Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

645Z firmware wishlist

Hello all,

I thought I would start a thread for ideas about firmware features and improvements we would like to see. Who knows - if Pentax look here, it might even encourage them to adopt some of our ideas?!

Here are mine:

1. Longest shutter speeds available without using Bulb mode. With the camera being so good with long exposures, producing excellent results, I often feel that it would be nice to have easy access to shutter speeds of 1, 2 and 4 minutes simply via the shutter speed function in manual mode. And of course it would be great if the auto exposure modes could do this too. And autobracketing being able to make use of these longer speeds too. With a single exposure, it's easier than having to manually time something in Bulb and with bracketing it is much quicker to let the sequence of exposures go out to this duration.
2. With auto exposure bracketing (AEB), I often want to be in manual exposure mode and have the camera bracket the shutter speed (keeping aperture and ISO constant). If you are in manual mode at present, the camera brackets in a way that adjusts the shutter speed. I have read somewhere about some complex ways of changing settings to behave in this way, but have not got the hang of it and would like this to be a simple setting in a menu that can be changed without fuss. And no, bracketing in aperture priority mode would not help me because sometimes I am bracketing frames for a pano sequence so don't want the exposure to be in a auto mode; manual is important for this so that the exposure range is constant across the frames in the pano. But I don't want the aperture to change for reasons of depth of field. (I know I am not alone in this).

Anyone else support these, or have other items on their wish list?

Ed

12-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Hello all,

1. Longest shutter speeds available without using Bulb mode.

Anyone else support these, or have other items on their wish list?

Ed
1. Put me down for that.
2. I would like a custom page in the Menu where I could place my commonly accessed functions.
12-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
2. With auto exposure bracketing (AEB), I often want to be in manual exposure mode and have the camera bracket the shutter speed (keeping aperture and ISO constant). If you are in manual mode at present, the camera brackets in a way that adjusts the shutter speed. I have read somewhere about some complex ways of changing settings to behave in this way, but have not got the hang of it and would like this to be a simple setting in a menu that can be changed without fuss. And no, bracketing in aperture priority mode would not help me because sometimes I am bracketing frames for a pano sequence so don't want the exposure to be in a auto mode; manual is important for this so that the exposure range is constant across the frames in the pano. But I don't want the aperture to change for reasons of depth of field. (I know I am not alone in this).
It's not that hard to set this setting. You need to set green button operation in manual mode to TV-shift.
It can be difficult to discover that this setting is also used for AEB, but once you know how to do it, it is not difficult to set.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/298412-exposure-b...ml#post3295625
12-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
1. Put me down for that.
2. I would like a custom page in the Menu where I could place my commonly accessed functions.
my thoughts exactly...
and btw the blinkies in LV could be more dependable...
cheers
Z

12-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's not that hard to set this setting. You need to set green button operation in manual mode to TV-shift.
It can be difficult to discover that this setting is also used for AEB, but once you know how to do it, it is not difficult to set.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/298412-exposure-b...ml#post3295625

Just done it and it seems to work well - thanks! I still maintain that it would be nice to make this tweak more intuitive and obvious in the firmware, but good to see it can be done. Do you actually need to press the green button to activate this behaviour once in M mode (I have tried it with an without a press, and it seems now to behave how I want even without the press), but have not tested in a range of situations yet, so it would be good to know how you use this.

However, point 1) above I believe would certainly be an innovation.
12-08-2015, 02:16 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see an image compare function as found in the 645D and an image ratings option please.
12-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

- Catch-In Focus

Since its introduction, that's all I've wanted. Please.
12-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Forum Member

I spoke with someone at Pentax about using the firmware to add autofocus points, but he said it was not possible. That the 645z is a closed system and there will be no changes to the autofocus points.

12-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I think that would be a hardware issue, so not something firmware can change. But changing that is not necessary for Catch-In Focus.
12-09-2015, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

i'm a twilight/night shooter and your #1 would be useful as I am always in M mode with bracketing until some point always during the middle of shooting when I need to switch to Bulb mode and dig out my cable release and then manually make my bracketed exposures. A longer than 30 sec shutter would be a nice improvement.
12-09-2015, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just done it and it seems to work well - thanks! I still maintain that it would be nice to make this tweak more intuitive and obvious in the firmware, but good to see it can be done. Do you actually need to press the green button to activate this behaviour once in M mode (I have tried it with an without a press, and it seems now to behave how I want even without the press), but have not tested in a range of situations yet, so it would be good to know how you use this.
You do not need to press the green button, but the operation you choose for the green button is used for AEB too.

QuoteQuote:
However, point 1) above I believe would certainly be an innovation.
I think I would prefer to have 30s - 30min exposures selectable in bulb-mode, and possible to stop manually once started. Plus the normal manually start and stop of the shutter.
It would also be nice to have the time the shutter been open displayed on the LCD (top or back)

Live bulb display on the back LCD would also be nice to have so you can see the image building during capture. But I don't think this is possible with a firmware update.

Like it works on Olympus cameras.
12-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

ive heard of live bulb but never saw an example - ok, that is very cool!
12-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Damn, I want that live bulb - thats incredible!
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If that could be done on the 645Z (with a histogram view in real time as well), that would be amazing.
12-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I will add one to the firmware list,

4k internal video recording. Not for every one I know, but as a filmmaker / photographer its very handy to have a tool that does both.

Given the unique DOF characteristics of the 645Zs format, the 645Z could make for some incredible vision coupled with old and new lenses.