Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here is the studio lit photo I mentioned earlier. Note the coloured shadow especially cast by the nose. The OOC version was even more pronounced than this gently processed version.

Attached Images

12-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

She has beautiful red hair - could that be reflecting from your light? There are lots of golden reds in this photo from her hair o the leaves...
12-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
She has beautiful red hair - could that be reflecting from your light? There are lots of golden reds in this photo from her hair o the leaves...
Well anything seems plausable at this point. Its just that many years of shooting with Canon and Fuji I have never seen this. Maybe its what ultra high resolution cameras give you.

I will be contacting Pentax UK about this for sure.
12-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Shadows are not always gray. They are whatever color light manages to hit and reflect off the shadowed area.

12-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

By looking at the studio image you posted, I think you might have a physical sensor stain/defect there. Out of curiosity: what lens are you using?

I suspect taking a photograph of a featureless white wall and measuring any variance in RGB values might reveal the nature of this defect.
12-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Maybe see how the shots look when converted to B&W? Sometimes that's an easy fix when you're stuck working with a combination of colour temperatures.
12-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
By looking at the studio image you posted, I think you might have a physical sensor stain/defect there. Out of curiosity: what lens are you using?

I suspect taking a photograph of a featureless white wall and measuring any variance in RGB values might reveal the nature of this defect.
The portrait was with the 55mm 2.5 DFA
The dancers with the 120 FA Macro

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbjornda Quote
Maybe see how the shots look when converted to B&W? Sometimes that's an easy fix when you're stuck working with a combination of colour temperatures.
No disrespect spending 6K on a camera has made me slightly less forgiving than usual!
12-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Thanks for the replies. The photo was shot in raw but I'm not quite sure how I would go about removing the gold coloured shadows. I would have expected the shadows to be black or grey maybe. .
as others have correctly diagnosed the mixed stage lighting will cause the discolored areas you've captured and there is no uniform correction that can be applied in-camera if that is what you are asking. In post, however, this issue may be addressed a number of ways. One of the simpler ways I might address this is to duplicate the layer and separately process for "gold removal" and also for "blue removal", then use a layer mask to paint in the corrected areas only. To remove those hues, my "gold removal" layer might consist of a simple adjustment to desaturate just the yellow channel, for example. Likewise with the blue. Or purple, or green, or any area where some localized correction is needed.
Since you know what areas need to be white, you could even create a simple desaturated layer and then paint over the affected areas with white. Blend the opacity so as not to correct it 100% or it will look unnatural.

When my annual event changed over to LED stage lighting, I must say it presented a new challenge in handling colors, especially with reds and yellows. I found that the purple LED combination rendered well on my camera and even met with the lighting engineer once before the show and asked if he would replace some of his randomly applied red spot work with purple and he was happy to oblige.

Good luck!

12-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
No disrespect spending 6K on a camera has made me slightly less forgiving than usual!
Here, I think, we have a demonstration that a 6K camera is more accurate than the human eye/brain in recording the true colour of a scene.