Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #1

645Z tethered - just eats batteries, right?

I'm not used to the rate at which the battery power is drained shooting tethered. Canon batteries last about half a day, but am only getting about two hours now..Phase cameras do well also, guess helps to have a separate battery for the body and the digital back.....I bought 2 replacement batteries on Amazon, Wasabi or something, but they don't last long at all.....Shooting just to card and not tethered is fine for power consumption. Does the computer supply power to help send images along or does that not happen with the Pentax? I'm shooting to a Macbook pro with usb 3. Have heard that some ports on the laptops provide more power than others but can't find any concrete facts on this...

Wondering if this product from Tether Tools would help lessen the battery drain? Tether Tools TetherBoost Core Controller TBUSB30 B&H Photo Video It seems to tout maintaining a stable connection, but I have not had any problems with loss of connection, just slower transfers when the battery starts dying...

I have a job as a digital tech and am supplying this camera for the job with my laptop. I've been shooting tethered with it for myself and it's been great except for this battery dying issue. Been using Alex Munoz's Capture Fix and got the Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software....

12-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
Forum Member

If you are tethering anyhow, could you use an AC adapter (K-AC132)?
12-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

I've done some tethering tests over last few dats using the Pentax plugin for Lightroom and haven't noticed that the battery is diminishing its capacity any faster than when I'm not tethering. Will keep an eye out an let you know if I'm getting the issue that you're experiencing.
12-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks, am shooting tethered to someone hand holding shooting people, so will not be ideal to have another cord attached to the tether cable, but have thought of that, would have to extend the DC part of the cable....buying three batteries would be cheaper and cleaner...

03-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ended up making a tether-booster per Alex Munoz's blog. Basically a USB hub with a power adapter and seems to work really well extending times. Now camera drains batteries like any canon would, so getting about 4-5 hours per battery doing not so fast still life shooting....
03-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote
I've done some tethering tests over last few dats using the Pentax plugin for Lightroom and haven't noticed that the battery is diminishing its capacity any faster than when I'm not tethering. Will keep an eye out an let you know if I'm getting the issue that you're experiencing.
I'm not getting that issue either. Last week, I shot portraits for two days: studio lighting tethered to Lightroom on a MacBook Pro. About 80 percent focused with live view. 645Z was set to display shots for 3 seconds. Otherwise image review was done on the the computer. 5 to 6 hrs each day. Did not need to change batteries, but it was close I think.