Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Thank you for your replay.

Although I LOVE my K3, the Three Amigos along with my Tammy 70-200, I feel the outstanding images I get from the package do no stand up to mega size prints. I shoot panos a lot but even then the resolution is not enough for detailed large prints (40"x120") unless I do multi-row panos which is a lot more work and processing time.

How large have you gone with your prints?
3 meters wide so far.

11-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Gareth,

Thank you for the comparo. Sony looks very compelling indeed. I know the 645Z is superior but what about cost in weight and $$$ compared to say a Sony A7RII and a couple of Zeiss lenses vs. 645Z plus a few of the newer lenses.

I am sitting on the fence whether to let go of my DSLR outfit (K3+primes) and switch to a higher res platform. In anticipation of the 645Z, I have purchased a few legacy 645 lenses but I am still not sure if it is the right decision to go with the 645Z as opposed to the smaller Sony with much larger lens portfolio.

My focus is nature and printing big prints for presentation. I know on most of the tests, at least viewing on the monitor, 645Z is being seriously challenged. However, I have not seen any comparison large prints made from these cameras to see if the differences are as apparent on an actual print (30x40" and above).

Have you printed any large prints for presentation? Are the advantages of the 645Z as apparent there as well?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Boris
Good to hear you liked the post.

I rarely print anything larger than A4. The only thing I can think of that I have printed larger than A4 is a landscape of beautiful Glencoe, which was 3 frames shot on the 5d III and stitched together. It looks great A1 size in my office. So I'm really in no position to comment on large prints from the 645Z or the A7RII I'm afraid.

In terms of the cost/weight balance, if I personally had to choose one or the other - a Sony body and a three of the Zeiss primes seems a more attractive proposition, especially given what I predominantly shoot (portraiture). That is a difficult choice to make, they both offer so much. Are you able to hire them both for a weekend? I think it would be worth the outlay.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the user experience on the Sony A7r II, as echoed by Danielduarte above. Personally I've not really noticed these. For the most part any niggles I've had I've put down to the usual switching from one system to another. Although the over sensitive EVF eye shut off is a real nuisance and something I hope Sony can patch through firmware.
11-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Iwan Jones Quote
I've recently taken hold of the new Sony A7r II and thought i'd have a go at a little side by side comparison with my Pentax 645Z. Also threw the Canon 5dIII in for fun.

Pretty interesting results. It's no double blind precision trial, but if you were wondering how the Sony compares in real world applications have a look - Sony A7r II vs Pentax 645Z vs Canon 5dmk III ? | Photographer Gareth Iwan Jones |

G
Just remember to take in account all the "side things" you will need (like battery).

The A7 series are very weak in the batterie department : batteries depleat quite fast, whereas the Canon and Pentax are clearly in another league.

So keep in mind all those sides things you will need in your bag too.

For the rest, it was very interesting as a test ! Thanks !
11-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I have the A7RII, and I would agree that the Z is better in pretty much every way. The RII comes into its own in situations where I am now, in Scandinavia on small planes and travelling with others where it simply wasn't practical for me to bring the Z. There have been times when I wish I had it with me, such as today, when we went around and about Ulstenvik in Norway. Stunning light at times, but no time to mess about with the Z to do the camera justice. A7RII and the Loxia 35 f/2 and you have a lightweight easy to use camera and lens that you can just grab and go with. It's meant I can carry everything in a small camera bag and keep mobile. I'm picking up the 25 f/2 Batis next week.
I agree that the size is very useful and a refreshing change, i'm looking forward to travelling light.

I do have a little niggle in the back of my mind about clients on shoots and wondering why I'm using such a small camera. Sounds ridiculous but I'm pretty sure it will happen.

11-23-2015, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Iwan Jones Quote
I agree that the size is very useful and a refreshing change, i'm looking forward to travelling light.

I do have a little niggle in the back of my mind about clients on shoots and wondering why I'm using such a small camera. Sounds ridiculous but I'm pretty sure it will happen.
That niggle will go when you produce the work from it, and the quality lenses make up for a lack of girth on the camera itself. Especially if you use an iPad or tablet and show them the results via the wifi app.

My number one choice would always go to the Z. But if the weight or size of the Z system is ever an issue, then the A7RII is still a great camera, better than much of the competition. With the Loxia 35 f/2 I can actually get it in to (albeit large) coat pocket. The Z is better for sure, but a good photographer and image processor will be able to get fantastic results from the A7RII. The files are about the same size with the uncompressed raw as the Z.

