Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielduarte Quote
It was a simple question.
Personally I would have swapped the camera and then if another fault, ask for money back. As there is a 2 year warranty, any manufacturing faults are dealt with FOC...

12-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donesteban Quote
Well, if I use peaking without using the magnify function, so that I can see the whole frame, the peaking light is on far too long. It doesn't say that area is sharp when checked at 100%. It says is is sharp in a 4x6" print or something like that.
The focus indicator in a DSLR is much more precise, its light is only on if that area is really sharp.

Off course one can use the magnify function to get more precise peaking, but then you end up again klicking to set the magnification, klicking to move to the part of the frame you'd like to set sharp.

I'd like to have peaking like a foucs indicator: See the whole frame, and any area that shows thos epeaking is sharp at 100%.
I've never found the focus indicator to be all that useful compared to focus peaking. the indicator tells you that something in the focus area is sharp, but not necessarily what. Focus peaking is a skill to be learned and it doesn't sound to me like you've very experienced at it. One needs to have the amplification of the peaking indicator at its lowest level that will still provide indication under the ambient light conditions. And then focus peaking will not work at all at low light/low contrast levels. Thats why of course that magnification is also needed. But OVF also doesn't work very well in low light conditions, either, thats why live view exists - love it or not.

Hasselblad really has had some remarkable sales going on BHPhoto and i suppose other retailers. Like $14,000 instant rebates on a $28,000 camera. I suspect that its the result of ongoing competition from high mpx cameras from Pentax 645z, Canon, Nikon and Sony. So many cameras have reached that standards bar of "good enough" that we're now down to figuring out specific applications where one camera model might be a bit better or worse than another one. And might have one feature that works better for a specific application. I'm delighted to a be a photographer in this period of time and have such a variety of tools to pick from.
12-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #48
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donesteban Quote
Well, if I use peaking without using the magnify function, so that I can see the whole frame, the peaking light is on far too long.
that's because you have the peaking level set too high... peaking is most accurate when you can barely see it, with the evf set to b&w mode.

getting the most accurate peaking level will vary with the lens that's used, it takes practice to learn how to operate an evf camera the right way, but even when peaking is working optimally, better than any ovf camera, it's still not as accurate as magnification... the ideal situation is sometimes a combination of both at the same time, but that could mean that the peaking is then too bright at 100% view(no magnification), as you described.

---------- Post added 12-26-15 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
In my view (and as evidenced by the following comparison), Canon has the Gold Standard for stable Live View photography so it is presented as the baseline at 1/100.
these days, the gold standard for stable live view is the a7rii, because it has ibis, and efcs, which means zero shutter shock up to a usable 1/1000th?? Fastest EFCS shutter speed usable on the a7RII?: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

efcs with the d810 is in mirror-up mode only, which makes it fairly useless, and the 5dsr only supports efcs when it's in lv mode?? see the horshak comments: "Agreed, but the D810’s quirkiness regarding EFCS+MUP is separate from whether the 5DSR provides unique functionality with its MUP delay – since the 5DSR doesn’t support an EFCS outside of LV and because it doesn’t support the MUP delay inside of LV its MUP delay feature is functionality identical to the D810’s Exposure Delay feature – they both provide the ability to raise the mirror and keep it there for 2-3 seconds with a single shutter press but neither supports an EFCS with that functionality.

Btw you can work around the D810’s two-button MUP requirement by using the interval timer, at least when bracketing, which is how I used the D810 when I had it. It might also work outside of bracketing as well." Review: The Canon 5DSR, part I ? solo ? Ming Thein | Photographer

so in the bigger picture, what we see there with the best ff ovf cameras is that a mirror in the camera cripples the capability of the camera; it also makes the camera bigger and heavier, and it increases the cost to design/manufacture... the future is going to be mirrorless, i think.

i don't own a 645z, but the iso noise performance looks like a compelling enough reason to own the camera, over any ff camera that's on the market today.

Last edited by osv; 12-26-2015 at 11:44 AM.
12-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #49

That's a great comparison, and really shows how wonderful the 645z is. A great tool in the hands of a good photographer.

12-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #50

OSV, please review the link I provided above. It is undeniably clear that Canon is the system to beat at least at 1/100. The A7r II may be more effective for hand held shooting than the others but who does that?

