Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Modify Pentax 645z .dng RAW files for Capture One 9

Capture One is one of the leading raw converters around. It features a wide spectrum of tools and provide an amazing speed.
Unfortunately Phase One (the company behind Capture One) hide unsupported cameras.
To use Capture One for Pentax 645z RAW files it is necessary to change the Manufacturer and Model Informations direct in the EXIF part of the RAW file.

For this step you need a tool witch is able to write EXIF informations. It is possible to change the Manufacturer to any value (only "Pentax" is blocked). As demonstration I changed on Image to "Who is Pentax" and one to "Phase One A/S". Both Model Values are changed to "IQ250".
As you see below both files a visible and editable in Capture One 9. But the "Capture One Magic" only applied with the Copy of the IQ250 Data.

And here step for step the way to solve the problem (Windows only, for Mac you need to use the terminal)

1. Download the ExifTool by Phil Harvey ExifTool by Phil Harvey
2. Unzip the .exe file
3. Create a shortcut to the file
4. Edit the shortcut (right click and Properties) and add -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One" -overwrite_original (Yes! with minus)
5. By now the Target should look like "C:/Tool/exiftool" -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One" -overwrite_original
6. To convert your files mark and move your files over the shortcut. For your security create a backup before you convert your RAW files, the ExifTool in this configuration will replace the original file.
7. Open Capture One and enjoy

Just one last point, with this EXIF Modifikation you are may able to use the DB-Version of Capture One 9. Be fair, buy the Pro-Version if this works for you. The DB-Version is free for user who speed a lot of money for there bodies.

You may have a look here for another tool:
CaptureFix 645z ICC profile for Capture One by Alex MunozAlex Munoz – Visualizing Your Story
645Z CaptureFix and Color Profiles

Some information about the Mac OS procedure:
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
in terminal on mac you could do this to do a entire directory

foreach file ( ` ls ` )
/path/exiftool -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One A/S" -overwrite_original $file
end

That would go through a directory listing and run that command on each file.
EDIT:
- more Informations about the MAC OS procedure
- "Phase One" seems to working better than "Phase One A/S"

Attached Images

Last edited by Apotessar; 12-08-2015 at 04:34 AM. Reason: title more clear
12-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very cool! I don't have a MF camera but I appreciate the work you present here. C1 had a problem reading DNGs from my Q7 and I did something similar except I was changing an image resolution value instead of make/model.

How well does C1 support 645Z DNGs this way? I mean, do the colors, saturation, etc all come out nice and sharp?
12-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
From my point of view the Capture One Output is better than the Lightroom Output. Here one quick Comparison:

From left to right
Capture One 9 (Sharpening 0) - Profile IQ250 - Flat Art Reproduction
Lightroom (Sharpening 0) - Profile: dcamprof-v0100-pentax-645z-neutral-plus
Lightroom (Sharpening 0) - Profile: dng included

http://pascalstingl.ch/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Vergleich.jpg
http://pascalstingl.ch/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Vergleich-2.jpg
12-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hi Pascal,
thanks for this,
but I have tried before to get it to work, no luck so far.
what are the exact steps to do this on the mac ?
must have been doing something wrong...
thanks
Z

12-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zobeleye Quote
what are the exact steps to do this on the mac ?......
Good question, try this one (in terminal)

Pathtoexiftool/exiftool -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One A/S" -overwrite_original Pathtoyourfile.dng
12-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

in terminal on mac you could do this to do a entire directory

foreach file ( ` ls ` )
/path/exiftool -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One A/S" -overwrite_original $file
end

That would go through a directory listing and run that command on each file.

---------- Post added 12-07-15 at 03:13 PM ----------

Thanks Apotessar, got this working fine on my PC - I forgot how fast C1 was compared to lightroom.

I wouldn't use C1 to edit a wedding, but it'll be great for certain shots!

Last edited by gavincato; 12-07-2015 at 04:00 PM.
12-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apotessar Quote
Capture One is one of the leading raw converters around. It features a wide spectrum of tools and provide an amazing speed.
Unfortunately Phase One (the company behind Capture One) hide unsupported cameras.
To use Capture One for Pentax 645z RAW files it is necessary to change the Manufacturer and Model Informations direct in the EXIF part of the RAW file.

