Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Digital Pentax 67.....

Just looking around and found out that it is really not that difficult to make a digital version of the Pentax 67.

Just order a special product by Cmosis and put in all electronic from 645z or the next generation.

http://www.cmosis.com/products/custom_products/

CUSTOM PRODUCTS
CMOSIS provides innovative turnkey image sensor solutions based on in-house design, characterization and qualification facilities for image sensor research, development and volume production. With our strong technology portfolio we optimize your image sensor solution to fit your exact needs and offer state-of-the art performance.

Why choosing a custom solution?

Create a unique product:
Differentiating compared to existing solution and competition
Outperforming off the shelf solutions
Perfect match with your overall system needs
Long term availability:
Control of supply chain
Our key technology offerings:

Global shutter pixels
High speed read out and data conversion (array and line scan)
High Resolution
Large area sensors (up to wafer-scale)
Low-noise, HDR pixels for low light imaging and professional imaging applications
Backside Illumination (BSI) for (E)UV and visible range
TDI imaging
Miniature camera modules for endoscopic applications
Ceramic and COB packaging options (PGA, BGA, CSP, …)
Custom glass lid coatings, filters
Extended environmental testing including industrial, space and automotive qualifications
Sensor development takes place in several phases, with milestones and review meetings in between. A typical development flow consists of:

Specification review and architectural study
IC layout and verification
Design of custom packages and cover glass
Device prototyping
Device characterization and qualification
Camera design-in support
Volume production
The development time and costs depend on the image sensor complexity. During development, the customer is in direct contact with the development team.

If you like to discuss a custom CMOS image sensor project with us please contact us by phone of by e-mail at info@cmosis.com.

Any market for it?

12-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm sure there is but it's going to be smaller than the current DMF market, and the cost would be in the $40K+ range.
It would probably be cheaper, if Pentax keeps it at the bare basics, but with no video, lower ISO range (like 50-12,800).
12-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

personally a 1.0x crop 645 would have my attention in a big way

I know I can get it at phase one but boy that sucker ain't cheap.
12-09-2015, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
just looking around and found out that it is really not that difficult to make a digital version of the Pentax 67.
There is nothing about the Pentax 67 camera body that is remotely translatable to a digital platform, for starters the mirror is huge as well as the shutter. Have you ever set up your 67II camera on a tripod, locked up the mirror, and balance a small glass of water on the pentaprism* housing and fire the shutter at 1/4th of a second? If you have ever done this you will understand my opinion: if you do not understand, I suggest you try it.

Personally I'm not all that hyped over all the mirrorless 35mm systems, but such an approach would have tangible benefits as sensor sizes and pixel densities go up. Digital 67 - with a 49mmX60mm 210MP sensor equipped with a global shutter, that would be a good place to start.

I wouldn't expect to see anything like this before 2030, assuming larger format photography is still a thing by then.

*or if you have it, the top of the waist level viewfinder will do fine.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-11-2015 at 07:30 PM.
12-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For 6x7 format, CMOSIS is not a good idea because the NRE is too large for such low volume, for large sensors, organic sensor could be an option: Isorg, organic photodetectors large surface with high performance. , I have no idea how the sensor performance compares to silicon.
12-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess that loosing the mirror and make it mirrorless is a modern way to approach this.
12-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I guess that loosing the mirror and make it mirrorless is a modern way to approach this.
Well, for large sensors, losing the mirror makes sense. Actually, given what cameras are already available in the market, I don't fully understand the current and near future product line of Ricoh.
12-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd rather just get a digital back for my Hasselblad 500C/M than convert my Pentax 67 into a digital camera.

12-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Problem is Tuco, is that you would have to bring an unholy mess of cables with you just to get the lens shutter and the digital back to sync with the 500c/m.
12-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd rather just get a digital back for my Hasselblad 500C/M than convert my Pentax 67 into a digital camera.
I guess that the thing would be like 645d/645Z, so a close camera and not a digital back.

Is there a market for. At least it would be a market with no competition. I guess it doesn't have to have the form of 67, since there is no mirror. At least old lenses should fit with adapter. Maybe technical this could even work with 645-mount or is that not wide enough? But maybe in a way that 645 lenses could also be used in a crop-mode.

Basicly if it would be a full size 67 sensor, 56x67 or even use 69 sensor of 56x84.

For 6x9 one would need like 3 lenses. 50mm (wide angle), 100mm (normal lens) and 200mm (portrait lens). Making crop modes for working with lenses for a smaller format. Having it working like Sony's A7-series that can attach as many old medium format lenses as possible.
12-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There is nothing about the Pentax 67 camera body that is remotely translatable to a digital platform, for starters the mirror is huge as well as the shutter. Have you ever set up your 67II camera on a tripod, locked up the mirror, and balance a small glass of water on the pentaprism* housing and fire the shutter at 1/4th of a second? If you have ever done this you will understand my opinion: if you do not understand, I suggest you try it.

Personally I'm not a fan of all the fanfare about mirrorless 35mm systems, but such an approach would have tangible benefits as sensor sizes and pixel densities go up. Digital 67 - with a 49mmX60mm 210MP sensor equipped with a global shutter, that would be a good place to start.

I wouldn't expect to see anything like this before 2030, assuming larger format photography is still a thing by then.

*or if you have it, the top of the waist level viewfinder will do fine.
This. Twice. It's nonsensical to "convert" the 67 other than for aesthetic or sentimental reasons.
12-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Problem is Tuco, is that you would have to bring an unholy mess of cables with you just to get the lens shutter and the digital back to sync with the 500c/m.
One cable is a mess?
12-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

One cable is a mess?
Hasselblad was lucky, you could get away with just using the one cable, but you should have seen what mamiya and contax users had to go through to use MFDB on their cameras.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-11-2015 at 07:48 PM.
12-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Hassleblad came out with a digital back for the 500C/M and similar models about a year ago. I think about $15K.
12-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Hassleblad came out with a digital back for the 500C/M and similar models about a year ago.
you're right, they did. They even copied the chrome and vulcanized rubber finish.