Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #31

Well done on all levels.

12-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #32
Site Supporter

simply amazing images to accompany an excellent review. I believe your background has led you to a quality of process that few would take the time and effort to replicate.
12-24-2015, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thanks for sharing the review - certainly makes me drool. Wonderful sample images really show what MF can do. Well done.
Thank you Jonathan! I will try to add more images as soon as they are ready.

QuoteOriginally posted by markoneswift Quote
Great review and a very interesting insight into the world of medium format - something I know virtually nothing about. My fave images of that set are Daydream, Grand Stage and Night With The Lights - stunning.
Thanks, markoneswift, I also appreciate mentioning your favorites, it's very helpful to understand what people like better than the others.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences! Although I don't use a medium format camera (K-3) the way you describe your workflow does give a very good insight in how to achieve better landscape photo's. That is valuable information, regardless of sensor format. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention your photographs; they are stunning. Well done!
Thanks for the detailed comment, Remco. Yes, the same workflow can be applied to any format as long as image resolution is the top priority. By the way, I just checked out your gallery, and I really liked the one titled 'The reflection at the end'. A great composition that leads viewers deeper into the picture. Keep up the great work.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Excellent post and my hope someday is to shoot images like those. Heck I'd settle for being 10% as good. Wow. I own (and use) a 645 & 645n and hope to get to the 645z someday. Wonderful insights.
Thanks a lot for the compliment, Tim - a fellow Californian! The 645 film cameras were also my favorites, and I still get to take them out once in a while. I think the moment they announce the successor, the 645z will see a major price drop and become a value proposition with ultimate performance for many; this covers even a vast majority of print-oriented guys, because the camera already has enough potential for exhibition quality prints.

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Your set up and work makes me drool. As I am pondering letting go of my beloved K3 and the Three Amigos, here comes the ultimate tease! Great work.
Thanks a lot, btnapa. I guess you may be contemplating the new full frame as your next camera? Quite curious what they will come up with.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Maybe the best review that I ever read. Comprehensive but short. And pictures...ohhhh, these pictures....Many thanks for all.
Really appreciate it, Jimmy. I hope I can do a better job next time, too many minor errors to clean up. I also checked out your photos, very nice macros!

QuoteOriginally posted by FOX Quote
I'm mesmerized by the review and its photos! Thank you
Thank you very much, FOX!

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
Thank you for sharing! That was helpful and inspiring. You work is fantastic and I am in awe of your work. All of your photographs are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for hauling that heavy equipment to all those wonderful places. I know there is so much work to create those beautiful pictures. It is a job to get to the scene and then have a scene when you arrive. Great work and thanks for sharing. I hope to have a medium format one day.
So much kindness in your comment, David. Those words will be really helpful to keep myself motivated and take these overweight pieces of gear farther than before. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Harklee:
Thank you for taking the time to write this and post your wonderful images. I have all the equipment you list, other than the 25mm, and agree with all your observations. I have been a Pentax owner since 1972 when I purchased a Spotmatic. I have observed over the years that the company had a devotion to the image, for me it started with the 8 element Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and continued through many other lenses for 35mm, 645 and 67 (an 800mm ED 67 lens was not produced to make money). When Hoya acquired the company, something was lost. Ricoh appears to value and assume the legacy of Pentax as a unique brand, let's hope their outstanding products and devotion to the image continue.
Tom
Many thanks for the detailed comment, Tom. I agree with everything you said. There must have been a significant amount of confusion within the organization during these acquisitions. And it's great that Ricoh seems to have a good understanding of Pentax's legacy. Let’s hope they will take this brand to the next level.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hark,
Thank you for an insightful and quality review of the Pentax 645 system. The quality of your images speak for themselves. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with Pentax Forum users - it is this sort of information sharing that makes this Forum such a useful and unique place.
Ross
Thanks a lot, Ross, I will try to post more often and be part of the group!