For this step you need a tool witch is able to write EXIF informations. It is possible to change the Manufacturer to any value (only "Pentax" is blocked). As demonstration I changed on Image to "Who is Pentax" and one to "Phase One A/S". Both Model Values are changed to "IQ250".
As you see below both files a visible and editable in Capture One 9. But the "Capture One Magic" only applied with the Copy of the IQ250 Data.

And here step for step the way to solve the problem (Windows only, for Mac you need to use the terminal)

1. Download the ExifTool by Phil Harvey ExifTool by Phil Harvey
2. Unzip the .exe file
3. Create a shortcut to the file
4. Edit the shortcut (right click and Properties) and add -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One" -overwrite_original (Yes! with minus)
5. By now the Target should look like "C:/Tool/exiftool" -Model=IQ250 -Make="Phase One" -overwrite_original

6. To convert your files mark and move your files over the shortcut. For your security create a backup before you convert your RAW files, the ExifTool in this configuration will replace the original file.
7. Open Capture One and enjoy

Just one last point, with this EXIF Modifikation you are may able to use the DB-Version of Capture One 9. Be fair, buy the Pro-Version if this works for you. The DB-Version is free for user who speed a lot of money for there bodies.

You may have a look here too:
CaptureFix 645z ICC profile for Capture One by Alex MunozAlex Munoz – Visualizing Your Story
Thanks a lot Apotessar.

Do you know what the equivalent camera make/model would be to fudge it for the 645D?

I think perhaps the Hasselblad H4D-40?

12-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #8
Forum Member

thanks for this guys,
only problem is I can't specify where the exiftool gets installed, so I can't define the path that terminal should look for it.
I have installed a couple of times, but can't seem to find the installed programm, not in the applications folder and not from the search function in the finder...
???
too bad
Z
12-08-2015, 04:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for this guys,
only problem is I can't specify where the exiftool gets installed, so I can't define the path that terminal should look for it.
I have installed a couple of times, but can't seem to find the installed programm, not in the applications folder and not from the search function in the finder...
???
too bad
Z
You may have a look here:

Alex provides a programm for Mac & Windows to do the job for you.

---------- Post added 12-08-15 at 04:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lenticular Quote
Thanks a lot Apotessar.

Do you know what the equivalent camera make/model would be to fudge it for the 645D?

I think perhaps the Hasselblad H4D-40?
I don't think so. If that is the same sensor i would not matter because Capture One don't support Hasselblad files.
But the P40+ could be a good starting point.
12-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

aah, figured it out.
it works, colours are ok, haven't checked skintones yet, which would be my main use i.e. the coloureditor to smooth out skintones.
I'll post once i've done that
cheers
Z
12-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #11

thanks for this guys,
???
too bad
Z
open up terminal

type

sudo su -

that puts you in admin priviledges - it will ask for your password

then type

mv /path/exiftool /usr/bin

this puts it in /usr/bin - a common path for programs. obviously edit the above to include where exiftool actually is

from then on you can just type "exiftool" anywhere in terminal and it'll find it without needing the full path.
12-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #12

hey zobeleye sorry I misread your message

you can't find exiftool where it gets installed.

I'm not near a mac at moment but according to the website it gets installed into /usr/bin as I tried to write above. so it should just work, no need to type the path to it.

so from a terminal window just type exiftool
12-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apotessar Quote
You may have a look here:

Alex provides a programm for Mac & Windows to do the job for you.

---------- Post added 12-08-15 at 04:30 AM ----------

I don't think so. If that is the same sensor it would not matter because Capture One don't support Hasselblad files.
But the P40+ could be a good starting point.
Thanks, good point. I think I meant the P40+, based on my own previous delving into this!
12-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
hey zobeleye sorry I misread your message

you can't find exiftool where it gets installed.

I'm not near a mac at moment but according to the website it gets installed into /usr/bin as I tried to write above. so it should just work, no need to type the path to it.

so from a terminal window just type exiftool
thanks Gavin, got it to work, finally...
Z
12-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #15

Been using Alex's Capture Fix, works well....Just upgraded to C1 9 and it works well, worked well with C1 8 also...I'm surprised that you can see lens and shutter info in the Capture One module..there is about a four second delay between shutter release and showing up in the viewer, wish it was half of that, it's very fast with Phase and canons....