Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #16
Forum Member

Stunning work Hark. I love the 3 - dimensional quality of your work. And, I appreciate your thoughtful and experienced review.

12-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I will individually respond to your comment sometime tomorrow when I have full internet access. Thanks!
12-18-2015, 12:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazing essay here and the images really speak volumes about the system and your technique. Thanks so much for sharing!
12-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

excellent read and photos. Should be a sticky.

12-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

A truly interesting read and a simply wonderful set of inspiring images - thanks for brightening the morning
12-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hark Lee, you really need to post more here! Your shots are amazing and it is clear that you are someone who has taken the time to learn his gear and how to get the most out of it. You had posted a few years ago some of your thoughts when you were still using the 645D and those were great shots then -- these are better yet.

Please continue to share your thoughts and few photos of your ongoing work. They are much appreciated.
12-18-2015, 05:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
When Hoya acquired the company, something was lost. Ricoh appears to value and assume the legacy of Pentax as a unique brand
Possibly because Hoya's interest was only ever a technical one, and only in a part of the company. Ricoh, OTOH, used to make SLR cameras themselves, so there's a part of Ricoh that still understands photography. Perhaps they also still remember that they followed Pentax's lead in taking on the K mount, so they respect the Pentax legacy.

12-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #23
Forum Member

Very interesting! And such beautiful images. They make me want to get out my camping gear and hike to the nearest mountain with beautiful views. But first I would have to save up for a 645z...
You speak of the advantages of increased resolution when using the 645z. Lenses that can match the sensor seem to be in short supply. Hopefully that will change in the future, as generally sensors are increasing and so lens technology will be forced to keep pace. Imagine super resolution on a 645z. And you like mirror lenses. Well, yes, they have some advantages, primarily low cost, low weight, small size, and complete lack of CA. What about an autofocus mirror lens like Minolta used to make... it would be a great drawcard for Pentaxians... we like to be a bit different! The technology already exists. I am sure almost everyone on this forum would like a 645z if they could afford one.
Interestingly, you post got me thinking about other ways the 645z high resolution and high IQ could be utilized. In terms of taking advantage of the 645z for gigapixel panoramic photography, there seems to be only one guy using the 645z (Joe Towner) and he has only posted 3 panoramas to date (and the gigapan website hosts more than 113,000 panoramas). But the details he captures are pretty amazing. Zoom in here and you can recognize faces in the crowd at the far end of the stadium, using a 200mm lens.

Last edited by Scobra; 12-18-2015 at 06:34 AM.
12-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
excellent read and photos. Should be a sticky.
+1

Certainly deserving as a sticky.

Real world user impressions with results to prove the point.
12-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for a good working review

Valuable even after all the others and after 18 months on the street. Yeah, there's some weight in your pack, and I wholeheartedly agree with you about Pentax trying to lighten things up where possible---but not sure it's completely possible with a system like this.

A side point---yes, the images are excellent. I have a serious quibble, though: the titles. Duchamp said titles were like invisible paint. Yours have an emotional/sentimental bent that the images don't need---and are also not of equal quality to the images. When you look at the work of the greats, in photography and other media, the tiles are often bland. In a few cases (outside of photography, I'm thinking of Duchamp, Johns, Rauschenberg, Beuys off the top of my head---but excepting the surrealists) the titling has mysterious overtones. In any case, good titles leave room for the viewers mind to make its own associations, as opposed to overtly directing them.

These titles may help your images sell. If that's the case, then more power to you. I found them distinctly off-putting.
12-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #26
Banned

Great review.
12-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I really liked how everything is presented in a tempered and considered way and not those bravado "my kit is best" "gushing kid with a new toy" type user impressions that is all so common nowadays.
So true! Thanks for your excellent and measured review! Like others, I was astounded by the photographs you created. I will also recommend that readers go to your website; your photos look even better there.
12-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Valuable even after all the others and after 18 months on the street. Yeah, there's some weight in your pack, and I wholeheartedly agree with you about Pentax trying to lighten things up where possible---but not sure it's completely possible with a system like this.

A side point---yes, the images are excellent. I have a serious quibble, though: the titles. Duchamp said titles were like invisible paint. Yours have an emotional/sentimental bent that the images don't need---and are also not of equal quality to the images. When you look at the work of the greats, in photography and other media, the tiles are often bland. In a few cases (outside of photography, I'm thinking of Duchamp, Johns, Rauschenberg, Beuys off the top of my head---but excepting the surrealists) the titling has mysterious overtones. In any case, good titles leave room for the viewers mind to make its own associations, as opposed to overtly directing them.

These titles may help your images sell. If that's the case, then more power to you. I found them distinctly off-putting.

I agree with Texandrews, the work is so good that each photograph should have and equally reflective title.

---------- Post added 12-19-15 at 09:36 AM ----------

Actually looking back at each photo you did title them well. I went to your website and I thought they had titles of the location and maybe that is what Texandrews is looking at? Not sure, but I think you nailed it all around! Please pardon me, you titles are great.
12-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #29

Great info and even better images! I made the jump to the 645Z for my landscape photography less than a year ago and I think I may be set for the next 20 years with it. I can't image I will ever need bigger file sizes as the prints you can get out of it are huge and impressive. I also can't really imagine any significant improvements in image quality. I also have the 28-45 (it is in fact the only 645 lens I have) and it is the best landscape lens I've ever used - no CA!!! Wimps who want tiny camera bodies but don't want the ultimate landscape camera need not apply
12-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #30
Pentaxian

We see comparisons between small format camera brands all the time. We even see comparisons between small format and cropped medium format. But it seems we rarely see comparisons between medium format brands and lenses. That would be useful.