I asked DPR to include the Pentax 645z in their Shutter shock comparison tool by the way.
12-27-2015, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

OSV, please review the link I provided above. It is undeniably clear that Canon is the system to beat at least at 1/100. The A7r II may be more effective for hand held shooting than the others but who does that?

I asked DPR to include the Pentax 645z in their Shutter shock comparison tool by the way.
I do the handholding thing at lot more with the A7r2 than i ever did before. And the sharpness at low shutter speeds is amazing. I'm going to be the featured artist in a March gallery show, and about a third of the pictures i'm going to display at 20"x30" were taken with IBIS at low shutter speeds in twilight conditions. And they look sharp and are, sharp. Tripods are also effective. I just use them a lot less than i did before.
12-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #52
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well, if you turn off efcs on the a7rii, it probably does have worse shutter shock at 1/100th, so you are right in that sense, the new canon shutter is impressive.

however, what you are failing to realize is that there isn't any reason to turn off efcs on the a7rii, because it works just as well on a tripod as it does hand-held; zero shutter shock up to 1/1000th, in all shooting circumstances that i know of? you can't say that about any ovf camera.

so there is no need for the a7rii to have that new canon shutter in it, efcs is much better.

afaik, the a7rii stays in 14-bit mode with efcs enabled, but it drops to 12-bit mode under certain other circumstances: "When the shutter is set to bulb*, or the shutter mode is set to continuous drive, speed-continuous drive, continuous bracketing, A7sís or a7RII's silent shutter, and any possible combination of these, the linear, pre-tone-curve, bit depth of the camera is 12 bits. With all other settings, including single bracketing, the linear bit depth is 13 bits (14 bits for uncompressed raw in cameras that support it).
Sony a7II 12-bit modeís effect on shadows | The Last Word
Bulb: Sony a7RII bulb spatial filtering | The Last Word
*By the way, you should know that, at least on the a7S, a7RII, and a7II, bulb mode invokes some spatial filtering. Oh, those tricky Sony engineers"

so the a7rii isn't a perfect camera by any means, but neither is any other camera, we just have to buy the gear that works for what we need to shoot.
12-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #53

Great stuff. I've always felt the 645Z excels above the rest with highlight detail. Another great comparison between these three cameras would be a landscape with colorful clouds dominating the top 2/3 of the scene. I think I already know what the outcome would be, but to what degree is my curiosity. Still though, I appreciate the work done on this comparison is it is.

12-28-2015, 03:09 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Iwan Jones Quote
Good to hear you liked the post. ....

In terms of the cost/weight balance, if I personally had to choose one or the other - a Sony body and a three of the Zeiss primes seems a more attractive proposition, especially given what I predominantly shoot (portraiture). That is a difficult choice to make, they both offer so much. Are you able to hire them both for a weekend? I think it would be worth the outlay.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the user experience on the Sony A7r II, as echoed by Danielduarte above. Personally I've not really noticed these. For the most part any niggles I've had I've put down to the usual switching from one system to another. Although the over sensitive EVF eye shut off is a real nuisance and something I hope Sony can patch through firmware.
Gareth, thank you for the comparison, very instructive - including the size comparison photo.

I wouldn't know for sure, but i doubt that Sony built the A7r2 as a direct replacement for all DSLRs. The size of the case does impact performance in some applications, like heat, and i doubt that the water resistance of my A7r2 is as good as my K3. Rather, i think Sony designed the A7r2 and its preceeding model line to be "good enough" to take some market share from Canikon FF. I also suspect that Sony engineers would be delighted to read the A7r2 being compared to such a high-flyer as the 645Z.

I recently took a 5 hour walk around tour of the Seattle waterfront adjacent city streets. Carried 2 small native primes and a Pentax M 100 f2.8 lens in a small bag. In the twilight conditions, i got some of the best street scenes i'll probably ever capture. For that application the A7r2 was perfect in its light weight and use.

Regards the oversensitive EVF auto switch, i agree its a nuisance - however there is a fix. In the menu, there's 2 manual toggle options for switching between the EVF and the monitor. Try both of them and i found one of them to offer the best option of switching semi-manually and avoiding the sensitive switch problem. I assigned it to the C4 custom button and it solved the problem for me.