---------- Post added 11-23-15 at 04:27 AM ----------

I think the key lens is going to be the 24 - 70 on the A7 series. There is talk of a f/2.8 native FE. The f/4 is ok, but not stellar. You can get good results from it stopped down, but I find the Tamron with an adaptor more useful as I have a real distance scale on the lens rather than relying on focussing by wire. Manual focussing with native FE lens is my biggest bug bear with the camera, as it is imprecise. But with Zeiss lenses like the Loxia and Batis and third party lenses you can sidestep this. At some point, it would be great to be able to programme into the camera what distance you want to focus to in the distance scale of your choice, metres or feet... The technology is there
11-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Renting the two systems...

QuoteQuote:
=Are you able to hire them both for a weekend? I think it would be worth the outlay.
Hi Gareth,

I might do that and get a first hand experience myself. The only thing holding me back is the eminent release of the FF from Pentax. Since I am in no hurry and have waited so long, I may wait another few months and see how the Pentax FF performs.

As far as user interface on the Sony and the Pentax, I have held and shot with both cameras in camera shows more than once. I did not mind the bulk of the 645Z but for long hauls it will be an issue for sure. At least for my aging body. Frankly, I hated the original Sony A7 the first time I held it. It felt clunky and the button layout was counter intuitive... and I really did not like the EVF. But that was the original A7. I have not tried the latest A7 but had a chance to check out the A77 (the DSLR) and I was really impressed with the quality of the EVF. It was miles ahead of the original A7 EVF. As a matter of fact it was so good that I thought I was looking through an OVF!

As I mentioned, I shot with the Z and the A7 and brought back the files to my computer for analysis but show floor images are far from real world images I generally shoot.
11-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Interesting article and it confirms my feelings about the Z in comparison with the Canon 5D3 which I also own. My Canon has become my wildlife or general purpose camera. The A7R looks good in terms of image quality but as a camera it is not a patch on the Z as far as useage and durability. Also for landscapes I prefer the bigger body as it resists wind shake way better. I have never handled an A7R but it looks like it would feel like my A6000 which I don't like much.

11-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I basically realized that my short stint with the A7RII was never meant to be solely based on what I shoot... It's meant to be a "ninja" camera especially when used with native FE glass. The Sony Zeiss 55 is sharp and small so toss a little gaffers on the labels and you're in for the best street camera. However, I don't shoot street and I think I needed to buy (and return using BH ample return policy) to just solidify that fact.
11-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielduarte Quote
I basically realized that my short stint with the A7RII was never meant to be solely based on what I shoot... It's meant to be a "ninja" camera especially when used with native FE glass. The Sony Zeiss 55 is sharp and small so toss a little gaffers on the labels and you're in for the best street camera. However, I don't shoot street and I think I needed to buy (and return using BH ample return policy) to just solidify that fact.
The A7RII is so much more versatile than for street. Sure it can be discrete, but it also shoots well for landscapes - Joe Cornish uses the original, and it enables me to get some good landscapes when I don't want/am unable to lug the Z around.

This was taken with the A7RII and the batis 25 f/2

I am heading to El Salvador soon, and unsure whether to take any camera with me due to security. But I wouldn't take the Z, but might take the A7RII with the Loxia and the Batis
11-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #25

Looks way over-sharpened here for some reason. Looks much better when I click on it and view it in Flickr. Still, it does not approach the work you do with the Z in terms of IQ.

The A7RII is so much more versatile than for street. Sure it can be discrete, but it also shoots well for landscapes - Joe Cornish uses the original, and it enables me to get some good landscapes when I don't want/am unable to lug the Z around.

This was taken with the A7RII and the batis 25 f/2

I am heading to El Salvador soon, and unsure whether to take any camera with me due to security. But I wouldn't take the Z, but might take the A7RII with the Loxia and the Batis
11-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
Looks way over-sharpened here for some reason. Looks much better when I click on it and view it in Flickr. Still, it does not approach the work you do with the Z in terms of IQ.
I agree. Rocks on the left have quite a bit of artifacts.

That said, that is probably more a processing choice and in a lot of situations one would have difficulty telling the difference between the A7r II and 645z at web sizes.
11-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

That is something I've noticed. It didn't look as sharpened as that on my screen. Here is a reduced sharpening version

11-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
Pentaxian

pretty colors and a strong composition for sure!
11-25-2015, 02:56 AM   #29

Original Poster
That is something I've noticed. It didn't look as sharpened as that on my screen. Here is a reduced sharpening version

Bracelet Bay! I do love the Mumbles. Nice pic.
12-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #30
Forum Member

A lovely photo. The colors are dreamy.