Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Ricoh Backlogged again with 35mm HD

Ricoh sent an email confirming shipment of my Nov 30 order for the new version of the 35mm HD 645 lens.

The FedEx tracking number showed the lens was delivered to New Jersey. My address is in Arizona. So I contacted Ricoh fulfillment support.

No response to emails and phone calls until today when I was told the shipment notification was a mistake by the warehouse, and my lens was back ordered - there is no estimated ship date.

Needless to say, but I will anyway, I am disappointed by the mistake, the followup support, and finally the unknown future delivery date. Ricoh's website stated: "Available for Pre-order. Shipping in December". I did see one of these lenses that a friend received on the date I should have received mine - I guess they did not build enough for everyone.

I am sorry for the rant. It's out of my system now. Thanks for listening.

12-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should knock $1200 off the price, for your troubles - I think.
12-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just FYI but the "Ricoh website" is not run by Ricoh. They have farmed it out to someone, and sadly it is generally a disaster. Many have complained but there has been no change.

You are generally better off ordering from B&H or another reputable dealer. B&H shows it in stock: Pentax smc FA 645 35mmf/3.5 AL IF Lens 26910 B&H Photo Video Or is that the old version?
12-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I got my 35 from an independent dealer that is a Pentax Pro dealer (as well as Nikon and Canon). Ordered it a couple of months ago. Got a phone call thinking that my 28 - 45 was back from repair, and considered cancelling my order if it was. As it happens it was the DFA 35, and I have no timeline on the repair of the 28 - 45...

12-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fitz Quote
Ricoh sent an email confirming shipment of my Nov 30 order for the new version of the 35mm HD 645 lens.

The FedEx tracking number showed the lens was delivered to New Jersey. My address is in Arizona. So I contacted Ricoh fulfillment support.

No response to emails and phone calls until today when I was told the shipment notification was a mistake by the warehouse, and my lens was back ordered - there is no estimated ship date.

Needless to say, but I will anyway, I am disappointed by the mistake, the followup support, and finally the unknown future delivery date. Ricoh's website stated: "Available for Pre-order. Shipping in December". I did see one of these lenses that a friend received on the date I should have received mine - I guess they did not build enough for everyone.

I am sorry for the rant. It's out of my system now. Thanks for listening.
This kind of mistake is unbelievable!!! A 50% off is a must..
12-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just FYI but the "Ricoh website" is not run by Ricoh. They have farmed it out to someone, and sadly it is generally a disaster. Many have complained but there has been no change.

You are generally better off ordering from B&H or another reputable dealer. B&H shows it in stock: Pentax smc FA 645 35mmf/3.5 AL IF Lens 26910 B&H Photo Video Or is that the old version?
That's not the new D-FA version. The new lens is fantastic and has great edge-to-edge sharpness.
12-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarnian Quote
That's not the new D-FA version. The new lens is fantastic and has great edge-to-edge sharpness.
My mistake.

12-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They're actually going back to running the website in house, hence the mess.

Seriously though, I can't see any advantage to ordering through the Ricoh site over B&H, simply because of slower (on average) processing and shipping times.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #9

I ordered mine from B&H on 16 Nov, still on back order. No delivery date as yet. But I got it at such a good price I can wait.

A few days ago I saw a Japanese eBay seller offering one for AUD5,500 (about US4,000). No thanks.
12-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're actually going back to running the website in house, hence the mess.
That is very good news, (I hope). At least they are taking responsibility for the site.
12-30-2015, 12:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is very good news, (I hope). At least they are taking responsibility for the site.
Not trying to be too snarky, but it would be even better if they'd take responsibility for the RESULTS regardless of who runs what.

They farm out the website? They farm out online sales? The customer should never know that. Ricoh/Pentax should immediately insure customer satisfaction by twisting the arm of their contractor to come through. Or penalizing the contractor and making it up to the customer when the contractor fails.

They farm out the repairs? The customer doesn't need to know that either. Ricoh/Pentax should monitor their repair contractors' results (time in to time out, cost, services delivered, etc) and insure compliance with a high set of standards which Rocoh/Pentax sets. Constant reporting from the contractor to R/P and constant reviews of the results and quality delivered. Surveys of customer satisfaction after items are returned to their customers to insure good results.

Those are just such basic contractor assurance measures taken by most every corporation. Are they so "light" a US presence that they have no one to handle these things?
12-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Looked overhere and it is in stock in 1 shop.
12-30-2015, 03:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Not trying to be too snarky, but it would be even better if they'd take responsibility for the RESULTS regardless of who runs what.

They farm out the website? They farm out online sales? The customer should never know that. Ricoh/Pentax should immediately insure customer satisfaction by twisting the arm of their contractor to come through. Or penalizing the contractor and making it up to the customer when the contractor fails.

They farm out the repairs? The customer doesn't need to know that either. Ricoh/Pentax should monitor their repair contractors' results (time in to time out, cost, services delivered, etc) and insure compliance with a high set of standards which Rocoh/Pentax sets. Constant reporting from the contractor to R/P and constant reviews of the results and quality delivered. Surveys of customer satisfaction after items are returned to their customers to insure good results.

Those are just such basic contractor assurance measures taken by most every corporation. Are they so "light" a US presence that they have no one to handle these things?
People that are regularly online will find out whether certain aspects are farmed out pretty easily.

You need to be far less idealistic and far more realistic.

Repairs? In the UK, if you send things to Pentax they will then be shipped to Johnson's Photopia from their European office in France. You want people to send things internationally instead of directly to Johnson's in Staffordshire? Really? You'd rather Pentax were dishonest about using an agent to handle repairs (much of the medium format they are simply sending it on to Japan but I was able to drop off my 645Z for a sensor clean go for lunch and come back). Not only that you'd prefer that they were so dishonest that you wouldn't know? So also a risk a product you send doesn't reach its destination?

Companies regularly farm out certain things as it is more cost effective. That helps to keep prices more reasonable.

---------- Post added 12-30-15 at 04:09 AM ----------

Meanwhile I received an email from Ricoh UK store today to say that the DFA 35 is now in stock

Last edited by itshimitis; 12-30-2015 at 04:10 AM.
12-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #14

Original Poster

I generally avoid manufacturer sites because they don't have the online fulfillment experience of BHPhoto or Amazon. In this case Ricoh offered a 20% discount on this lens on Black Friday. The deal seemed too good to pass up.
12-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
They should knock $1200 off the price, for your troubles - I think.
I hope you're not being serious. Annoying it is certainly, but a massive reduction like that? Get real! Reduced to less than $400 because of a mistake in shipping date? We would all end up paying for that through increased prices.