Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I saw a new CMOS FF medium format camera and the price was surprisingly expansive($4999 for body and digital back only). Until Pentax get 16bit, better UI, leaf shutter lens, sync speed, more features(hyperlocal mode), UHS-2, and etc, we shouldn't expect FF medium format I assume.
Have you missed out a 9 there at the end? A FF MFormat for $5k would be amazingly cheap...

01-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Have you missed out a 9 there at the end? A FF MFormat for $5k would be amazingly cheap...
oh yeah. I missed one more 9.
01-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
Maybe around 2018? Btw we are not sure if SONY provide that FF sensor. Even so, it's too expansive. It's too early to use FF mf sensor anyway.
Yes, I agree. The 645D to 645Z was about 4 years. So that would lead us to believe 2018 is a realistic date. However I think that this new Sony sensor is going to make them rush a bit, after all they don't want to miss this opportunity to steal customers away from the more established MF brands. Perhaps they have something special up their sleeves for 2016 besides their FF camera!
As for Sony's sensor availability, there might be a contract with PhaseOne (who helped Sony develop that 100MP sensor) which precludes them from selling it to other brands... However I doubt it because simple economics tells us that the more of those sensors they produce, the cheaper they become and the higher their profit margins will be, for all parties involved; both the manufacturers (Sony) as well as the clients (Phase One). It's in everyone's interest to provide Pentax with this new sensor.
01-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a brand, Pentax hasn't been going in the "specs race" direction. When a new body will be released, it'll be because it's time to introduce something more significant than staying current with today's top megapixel count.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As a brand, Pentax hasn't been going in the "specs race" direction. When a new body will be released, it'll be because it's time to introduce something more significant than staying current with today's top megapixel count.
I understand that unlike Nikon and Canon, as a brand Pentax is not in the "specs race" category. However they are a MF camera manufacturer and are very much in the business of producing the best cameras they can. After all, MF sensors don't come along every other week, they themselves represent significant upgrades over previous technology. I also don't consider a 40% increase in linear resolution, 645 full frame DOF and FOV, improved ISO performance and true 16bit color to be insignificant. Perhaps not as big a change as the one Pentax made by moving to CMOS with their 645Z, nevertheless a big step in my opinion...
01-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Not to mention it has a full EFC shutter as well.
01-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #37

You also need really really good lens if the sensor is 100meg. How many in the current Pentax line up would pass muster on a full size MF sensor? Good enough for film may not be good enough for digital.

Not many users need this super sensor, perhaps a modest increase in megapixels in the next body and add pixel shift for that extra detail when it may demand it. I would rather Pentax work on lens, new ones and some revamping of the older ones.
01-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Modest sensor increase + beefing up the hardware bus for faster operation!

01-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Eventually Pentax really needs to provide a FF 645 sensor. Crop mode has served users well, but it's still a cropped sensor. Phase One has broken the ice. By 2018 maybe there will be affordable FF 645 sensors... I'll go out on a limb and call it the 645F.
01-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #40

It'll be Photokina 2016. Full frame. 100MP. And something else. $10K. The HD 35 has set the stage, not just the update, but also the timing, the deviation from the road map, and the full-frame field of view. The 28-45mm will remain an exception, an abomination, a salute to a format of the past.
01-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I would much rather see Pentax spend R&D on more and newer lenses than cranking out a new camera. The Z already does well enough, 100mp FF is way beyond the needs of even most medium format users. And this is coming from someone who owns their own 44" printer.

If the system has few lenses that can resolve 51MP reliably, what's the point of going higher?
01-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
Eventually Pentax really needs to provide a FF 645 sensor. Crop mode has served users well, but it's still a cropped sensor. Phase One has broken the ice. By 2018 maybe there will be affordable FF 645 sensors... I'll go out on a limb and call it the 645F.
PhaseOne have had full frame 645 for many years, so this is not new to the market.
I believe the first full frame medium format back they released was P65+ in 2008, a few years before Pentax released 645D.

The big thing now is that PhaseOne have released their latest full frame back with CMOS sensor.
01-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
I would much rather see Pentax spend R&D on more and newer lenses than cranking out a new camera. The Z already does well enough, 100mp FF is way beyond the needs of even most medium format users. And this is coming from someone who owns their own 44" printer.

If the system has few lenses that can resolve 51MP reliably, what's the point of going higher?
I concur. For commercial photography there's really no need for more megapixels. While the new Phase One camera boasts impressive specs, for me it's like buying a Maserati to go to the grocery store. That said, I think photographers dealing in landscape, product photography and architectural might like to spend a day or two playing with the Phase One.
01-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #44

In fact I agree. I'd rather see some updates on the lens front. But Pentax' claim to fame in the 645 world is to offer Phase performance at 1/4th the price.
01-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #45
Pentaxian

how about a medium format rangefinder/mirrorless la the classic Mamiya 7II?
Now that would be killer!

Michael