Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hang on, Mike ... the controller of course has to support P-TTL, too, which is manufacturer specific. HSS requires it.

Someone who owns both a 645Z and a Pentax crop camera could take an inexpensive hit for the team and try the Acon.
The Rovelight 600 it is a manual flash unit no TTL, yet it's controller supports HSS in manual mode and is manufacturer agnostic. Works on any camera set in manual mode at any shutter speed up 1/4000. It works with all the cameras I have in my stable, Nikon and Canon - why because in manual mode the flash connector (hot shoe or sync) is open and just fires regardless of the shutter speed. Not so with the 645z it is smart enough to recognize there is something sitting in the hot shoe and automatically sets the shutter seed to 1/125th.

If Pentax would be kind enough to issue a firmware update to not do this we could enjoy HSS with high power units like the Rovelight which is way more powerful than any of the Pentax shoe mounted flash.

01-15-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I tried it with the Acon 930 triggers, Metz 58 AF-2, and 645D.
The first try I couldn't get the camera to allow a faster shutter than 1/125 (manual mode).
So I powered everything down and made sure to follow the power-up order correctly (receiver, flash, transmitter, camera) and it seemed to work. I took a couple of test shots at 1/160 and 1/250 and the flash fired. No results to show as it was just a test but it's promising so far.
01-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #18
Forum Member

I asked Profoto if they could find a way to make the B1's work with the Pentax 645z in HSS. Below is their response. If you are interested in HSS with the Profoto B1's, please email them and let them know.

Hey Darryl,

Thanks for reaching out to us. There isn’t a firmware fix that can be done to enable TTL and HSS for the Pentax 645z. A completely new TTL remote would have to be created using the pin structure and TTL codes from the 645z.

That being said Profoto is always looking to expand on it products that pros need to do their job. We make products based on the amount of demand we receive from the photographic world. I will make sure that your request for a Pentax Remote makes it to the product development team.

In the meantime you could always shoot with glass with leaf shutters as this is a huge advantage that medium format cameras have over 35mm dslrs. I’ve done some research and have found that people seem to be having tremendous success with the LS glass from Pentax.

I hope that helped answer your question. Let me know if you have any others.

Thank you for choosing Profoto.

Chris Fain
chris.fain@profoto.com
01-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a quick test this morning with the Acon 930 triggers, 645D, and Metz 58 AF-2.
On my first attempt I could not get the camera to go faster than 1/125 so I turned everything off and took better care to start everything up in the right order: Receiver, flash, transmitter, camera and then it all seemed to work. I took a couple of test shots at 1/160 and 1/250 and the flash fired both times. So preliminary results look positive.
I'll try to get organized to do an actual shoot using them and report back, maybe with some results.

01-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
. I took a couple of test shots at 1/160 and 1/250 and the flash fired both times. So preliminary results look positive.
I'm glad, Matt.

I pretty much knew it would - the 645Z reuses other stuff from the cropped cameras, like AF and video, why not the flash subsystem?

Let the sports shooting commence! 😀
01-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Let the sports shooting commence! 😀
Right! I've got some ideas...
01-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #22

Any more progress?

01-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #23

Original Poster
Ok, I tried it with the Acon 930 triggers, Metz 58 AF-2, and 645D.
The first try I couldn't get the camera to allow a faster shutter than 1/125 (manual mode).
So I powered everything down and made sure to follow the power-up order correctly (receiver, flash, transmitter, camera) and it seemed to work. I took a couple of test shots at 1/160 and 1/250 and the flash fired. No results to show as it was just a test but it's promising so far.
Thanks Matt I need triggers anyway so I will order some soon and see what can be done.
01-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmonaut Quote
Thanks Matt I need triggers anyway so I will order some soon and see what can be done.
Mine took a long time to come, FYI!
01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine took a long time to come, FYI!
Hey, Matt----
I am interested to see if you get these to work as well. And what do you mean by "took a long time..", exactly?
01-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Hey, Matt----
I am interested to see if you get these to work as well. And what do you mean by "took a long time..", exactly?
I haven't had the chance to really use them but hope to soon. It's been so cold here lately I haven't wanted to mess with all those sets of batteries out in the field. But now the weather is warming and I have a snow bike race and an ice skating race coming up so that may give some opportunities, depending on conditions.

I think they took about a month to arrive after I ordered. I got injured during that time so I don't know exactly when they came, but it seemed like it was via the slow boat!
01-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #27

Not sure if they are using high speed sync in this video, but its a good watch anyway!

01-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psenior1 Quote
Not sure if they are using high speed sync in this video, but its a good watch anyway!

It sure looks like it.
The flash they are using is a Phottix Indra 500 TTL which says it's for Canon and Nikon at their site but I wonder if maybe they are working on Pentax compatibility.
It was pretty bright looking for those shots by the plane and with the wind blowing the dress and her hair it seems the exposure must be faster than 1/125, don't you think?

I emailed the company with a link to the video to ask. I'll report back if I hear anything.
01-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #29

It sure looks like it.
The flash they are using is a Phottix Indra 500 TTL which says it's for Canon and Nikon at their site but I wonder if maybe they are working on Pentax compatibility.
It was pretty bright looking for those shots by the plane and with the wind blowing the dress and her hair it seems the exposure must be faster than 1/125, don't you think?

I emailed the company with a link to the video to ask. I'll report back if I hear anything.
They could be using ND's, but I hope not! Thanks for asking the question, be very interested to hear what they say.
01-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #30

I have not seen any filter on the lens (0:31), the Indra is in manual mode (0:44) and using a Strato II multi receiver (1:19) which is only available for Sony, Canon and Nikon! Unfortunately I have not seen any new gadget on the video, but the shutter speed must to be longer than 1/125.

---------- Post added 01-21-16 at 08:35 PM ----------

There is an other video (
) where the photographer using the Strato II multi receiver for Nikon at (0:13).