Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

is the pentax 67ii NOT a cold weather camera?

I have used my 67ii for many years taking great photos in lots of places. But I am really having issues in cold weather. last week I did a day trip to yosemite as the weather was perfect for the day. cold but clear with spotty white fulffy clouds that gave way to overcast grey and white awesome clouds. anyway....

just like the other times I have taken the camera out in cold/cool conditions (its was 38 degrees outside but dry. no snow or rain) and got the dreaded e-20 code. while its not listed in the manual what it actually means, I think its either dead battery or static electricity. so like I always do, I replaced the batteries with new ones. I always bring 5 sets of batteries when i use this camera in the cold. that of course, does not do the trick. you also need to open the camera back to, what I assume is to get rid of the static charge, otherwise the camera does not work. Again, this is just my view of the problem. I wish I could figure out what the issue really is. I had 3 other cameras with me as I have come to expect this issue with this camera and none of them had any issues at all. they were a mamiya 6, nikon f5 and a nikon fm3a

Its a great camera to use, but really sucks getting 1 or 2 shots on a roll and then having the camera die. I have cracked the camera back enough to reset it then tried finishing the roll, but the rest of the shots on the roll are severely under exposed, like nothing is on the neg. I would hate to have to limit this camera to a warm climate camera but I am done shooting it and wasting the film. otherwise the camera works great.

any thoughts or ideas?

thanks
john

01-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by destroya Quote
its was 38 degrees outside but dry. no snow or rain)
The P67II is rate for use between +50C and -10C (122F to 14F) so it should be OK using it at 38F. Not sure what the problem could be.

Phil.
01-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Perhaps also get a manual camera that takes no batteries.

I haven't used my Pentax 6x7 in extreme cold but have used it many, many times in conditions like the following with no problem. If it is really cold I take the battery cage out and and put it in my pocket. And I use the folding hood so I don't have to worry about the light meter needing "juice".

01-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to live in greenland and my 67ii have never had a winter problem up there, thus my guess would be that it is an issue with your specific camera.

Have you tried having it serviced?

01-04-2016, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
38 F is not very cold and should fall well within the operating range of most cameras. I bet your camera has another problem. It's possible cold makes it worse but if it was working properly 38 should be no problem.
01-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
I thought it was just me but hoping otherwise. Guess its time to get it serviced. any places to recommend?
01-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought it was just me but hoping otherwise. Guess its time to get it serviced. any places to recommend?
I think Ricoh will still fix the 67ii bodies, best check with them. I don't think Eric does any longer.

Phil.

01-05-2016, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used two 67ii's on three winter trips to Inner Mongolia, where it was frequently in the -20 to -30 (Celsius) range and had no problems whatever with the camera. And, despite having spares, never even had batteries run low! (Lithium is amazing). The only problems I had were with the lenses (aperture blades buckling in the cold!). But the bodies just kept on going.

So I am sorry to say that it's probably your specific body.
10-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
update,

I used the camera for a long time before the same issue came up again. but I think I narrowed it down. it only happens with slow shutter speeds of 1/30 or slower. by guess is its a mirror issue, that holding it up for the entire curtain to open is the cause. this is only a guess as the sync speed is 1/30 and it only happens with this speed or slower. wasted 2 rolls of APX 25 on location to figure it out, but hopefully it was worth it

I contacted pentax and they no longer support or work on any film cameras and Eric does not work on the 67ii as well. so I gotta find either a way to fix the issue myself or find a repair location that knows the issue and can fix it.

any thoughts?
10-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It is possible that your second curtain is not following correctly at slower speeds due to cold weather.
10-13-2018, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any thoughts?
Advance Camera near Portland, Oregon might be able to help.

Advance Camera Repair

Steve
10-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
and Eric does not work on the 67ii as well
That's interesting...

I have used my Pentax 67 in minus 6°c temps at the snow this September without any problem — if anything, it was me who complained about the cold!!
I do not know about the 67II, but a separate cold-weather battery attachment is available for the 6x7 / 67 which allows for a battery to be kept in your pocket, tethered to the 6x7 / 67 by a cord. You might also want to try a lithium battery to get some leeway over cold weather performance.
10-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
That's interesting...

I have used my Pentax 67 in minus 6°c temps at the snow this September without any problem — if anything, it was me who complained about the cold!!
I do not know about the 67II, but a separate cold-weather battery attachment is available for the 6x7 / 67 which allows for a battery to be kept in your pocket, tethered to the 6x7 / 67 by a cord. You might also want to try a lithium battery to get some leeway over cold weather performance.

its not the cold weather that is the issue. I ran an empty roll of backing paper thru at all shutter speeds. was 80+ yesterday. at all speeds slower than 1/30 i got the error code. so for now if i need to use the camera, its color film for me as my shutter speeds are usually over 1/60 a second or faster. gonna wait a month before I send it out for repair as we are getting into the tree color changing season.

just wish I could find a way to fix/repair it myself

---------- Post added 10-15-18 at 10:40 AM ----------

interesting........

I took out the camera to play with it a little more, trying to trouble shoot it. same issues with slow speeds. Tried bulb, and it does not lock up, returning the mirror right away. so thought, maybe its a magnet issue with the mirror or some other "charge" issue with the magnets. So tried using the ps time switch to see if maybe the magnets are dead. mirror stayed up. huh. closed the switch and did it again, this time letting it stay open for 5 minutes. closed the mirror, took out the batteries and let the camera sit for 5 minutes. put batteries back in, reloaded some backing paper and....

it seems to be working now. huh. maybe there was a charge or some other thing messing up the magnet thats used to hold open the mirror, or some other issue. but the Timed mirro up seems to maybe have reset the magnet (at least thats what Im hoping). any thoughts on what happened??
10-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sounds like it could be similar to the reset button operation of the 6x7 & 67 perhaps?
11-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #15

Couple of ideas

Try a different brand/ type of battrie
Clean all contacts in battrie compartment