe Photo Ninja V2 is imminent... I wait with baited breath.
11-29-2015, 02:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hi some of you may find this helpful. After more testing I have found Lightroom to be frustratingly poor at raw conversion for my Fuji files and now my Pentax files. Granted if you never used anything else you may not be aware of the shortcomings. I have found that Apple Aperture does a stellar job with way more tonal range and clarity with the 645d files. For the 645z Iridient Developer is impressive as Aperture does not support the 645z files. Iridient seems to give consistently good results across most brands but some initial colour profile settings may be required.
12-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Carsten_R Quote

Carsten
Can you provide more details on this fix? I have Capture one 9 and it won't recognize my 645Z files (which I am aware of). You say that if you chance the "Model" to IQ250 it will work. I can't find how to do that.

Thanks