Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

645Z SD Card issue

After I have downloaded pictures from my SD cards, either after taking the card out of the camera, or by using the cable attached to the camera, and I turn the camera back on, I am advised the the card is not formatted. This is a new problem. It did not happen before. It is very annoying, because it means that I have to erase the pictures on the card before I can take more. My firmware version is 1.2.1.

11-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this happen with different cards or just with one card? If just with one it is a problem with the card.
11-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
It has happened with several different cards. I suspect it is not the card.
11-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nortoi Quote
After I have downloaded pictures from my SD cards, either after taking the card out of the camera, or by using the cable attached to the camera, and I turn the camera back on, I am advised the the card is not formatted. This is a new problem. It did not happen before. It is very annoying, because it means that I have to erase the pictures on the card before I can take more. My firmware version is 1.2.1.
This is a common problem. Before taking the card out of the reader or disconnecting the camera, you have to eject the device first. If you get this error put the card back into the computer and eject it, and then the camera will read it properly again.

11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
This is a common problem. Before taking the card out of the reader or disconnecting the camera, you have to eject the device first. If you get this error put the card back into the computer and eject it, and then the camera will read it properly again.
I always eject it first before taking the card out of the reader. I'm using a Mac, and that has become ingrained.

However, I tried what you suggested, out it back in the reader, hooked the reader up to the computer, went to the file menu for the card, and selected "eject." I out the card back in the camera, and go tteh message that the card was not formatted.

Other suggestions?
11-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

1 - Was the card initially formatted in the camera? It ought not matter if the camera was formatted in camera or with your computer, but who knows.

2 - Does your computer write something to the card that might make the camera balk?
11-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
I think it was formatted in the camera. Most of my cards are.

As far as I know, my computer isn't writing anything to the card. When I look at the "created" and "modified" dates in the image files on the card, in my computer, it is the same. It doesn't appear as if the file was modified in the computer after it was created.

11-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

I'm out of suggestions. Before sending the camera in I suggest you try to contact RICOH customer service for some advice. Their responsiveness leaves a lot to be desired, but perhaps you'll strike luck.
11-25-2015, 05:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
I posted here because I had sent a request to Ricoh a week ago and have heard nothing.
11-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is a long shot, but you might try the Secure Digital Association formatter at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html