Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There is nothing about the Pentax 67 camera body that is remotely translatable to a digital platform, for starters the mirror is huge as well as the shutter. Have you ever set up your 67II camera on a tripod, locked up the mirror, and balance a small glass of water on the pentaprism* housing and fire the shutter at 1/4th of a second? If you have ever done this you will understand my opinion: if you do not understand, I suggest you try it.

Personally I'm not all that hyped over all the mirrorless 35mm systems, but such an approach would have tangible benefits as sensor sizes and pixel densities go up. Digital 67 - with a 49mmX60mm 210MP sensor equipped with a global shutter, that would be a good place to start.

I wouldn't expect to see anything like this before 2030, assuming larger format photography is still a thing by then.

*or if you have it, the top of the waist level viewfinder will do fine.
hm... I often think the mirror slap is exaggerated by online opinions. My personal experience is: it is not that bad. Jonathan Canlas recently shoot w/ 67II and he also think it was not as bad as people think. But I like that people think that way (it is really loud and shaking) - so that there is no sudden rush of people buying P67 and drive up it's prices.

12-11-2015, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I often think the mirror slap is exaggerated by online opinions
Mirror slap is to a large extent controllable, shutter shock there isn't much you can do about it* apart from use a heavy duty tripod head with a large QR platform that can dampen the vibrations.

*well other than completely avoid the shutter speeds where it is most apparent (1/15th~1/2s) , but for some that is completely impractical.
12-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I recall reading articles back in 2012 of the now old CFV-16 being used on System V cameras including the 500C/M ( now that was a cable mess).
12-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Mirror slap is to a large extent controllable, shutter shock there isn't much you can do about it* apart from use a heavy duty tripod head with a large QR platform that can dampen the vibrations.

*well other than completely avoid the shutter speeds where it is most apparent (1/15th~1/2s) , but for some that is completely impractical.
In my relatively short time with the 67 I've found this to be true. I'm not certain, but I believe I've witnessed mirror slap creating problems similar to camera shake (if it's bad and I was lazy) in that it can almost look like a double image. On the tripod however the shutter shock seems to translate simply to a softer, less sharp image, which I've also definitely seen in some of my shots that were taken at or around the speeds you mention. I don't think it's the issue that it's made out to be but has certainly made me more mindful.

12-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sourcing a 6x7 sized digital sensor grafting it onto the back of a P67 and getting the two pieces of kit to communicate is not going to be cheap or easy. It will be a very cool camera, though.

Realistically, one might as well spend the funds on a modern Phase One outfit. For the retro minded, the Hasselblad System V has all the bits already available. For the Pentaxians, the 645Z can do medium format magic. It will even take P67 glass

I have a Hasselblad 500 EL/M myself. Getting back into film is something that I lack the time for and it sits unused in a cabinet. There are quite a few options to make it digital. The modular design was a really good idea. Sadly, the prices asked are out of my league.