Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #46

I see a lot of discussion around full-frame medium format.... dream machine is running !

Can Pentax do it ? Yes of course. I don't think there is any exclusive deal with Sony, since Hasselblad is going to use the same 100Mp full frame CMOS sensor. Pentax could use some updated design for components from film era (mirror, prism, etc). And they would need to use a new processor in order to keep decent speed.

Would it be useful to have this new version ? Impossible to answer, there are as many possible answers as forum members !! Desirable, no doubt. But current version of the Z is already quite a capable camera, and I don't think many of us are complaining about a lack of potential in the files.

Now, if they would create a Mamiya7II-like camera with this sensor, or a Sony RX1 "big brother", that would be absolute temptation...

01-14-2016, 05:47 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Digital back for the Pentax 67 bodies?
01-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
I reckon we'll see 100mp this year. Hasselblad have one coming around June if what I hear is right. The specs are certainly being passed around those who are close to Hassy.

Phase kind of threw us a curve ball by stating they had developed the sensor with Sony. Hassy are developing a sensor with Sony too.
Same sensor, different tweaks. Nice marketing play Phase One and I've no reason the expect Pentax won't get a look in. They sell a lot of sensors for Sony.

At a guess though I don't see the need to change much on the 645Z, medium format is a niche realm without much innovation. Just because say, the A7 had IBIS doesn't mean to say the 645z mkii should have it. People who use the A7 will do so for completely different reasons to the Z. For the most part anyway.

I mean what's changed really in the last 15 years of digital medium format? Tilt screen (Pentax), earthquake sensors (Phase XF), and true focus (Hasselblad voodoo). A decent amount of lenses though and software updates in camera.

A new sensor, faster data throughput or better still pixel binning across 40 and 60 mp would be nice to keep operation fluid with a new 645z. It was the biggest annoyance with the 645z so slow to preview images after a burst it got in the way of my shooting process.

I'm excited for a new 645z mkii, my credit card isn't though!
01-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by SylvainB Quote

Would it be useful to have this new version ? Impossible to answer, there are as many possible answers as forum members !! Desirable, no doubt. But current version of the Z is already quite a capable camera, and I don't think many of us are complaining about a lack of potential in the files.
To be honest the 100mp I'm not that fussed on. And yes the 645z is very capable. I just want the DoF characteristics of the larger sensor.

01-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

how about a full frame sensor, that matches the 645 film size?
01-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #51

I'd guess they'll show the new one at CP+. I am sure Sony came up with some sort of a deal to split sensor development costs between Phase, Hasselblad and Pentax. Pentax loves CP+ and the 645 system has many fans in Japan. The 35mm HD revision makes me believe its one more SLR incarnation (as I mentioned in an earlier post). Apparently Fuji is working on a medium format mirrorless. Don't know which sensor they'll be using though. But for Sony it will make sense to be able to divide sensor costs between three different brands.

For me the 645Z is as much camera as I will ever need. I would rather prefer they would try to implement shake reduction or spend more effort on upgrading their lens line-up. 100mp will certainly be great for some images, will have amazing tonal range, and narrow depth-of-field, especially if its full-frame. But think about those files. 100mp. How often will your images require that level of resolution?

Nevertheless, sensor size will sell and Pentax will want to stay in the game at least with their 645 system. 645Z prices may further go down as a result, and there might be a great chance to pick up another body or to upgrade from the 645D.

It's a great time for medium format.
01-17-2016, 04:47 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
I'd guess they'll show the new one at CP+.
I would be very surprised at that.
QuoteQuote:
I am sure Sony came up with some sort of a deal to split sensor development costs between Phase, Hasselblad and Pentax.
hmmmm, interesting conjecture, but I'd say on the other hand, that Sony is now in a position to throw development funds at sensors that will never see mass market sales. They are now so dominant in sensors that they could happily make a niche product just for Phase and Hassy, without the need for Pentax's broader sales. Certainly the price seems to indicate that!
QuoteQuote:
Pentax loves CP+ and the 645 system has many fans in Japan.
True, at least in terms of the Japanese fanbase
QuoteQuote:
The 35mm HD revision makes me believe its one more SLR incarnation (as I mentioned in an earlier post). Apparently Fuji is working on a medium format mirrorless. Don't know which sensor they'll be using though. But for Sony it will make sense to be able to divide sensor costs between three different brands.
As above, and I would be extremely surprised if any Fuji medium format mirrorless camera had a FF medium format sensor. Then there's the part about Pentax's development of lenses that won't cover the image circle of a FF 645....Again, as far as Sony is concerned, they are in the catbird seat on sensor manufacture and tech, and probably long range R&D----and the big reason, ultimately, is not for the cameras we know and love, but the ones we don't even consider cameras----such as the ones that will soon be in every automobile and truck that is made, just as one example, or increasingly ubiquitous surveillance (in my neighborhood and city, Baltimore , MD, I'm a huge fan of ubiquitous surveillance. YMMV.)

QuoteQuote:
For me the 645Z is as much camera as I will ever need.
Well, that's nearly true for me as well. Now that I've had it, I could see myself happy with it for a very long time.
QuoteQuote:
I would rather prefer they would try to implement shake reduction or spend more effort on upgrading their lens line-up. 100mp will certainly be great for some images, will have amazing tonal range, and narrow depth-of-field, especially if its full-frame. But think about those files. 100mp. How often will your images require that level of resolution?
Well, all of them, really. I'll take as much DR and tonal range as I can get, always. Even if it won't print entirely, it gives me more space in post to move around. I see no downside to having more. Extra rez doesn't hurt me either, surely. OTOH, the Z was a huge extravagant stretch for me in some ways(not all, but that's another tale), even with a massive "discount" through heart-wrenching trade-ins. A new 100mp FF 645 sensor---and all my lenses would work on it, btw---that would undoubtedly be north of $10Kusd, would be completely un-doable for me without some very surprising change in my financial situation.

QuoteQuote:
Nevertheless, sensor size will sell and Pentax will want to stay in the game at least with their 645 system. 645Z prices may further go down as a result, and there might be a great chance to pick up another body or to upgrade from the 645D.
Already happening, I think

QuoteQuote:
It's a great time for medium format.
Couldn't agree with you more, even given what the FF35 naysayers say....