Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
sunshine7913

Next version of Pentax 645

Do they have any plans for next version of medium format camera? I wish them to put and make leaf shutter lenses(for flash syncing), 16bit, longer exposing time(60min), SR(It's possible since Sony A7ii put SR in small body that we thought it's impossible), hypo focal distance function(for landscape photographer), and etc.

Yeah I wish Pentax put those things.

12-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

In the shorter term getting out new and revised lens would be preferable. There is not many cameras that match the current 645Z.

Some of the features suggested in the firmware thread would also be good. Perhaps a mid life firmware refresh for the camera in 2016.

In the last quarter we got a revised 35mm, IR version of the camera and the LR plug in was useful for studio shooters. So Pentax are active.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 12-24-2015 at 03:17 PM.
12-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes I think lenses before new camera. A revised 80-160mm zoom in the form of a 90-180 with OS would be on my list!

I think if they were to release a new body it should be complimentary to the 645z, for example, a mirrorless body with EVF (no OVF) that shoots less FPS, lighter, slightly smaller but keeping the lens mount distance, EFC Shutter. This would be perfect for the landscape and travel shooter, leaving the 645z for others such as studio etc.

You can't please all with one body, so make them suit each segment. This is a big ask however as the market is small.
12-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
You can't please all with one body, so make them suit each segment. This is a big ask however as the market is small.
The new Pentax Full Frame is rumoured to have a high resolution mode. So you might get something close to what you want real soon. Not mirrorless, but still smaller than the 645Z. You can use your MF lens on the FF as the FF is getting an adapter, so the rumour goes. Not long now to find out what Pentax is actually offering.

Last edited by TheDocAUS; 12-22-2015 at 02:14 PM.
12-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is hard to tell, if a new camera was released, just to say, next year, what sensor they can put in order to maintain the price tag close to 10k? What processor to reduce or eliminate the lag when playing images (three Prime III?). Is more believable to wait the K1 see the improvements than can be traslated to the 645zII.
12-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
Do they have any plans for next version of medium format camera? I wish them to put and make leaf shutter lenses(for flash syncing), 16bit, longer exposing time(60min), SR(It's possible since Sony A7ii put SR in small body that we thought it's impossible), hypo focal distance function(for landscape photographer), and etc.

Yeah I wish Pentax put those things.
I think the 645 digital bodies are on a longer release cycle, but shake reduction is already available (with select lenses) and I believe that we'll eventually see some modern LS lenses as well. Can't you use an arbitrary exposure time in bulb mode, or does the sensor overheat?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the 645 digital bodies are on a longer release cycle, but shake reduction is already available (with select lenses) and I believe that we'll eventually see some modern LS lenses as well. Can't you use an arbitrary exposure time in bulb mode, or does the sensor overheat?
SR in lens and boy is different. If SR is in the body, then you can use these functions:
1. Astro tracer
2. Shake reduction
3. High resolution mode
4. AA filter on/off

It does overheat seriously compare to Hasselblad and Phase one. Also, you have to calculate the shutter speed manually.

12-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
SR in lens and boy is different. If SR is in the body, then you can use these functions:
1. Astro tracer
2. Shake reduction
3. High resolution mode
4. AA filter on/off

It does overheat seriously compare to Hasselblad and Phase one. Also, you have to calculate the shutter speed manually.
The full frame should support all of these features for those who need them. I think the design philosophy behind the 645Z is different.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The full frame should support all of these features for those who need them. I think the design philosophy behind the 645Z is different.

Well when Pentax release Pentax 645z, they interviewed about the technology that they wanted to put 1/8000 and SR in 645z but they couldn't due to lack of skill. If Pentax 645Z have SR for at least high resolution mode, that would be great that photographers can use this camera rather than Hasselblad.
12-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

It's a great camera and a superb sensor. VR in the next iteration may be nice, but hard to find a fault with the Z. Yes, service, of course, but that's apparently coming. A mirrorless version at some point, but technically, I am not sure whether I'd see the immediate fit. It would be another system.

I am very excited about the route they took with the 35mm. They would certainly win me back if they'd do that for a couple of lenses. The 150mm first comes to mind, then the 300mm and 400mm. And then an updated 25mm or perhaps wider. And a shift. And a minor update to the 120mm. Perhaps even one day a 600mm with built-in SR. Dreaming. I love the original line-up of primes.

I have been faithful until recently. Then I sidestepped. An D810 for telephoto primes, a Sony A7rII for travel. Still like the 645Z for some applications though, portraits and macro comes to mind first, then landscape. But they must improve their primes.
12-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
The new Pentax Full Frame is rumoured to have a high resolution mode. So you might get something close to what you want real soon. Not mirrorless, but still smaller than the 645Z. You can use your MF lens on the FF as the FF is getting an adapter, so the rumour goes. Not long now to find out what Pentax is actually offering.
I did not know they planned a fully compatible adapter for 645 lenses on the new FF. That would be good.
12-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #12

I suspect, given that we are talking about a niche brand within a niche area of photography, that you will be waiting a long time

Witness the distance between D and Z. Company take over, money invested etc etc all add up to : don't expect a new version any time soon.

You have to ask what they would gain in bringing in a new body in the next 24months? It's adding a cherry on top of an already sumptuous cake

Roll back to analog days...new bodies came along once in a blue moon. Take a look at the 67 history.

We have all got used to a perpetual release cycle that really is adding very little.

We don't suffer from a lack of camera. We suffer from a lack of photographers who actually own and use it. Or can get the most out of it.

Whenever I speak to Mf owners they discuss photographic art. How to improve. Where their vision is going. Not "oh I really need this feature to take me to the next level"

Lenses. Service. Firmware. That's where I hope they put their focus.

Incidentally: can / could anyone actually tell the difference in a print from 14bit to 16bit??? I strongly doubt it
12-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well yeah, I wish they would put out a yellow version.
12-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery
645D in 2010....
645Z in 2014....

So 2018 is your next stop.

(An update 645Z ii with new PRIME IV would make sence)
12-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by gha128 Quote
I suspect, given that we are talking about a niche brand within a niche area of photography, that you will be waiting a long time

Witness the distance between D and Z. Company take over, money invested etc etc all add up to : don't expect a new version any time soon.
Plus the recent IR version of the 645Z.