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Could the Pixel Shift system seen in the K-3ii provide a similar benefit (used to fill in complete color information for each pixel rather than to increase the resolution even further)? Since your style of shooting already requires multiple exposures and a tripod anyway...
I was thinking the exact same thing myself, though I have to admit that I haven’t got a chance to use the pixel shift system. Since even the most stationary landscapes tend to have subtle movement in them, I am not entirely sure how it will pan out, but that’s certainly a great way to beat the diffraction. Thanks a lot for your input, Scintilla.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
A wonderful read and as I scrolled down to the images, I was simply blown away by them. I really liked how everything is presented in a tempered and considered way and not those bravado "my kit is best" "gushing kid with a new toy" type user impressions that is all so common nowadays.
Thanks a lot, pinholecam. I guess I am a little too old and beat up to do one of those ‘bragging about the new toy’ kind of reviews, haha. But I will give it a shot next time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
The Highlands is far and away my favorite though all are stunning works of art. Thank you for sharing these photographs and your thoughts on the system you used.
I am really grateful for the kind words, Pioneer. I will try to come back with better images.

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Boyd Quote
Stunning work Hark. I love the 3 - dimensional quality of your work. And, I appreciate your thoughtful and experienced review.
Thank you so much, Don!

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Amazing essay here and the images really speak volumes about the system and your technique. Thanks so much for sharing!
Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
excellent read and photos. Should be a sticky.
Thanks Franc! I will update the review regularly with new images.

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
A truly interesting read and a simply wonderful set of inspiring images - thanks for brightening the morning
Cannot thank you enough for the kind words, thanks Lenny!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hark Lee, you really need to post more here! Your shots are amazing and it is clear that you are someone who has taken the time to learn his gear and how to get the most out of it. You had posted a few years ago some of your thoughts when you were still using the 645D and those were great shots then -- these are better yet. Please continue to share your thoughts and few photos of your ongoing work. They are much appreciated.
Wows, I didn’t think anyone would remember the 645D review and images, thank you so much! And my apologies for the sporadic presence. I am not really very active on the internet, but I will definitely write more on a regular basis and keep you guys posted. Thanks Rondec!

