Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

using a profoto b1

hey guys

toying with the idea of getting a profoto b1. I know it'll work fine on the canon gear but what do I get for it to work on the 645z?

At the moment the only flash gear I have is my canon 600ex's, and the cactus v6 triggers.

I've sent profoto a email but thought someone here might have tried them in meantime.

I'm not sure if their air remote radio system would work natively on the 645z - but maybe if i piggyback one onto the cactus v6 trigger it might.

I'm aware of flash sync speed issues - more a question how to best fire it.

cheers

Gav

12-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have a couple B1's and they they work just fine with Pocket Wizards. They don't work with the Profoto Air Remote, as they're only set up to work with Canon or Nikon. I've asked Profoto to come out with an Air Remote for the 645z, but they never got back to me.
12-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote
I have a couple B1's and they they work just fine with Pocket Wizards. They don't work with the Profoto Air Remote, as they're only set up to work with Canon or Nikon. I've asked Profoto to come out with an Air Remote for the 645z, but they never got back to me.
really the air remote won't work at all? even without ttl?
12-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PRIOLITE - the revolutionary lighting system for professionals :: Home

12-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok so the Aussie priolite guy rang me and I'm borrowing a couple for a week

I'll post some shots here later when I get them.
12-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
really the air remote won't work at all? even without ttl?
The Air Remote won't work with the Pentax. It was designed only for the Nikon and Canon.
12-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

Regarding the Profoto triggers, are you sure about that?
Please correct me if I am wrong but the Profoto triggers come in the following variations:
  • Profoto Air Remote TTL-Canon <-- only works with Canon and has TTL capabilites
  • Profoto Air Remote TTL-Nikon <-- only works with Nikon and has TTL capabilites
  • Profoto Air Remote <-- works with any camera brand, no TTL, no high sync etc, has full manual controls and can be changed from the trigger itself.
  • Profoto Air Sync <-- works with any camera brand, no TTL, no high sync etc, basic trigger (costs less than the "air remote"), manual control of the flash has to be done at the flash itself.

I do not own Profoto but I was at a demo night a little whiles ago and was using the Olympus EM5mkii and my own Pentax K3 with the Profoto Air Sync to trigger the Profoto B1's.

Cheers
12-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dreamsong Quote
Regarding the Profoto triggers, are you sure about that?
Please correct me if I am wrong but the Profoto triggers come in the following variations:
  • Profoto Air Remote TTL-Canon <-- only works with Canon and has TTL capabilites
  • Profoto Air Remote TTL-Nikon <-- only works with Nikon and has TTL capabilites
  • Profoto Air Remote <-- works with any camera brand, no TTL, no high sync etc, has full manual controls and can be changed from the trigger itself.
  • Profoto Air Sync <-- works with any camera brand, no TTL, no high sync etc, basic trigger (costs less than the "air remote"), manual control of the flash has to be done at the flash itself.

I do not own Profoto but I was at a demo night a little whiles ago and was using the Olympus EM5mkii and my own Pentax K3 with the Profoto Air Sync to trigger the Profoto B1's.

Cheers
Hmm. I have tried the Air Remote with my 645z and they don't seem to work with the B1's. That said, I may be doing something wrong. I'll try again in the next day, or so and see if the air remote will work my camera. I can tell you that the Pocket Wizards work just fine with the 645z.