Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Thank you very much. That make me feel very good. Watching the news at this precise moment, after today's additional events in Paris, it is indeed an extremely tense and emotional time. Things like lenses and cameras seem so incredibly futile and useless to me right now. Anyway, thank you for your kind comment.
I also wish all of you in Paris the best during these trying times. I lived in the New York Metropolitan area during both World Trade Center attacks so I know what you are all feeling in France. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I do plan to visit Paris and France within the next year. I would expect I would keep my gear compact and biased towards wide angle, similar to when I go to NYC for visits. I would think I would be covered with K-3 and 4 limiteds: DA 15, 21, 40 and 70 mm. All would fit into a small inconspicuous messenger style shoulder bag.

11-19-2015, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't live in Manhattan or Paris. Hats off to those who are there and bravely making it day by day. I spent a week in Manhattan the following January after the September 11th attacks. I stayed out of lower Manhattan because I could not bear to look but I recall how weird I felt on top of the Empire State Building watching planes flying in and around NYC. My stomach was fluttery and I felt so odd - because intellectually I knew that the odds were about as likely as a flock of supermodels all deciding that I had to be theirs for the night... but still that nagging feeling of wrongness and fear was in the back of the brain hammering to get out.

I can't imagine being there day after day.

In the spring I get to see if the feeling is still buried in there when I go to Paris.
11-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

My wife and I have made many trips to Paris and have had several driving vacations in France, always with photo gear, most times more than needed. Even with a car, you will do a lot of walking in Paris and the 28-45mm is not a walk-about-lens (at least for me) and will draw too much attention. I would suggest the 35, 55 or 75 and 150mm as a kit for walking around. Just my 2 cents of experience. As for the danger: likely you are in more danger driving to the airport.
Tom
11-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well, some ideas :
Paris is beautiful around sunset (golden hours & blue hours), it's called "city of light" for a reason. And of course very crowded and full of pickpocket (maybe some kamikazes too)
Normandy : go straight to Mont St-Michel, worth a day or two shooting from many angles
Monaco : you can take a bus to go Nice-Cannes-Monaco for a few € and shoot the whole Côte d'Azur
Bordeaux : do not forget Dune de Pilat, the highest dune in Europe, you have forest on one side and the ocean on the other side, it's absolutely a must on your list !

About the gear, I don't have the 645z so I have no idea, but if it was me, I might bring only 2 lens (love light weight gears), it might be a constraint but it will force you to see differently also (produce some photos people don't usually see)

11-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'll just buy a whole new system then with a smaller body and a bunch of smaller primes, jeez.

Starting to wonder why I even started this thread, with the rubbish about needing bullet proof vests, being more brave than others even thinking about going, now I need to not be a bother to my wife and take a kit I have no interest in.

I have a deal with my wife when we are traveling, no tripod during the day and we only have time for quick iPhone selfies as a reminder of where we've been, or if my camera comes out it has to be quick while she is wandering nearby. So no I won't be a bother to her.

The other part of the deal is that I get mornings before breakfast and evenings before dinner plus I am welcome to do any night shooting if th r opportunity arises and it doesn't get in the way of quality time.

So yes, I will be taking the 645z and there won't be any fussing, I simply don't take a lot of photos. I will mention this again, I am taking a small sling bag during the day just to keep the body with one lens attached, most likely a wide, with a short tele as spare.

Everything else stays at the hotel or car during the day until I need it for mornings or evenings.

Also, thank you vey much to those who have offered advice on where to visit, we don't know much about the country and apart from the flights we have not planned the trip at all yet. It's most helpful.

RedCat, yes keeping it to 2 lenses is the way to go. I would normally make it just the 35mm prime (28eq) and the 80-160. But a fear that 28 just won't be wide enough say inside a cathedral or tight city street. For the country areas the 28 will be just fine though.

I am also half tempted to swap the 80-160 for the 90macro as it has OS and crop if needed just to have the OS.
11-20-2015, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just on paper, I reckon the 28-45 and the 90 macro would make a pretty potent two lens kit. With the cropping headroom of the z and the sharpness of the 90 you could get images which look like they were shot at 300.
11-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #22

Not sure if I'm too late to the party but if I was going to france I'd definitely take the 645z. I'd prob take the 35/3.5 & 75/2.8 - I think that would cover me pretty well.

11-25-2015, 02:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Definitely not too late Gavin.

I mostly shoot longer than 50/60mm, more like 90mm for me, but I don't own the 120mm.

The 35mm is a must, just still debating the 28-45 for the tight spots and times when I need OS.
11-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
... still debating the 28-45 for the tight spots and times when I need OS.
And you will encounter tight spots, particularly in places like a cathedral (Sainte Chapelle, Notre Dame, Sainte Cecile in Albi or the Pantheon and even outside these fabulous buildings. Everything is so big you need to shoot wide to get it in the frame.

Peter.
11-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Everything else stays at the hotel or car during the day until I need it for mornings or evenings.
I wouldn't leave any camera equipment in a rental car anywhere in the world, especially in Europe. Rental cars are a target and get stolen or broken into.

My cousin & family were in Europe and left their suitcases in the rental car overnight for a quick morning getaway, in the morning the car was empty.

Phil.
11-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I wouldn't leave any camera equipment in a rental car anywhere in the world, especially in Europe. Rental cars are a target and get stolen or broken into.

My cousin & family were in Europe and left their suitcases in the rental car overnight for a quick morning getaway, in the morning the car was empty.

Phil.
So because it happened to someone you know once it must happen all the time?
11-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
So because it happened to someone you know once it must happen all the time?
It's pretty common in Europe as petty crime. When you rent a car you will quickly find out which countries you are allowed to drive into, some are forbidden by the rental companies due to high theft rates.

Been through this many times, but nothing has ever happened to me.

As for leaving camera equipment in any car anywhere is not a good idea, just common sense.

Phil.
11-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

It's pretty common in Europe as petty crime. When you rent a car you will quickly find out which countries you are allowed to drive into, some are forbidden by the rental companies due to high theft rates.

Been through this many times, but nothing has ever happened to me.

As for leaving camera equipment in any car anywhere is not a good idea, just common sense.

Phil.
I'd say that Europe is no worse or better than anywhere else in the world. Driving a hire car across a border restrictions are more to do with insurance for accidents than anything else. But don't let that get in the way of a generalisation.
11-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I'd say that Europe is no worse or better than anywhere else in the world.
Correct, but the OP is going to rent a car in Europe. The same caution should be taken on a train in Europe, with leaving a camera bag in a luggage rack above your seat or at the end of the car.

Note: The car rental country exclusion list was due to car theft and not accidents, the more the car was worth the fewer counties you could drive the car to. (That's what the agent told me)

The point I'm trying to make is that's it's better to be safe with your gear than sorry no matter where you live or visit, especially with a costly 645Z.

Phil.
11-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Correct, but the OP is going to rent a car in Europe. The same caution should be taken on a train in Europe, with leaving a camera bag in a luggage rack above your seat or at the end of the car.

Note: The car rental country exclusion list was due to car theft and not accidents, the more the car was worth the fewer counties you could drive the car to. (That's what the agent told me)

The point I'm trying to make is that's it's better to be safe with your gear than sorry no matter where you live or visit, especially with a costly 645Z.

Phil.
so why did you say especially in Europe?