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Possibly because Hoya's interest was only ever a technical one, and only in a part of the company. Ricoh, OTOH, used to make SLR cameras themselves, so there's a part of Ricoh that still understands photography. Perhaps they also still remember that they followed Pentax's lead in taking on the K mount, so they respect the Pentax legacy.
Agreed; looks like Pentax is in better hands. I recently got a chance to talk with someone from the U.S. headquarters, and they seem to be doing a much better job too. Although it seems that the customer service can use some improvement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scobra Quote
Very interesting! And such beautiful images. They make me want to get out my camping gear and hike to the nearest mountain with beautiful views. But first I would have to save up for a 645z...
You speak of the advantages of increased resolution when using the 645z. Lenses that can match the sensor seem to be in short supply. Hopefully that will change in the future, as generally sensors are increasing and so lens technology will be forced to keep pace. Imagine super resolution on a 645z. And you like mirror lenses. Well, yes, they have some advantages, primarily low cost, low weight, small size, and complete lack of CA. What about an autofocus mirror lens like Minolta used to make... it would be a great drawcard for Pentaxians... we like to be a bit different! The technology already exists. I am sure almost everyone on this forum would like a 645z if they could afford one.
Interestingly, you post got me thinking about other ways the 645z high resolution and high IQ could be utilized. In terms of taking advantage of the 645z for gigapixel panoramic photography, there seems to be only one guy using the 645z (Joe Towner) and he has only posted 3 panoramas to date (and the gigapan website hosts more than 113,000 panoramas). But the details he captures are pretty amazing. Zoom in here and you can recognize faces in the crowd at the far end of the stadium, using a 200mm lens.
There’s so much information in your comment - I really appreciate your taking time and writing in detail. About the lenses, I am also quite curious if it is technically achievable to somewhat downsize them without sacrificing the optical performance. They’ve done an excellent job with the 28-45mm, but the last thing you want to do as a nature photographer is to have three equally heavy, large lenses in your muti-day pack. Hope they will find a good balance somewhere.
I’ve always drawn to panoramas and try to do more, but it’s also very challenging to execute well when the light changes by the second and you need to secure certain depth of field. Using a telephoto lens to do gigapixel panoramas is very interesting, but it faces the same issues; ever-chaning light and depth of field. Though I am very interested in using one of these automated panning heads, I will let you know if I get a chance to try one out. Thanks for the link too, I will make sure to check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Certainly deserving as a sticky. Real world user impressions with results to prove the point.
Thanks pinholecam! Much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Valuable even after all the others and after 18 months on the street. Yeah, there's some weight in your pack, and I wholeheartedly agree with you about Pentax trying to lighten things up where possible---but not sure it's completely possible with a system like this.
A side point---yes, the images are excellent. I have a serious quibble, though: the titles. Duchamp said titles were like invisible paint. Yours have an emotional/sentimental bent that the images don't need---and are also not of equal quality to the images. When you look at the work of the greats, in photography and other media, the tiles are often bland. In a few cases (outside of photography, I'm thinking of Duchamp, Johns, Rauschenberg, Beuys off the top of my head---but excepting the surrealists) the titling has mysterious overtones. In any case, good titles leave room for the viewers mind to make its own associations, as opposed to overtly directing them.
These titles may help your images sell. If that's the case, then more power to you. I found them distinctly off-putting.
Tex, I really appreciate your taking time and expressing your thoughts in an articulate manner. Also, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment about the titles. To make an excuse, I feel quite out of breath by the time I get to name a photograph. From the idea to capturing the light and processing the image, it’s a long and painful process. And I tend to often resort to rather simple and cheesy titles, which may or may not resonate with the viewers’ interpretations. The titles do not come without contemplation (as there is a story behind each one), but I absolutely agree that they need to be better. Every single time I learn that there is a very fine line; titles can accentuate the theme and make the photos come alive, or also it can cheapen them indefinitely. So thank you so much for the input, I will do a better job in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great review.
Thanks Ron!

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
So true! Thanks for your excellent and measured review! Like others, I was astounded by the photographs you created. I will also recommend that readers go to your website; your photos look even better there.
Thanks a lot Mike! About the website thing – yeah I wanted to put the images in a separate format since I found it a little difficult to get them to blend with the text in the current format.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
Actually looking back at each photo you did title them well. I went to your website and I thought they had titles of the location and maybe that is what Texandrews is looking at? Not sure, but I think you nailed it all around! Please pardon me, you titles are great.
Thanks, David! I will try to do a better job in the future!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
Great info and even better images! I made the jump to the 645Z for my landscape photography less than a year ago and I think I may be set for the next 20 years with it. I can't image I will ever need bigger file sizes as the prints you can get out of it are huge and impressive. I also can't really imagine any significant improvements in image quality. I also have the 28-45 (it is in fact the only 645 lens I have) and it is the best landscape lens I've ever used - no CA!!! Wimps who want tiny camera bodies but don't want the ultimate landscape camera need not apply
Yes Gyroscope, I think the 645Z scratches pretty much all the itches one has as a photographer. I also agree with your sentiment about the 28-45mm; it’s one of the best lenses I’ve ever used. Many thanks for the comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
We see comparisons between small format camera brands all the time. We even see comparisons between small format and cropped medium format. But it seems we rarely see comparisons between medium format brands and lenses. That would be useful.
Agreed, tuco. That is something that I will be interested in too.

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Well done on all levels.
Thanks algrove!

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
simply amazing images to accompany an excellent review. I believe your background has led you to a quality of process that few would take the time and effort to replicate.
Hi hsteeves, I think you are absolutely right about my background influencing the way I photograph; a form of occupational obsession. Thanks a lot for the kind words.
12-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent post and images ! TFS, J