Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645z review

I've just done my first ever camera review. The subject is the Pentax 645z which I purchases this year for exclusively landscape photography use. I've given my thoughts with my point of reference being a move from a Canon 5D3 system. Any thoughts or criticisms welcome! Thanks for looking.

Pentax 645z: The best landscape camera in the world? ? Morden O'Hare | Photography

12-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice review in my opinion. Very complete personal account from a professional perspective. I personally like very much the write-up style.

An your shots are outstanding...

Thank you for sharing.
12-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I found the review to be very well thought out and very nicely presented. Some may comment on the remark about the Canon vs Pentax menu system, but you were used to Canon so it makes sense that the Pentax system is unfamiliar and likely less efficient for now. Great images and comparisons of the dynamic range shots.
12-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

nice write up, thanks. I like your editing, so many landscape guys are going crazy over the top editing wise these days.

12-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I've been waffling between the 645z and the upcoming K1 from Pentax. You make a great point that the z with a quality lens should take care of needs for a long long time, which is something I've pondered as well. Landscape photography is my main passion darylkottwitzphoto, so many of your points resonated with me, particularly the issue of huge dynamic range to work with.

A couple of minor comments:
1. For me, the link provided for the lens just went to a general Ricoh Imaging web page, not to a page specifically related to the lens.
2. In your sentence, "On an extended trip somewhere it is nice to be able to have to large cards fitted to capture all those huge files" it should read "...two large cards fitted..." (nit picky I know, but something I noticed).
12-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I've just done my first ever camera review. The subject is the Pentax 645z which I purchases this year for exclusively landscape photography use. I've given my thoughts with my point of reference being a move from a Canon 5D3 system. Any thoughts or criticisms welcome! Thanks for looking.

Pentax 645z: The best landscape camera in the world? ? Morden O'Hare | Photography
Thank you for the review. It is very informative and your images are fantastic... what a treat.
12-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like it. Thanks!

12-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I've been waffling between the 645z and the upcoming K1 from Pentax. You make a great point that the z with a quality lens should take care of needs for a long long time, which is something I've pondered as well. Landscape photography is my main passion darylkottwitzphoto, so many of your points resonated with me, particularly the issue of huge dynamic range to work with.

A couple of minor comments:
1. For me, the link provided for the lens just went to a general Ricoh Imaging web page, not to a page specifically related to the lens.
2. In your sentence, "On an extended trip somewhere it is nice to be able to have to large cards fitted to capture all those huge files" it should read "...two large cards fitted..." (nit picky I know, but something I noticed).
Thanks for the corrections I've sorted these out now.

In terms of the longevity of the camera I just feel that we are at a point with camera technology now that improvements in image quality are becoming every more incremental. I really feel that the Pentax 645z is a contender for a serious long term commitment in a body in a way that digital bodies haven't been up until recently - more like the film camera's of old. It leaves no excuses for the landscape photographer.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 10:54 PM ----------

Thanks for comments and kind words all. I've been checking out the websites of those that have posted and enjoying looking at the great work others are doing too. Cheers!
12-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the review. You have joined a growing list of Australians with the 645Z!
12-29-2015, 05:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Awesome shots! Central Oz and the Kimberley?
12-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Billk. The 'red rock' ones are from karijini national park (Pilbara area) and others are sandunes near Cervantes WA and general Southwest WA coastal.
12-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #12

Though I'll probably never own a 645Z Your review was a joy to read. Well done!
12-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A polished, thorough, and practical evaluation of the amazing 645Z from a landscape photographer's point of view. Due focus on its capabilities as a photographic tool, and, unlike the usual review fare, accompanied by stunning images illustrating your points and showcasing your skill as a photographer. Pleasantly readable and engaging writing style, too. Ricoh Imaging couldn't hope for a better unaffiliated ambassador, I think.
12-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
CDW
Site Supporter

Well done. When I went from a Canon 5D2 to a 645D almost five years ago, I had similar feelings. When I upgraded to the 645Z I knew I had a tool that would last for the foreseeable future of my photography. If the Pentax FF delivers 70-80% of the performance of the Z, they will make an amazing pair.
12-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
sunshine7913

What do you think about DR? I was using Pentax before but due to my college, I have to use either Canon or Nikon and I don't know about Pentax's DR range. For canon, I always shoot +1 over since canon have better DR for highlight.