Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

645z w/ Studio Strobes

Hi,

I am considering switching to a 645z and could use some input from any studio 645z photographers out there. I have read that the shutter sync of 1/125 can be an issue for action. I've been trying to search online and even in these forums for studio work and its not easy to find. I find most photos I find are street and landscape photography. Is that because the 645z and its low shutter sync makes it not a good option for the studio? My Bowens strobes have a 1/900 flash duration. I don't shot high action shots but could the 645z at least capture say flowing hair or fabric on a dress in a studio?

Thanks for any input in helping with my decision.

12-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be of interest:
Priolite: Sync Speeds Up To 1/8000s With Pentax - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
I did see that and thank you for sharing but I don't not like the look of LED strobes and have invested a lot in a 6 light Bowens and Rotalux setup.
12-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
mfg

Don't have Priolites but have been looking at them to use with my 645d.
Priolite's HotSync lights have a LED modeling light and a replaceable omega flash tube. Bowen light modifiers are are claimed to be compatible according to their product info.
A six light setup is a lot to switch over to a new system. Maybe one or two of the Priolite Hotsync's and their Controller worked into the mix would be a not to painful compromise and work with the way you light?

12-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This might be of interest: Priolite: Sync Speeds Up To 1/8000s With Pentax - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com
Adam, in a similar vein to looking at the epicenter of the big bang with binoculars, HSS in the controlled confines of a photography studio is utterly pointless. In any case, presently there is only a handful of studio flash heads capable of HSS*. The OP has stated he already owns a pair, from Bowens which are unlikely to support it.

QuoteOriginally posted by orbitalpunk Quote
I have read that the shutter sync of 1/125 can be an issue for action.
Flash sync speeds are irrelevant when studio flash is the dominant light source, in which case the flash duration dictates the motion stopping capacity. The 1/125th flash sync only becomes problematic when using fill flash outdoors, or when attempting to overpower the sun and use flash as the dominant light source - THAT is when higher sync speeds are needed. Under those circumstances I find the Leica S2 to be superior to the 645D/Z. With the are a variety of Leaf shutter lenses Leica makes for the S2 - though the camera and lenses are very expensive compared to the offerings from Pentax.

Is that because the 645z and its low shutter sync makes it not a good option for the studio?
The 645Z is excellent for studio work. Providing image quality that is equal to the cameras made by Phase one/Hasselblad which, when bought body only cost thousands more than the 645Z with a basic 55mm f/2.8

My Bowens strobes have a 1/900 flash duration. I don't shot high action shots but could the 645z at least capture say flowing hair or fabric on a dress in a studio?
With a studio fan blowing them 1/900th is pretty slow, usually speeds upwards of 1/2000th are needed to freeze that kind of motion. Without knowing the exact model of flash you are working with it is difficult to lay out what options you have. But a majority of mains powered flash monobloc units are at their shortest duration at 1:1 power.

* and only one of them actively supports pentax P-TTL and HSS.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-28-2015 at 12:24 AM.
12-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

I use my Z in the studio all of the time (really, it's beast to lug around anywhere else) and absolutely love it. Sure, a higher sync speed would be nice, but it's only ever been a problem when mixing light sources (one being natural light). As Digitalis wrote, you're going to have a bigger problem freezing motion with slower strobes than with the camera.
12-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #7

I have some Elinchrom Quadra heads with the Speed Transmitter. Works great with my Pentax 645Z. Color consistencies are great! In studio the speed is not a problem (1/125). I have the Pentax A 135mm LS lens with 1/500 sync speed for outside works if I needed.