Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
It sure looks like it.
The flash they are using is a Phottix Indra 500 TTL which says it's for Canon and Nikon at their site but I wonder if maybe they are working on Pentax compatibility.
It was pretty bright looking for those shots by the plane and with the wind blowing the dress and her hair it seems the exposure must be faster than 1/125, don't you think?

I emailed the company with a link to the video to ask. I'll report back if I hear anything.

I have the Indra 500 and have been unsuccessful using the Odin Transmitter. With the transmitter in the hot shoe the shutter speed is pegged to 1.125th max.

The transmitter show in the Video is not an Odin, probably a Mitros trigger which may work. Hopefully you get a response from Phottix that identifies the trigger.

Cheers

Mike

04-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #32

Hello everyone!

Was eagerly reading this thread to see if a solution for High Speed Sync on the 645z can be found using more than just flash units but via strobes with long flash durations (Elinchrom S strobes, Speedotron force 10 or 103's, Prophoto, Einsteins etc...).

If the acon r930 is achieving HSS with the 645z using pentax/metz flash units (the 645z detects the acon trans-sending unit as a PTTL flash when attached to the hotshoe and allowing the camera shutter speed to go beyond 125th).

In that case would attaching any other HSS transmitter systems, like cactus/odin/indra/jinbei hd 600 etc..... on top of the acon receiving unit (instead of metz/pentax flash) trigger the HSS functionality of these other systems as well?

My understanding was that any non PTTL devices on top of the 645z automatically makes the camera restrict the max sync shutter speed to 125th, except for the acon r930.

And yes I do know about the priolites but they are an expensive proposition for me right now.

I would love to get any feedback from the group.

Cheers to all!
07-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #33

Here is an update for anyone considering the Acon r930p wireless system to get HSS or High Shutter Sync or Hi Sync (whatever the proper term is lol!) with the pentax 645z and studio Strobes (l used Speedotron 103 heads).

Very happy to share the news that it works all the way to 4000/s with very little or no gradient and or banding. Totally usable with oudoors shoot.

All you need to do is ask the Acon support for a special firmware they have created to be used with 645z and studio storbes.

If anyone has any questions just PM me.

Cheers!
07-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #34

I was able to use the ACON R930 transmitter on my 645D and two (from camera separated) AF540FGZ with the ACON R930 receivers, and HSS worked for me up to 1/4000sec in PTTL mode only (manual not possible). Thanks for the info on the firmware for studio strobes, that would be cool!
(Once ON, push "CH" for a few sec, then top button until light no.4 is on, then "CH" again. This is the PTTL/HSS modus...

07-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax31 Quote
HSS worked for me up to 1/4000sec in PTTL mode only (manual not possible). ...

HSS relies on P-TTL in all Pentax cameras.
07-14-2016, 06:07 AM   #36

Yes, you have to "select" this (PTTL) mode on the R930...
07-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #37

I was able to use HSS off camera with my Metz 50AF-1(Pentax version ) and 645z using a new Cactus V6II. Interestingly I could not use HSS with Metz on camera.

07-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Goreturist Quote
I was able to use HSS off camera with my Metz 50AF-1(Pentax version ) and 645z using a new Cactus V6II. Interestingly I could not use HSS with Metz on camera.
Hey Goreturist,

That is great new for all 645z users 2 different triggers the ACON and the Cactus v6 II both working with the pentax to get past 1/125th.

Do you think that the Cactus will be able to trigger a studio strobe (using cable) instead of a flash mounted on it? And with the Metz flash/Cactus how fast were you able to go up with the shutter speed?

With the ACON r930p I am able to get all they way to 1/4000th with much issues. Would love to hear from you.

Cheers!
07-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cosmonaut Quote
I have looked at those but they are really costly.
HSS isn't cheap. I just gave up and use my Leica S2 for outdoor on location work, the native 1/1000th synch speed with Leica CS leaf shutter lenses remove the need for mucking about with restrictive flash settings* is rather...liberating.

*HSS places some rather hard limits on flash power levels and with HSS the GN of the flash is a fraction of its typical output. So you need even more power, or move the light source( which isn't always an option) to compensate.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-20-2016 at 07:03 AM.
07-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new Priolite Ultra looks interesting and it's not quite as expensive or big as the first generation. Hopefully the price trend will continue downward.
They are having a Kickstarter campaign for it at the moment.
07-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #41

The new Priolite Ultra looks interesting and it's not quite as expensive or big as the first generation. Hopefully the price trend will continue downward.
I bought a MBX500HS light about 6 weeks ago and they're really solidly built. I've been very impressed with it overall so far and signed up for a second light from the kickstarter campaign.
07-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by iancx Quote
Hey Goreturist,

That is great new for all 645z users 2 different triggers the ACON and the Cactus v6 II both working with the pentax to get past 1/125th.

Do you think that the Cactus will be able to trigger a studio strobe (using cable) instead of a flash mounted on it? And with the Metz flash/Cactus how fast were you able to go up with the shutter speed?

With the ACON r930p I am able to get all they way to 1/4000th with much issues. Would love to hear from you.

Cheers!
Up to 1/4000 no problems as well.As far as strobes go,reading from the manual it says you can trigger them using the cable,but would not be able to remotely control the power.So it looks like it would be dumb trigger with the strobes.
Hope this helps.
Vlad
07-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kickstarter is great, but there is a caveat to it: you are basically gambling with your money - there is no promise that the product released will be what it says it will be, there is no release date and there is also a chance the project won't even get off the ground to start with.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-20-2016 at 05:00 PM.
07-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Kickstarter is great, but there is a caveat to it: you are basically gambling with your money - there is no promise that the product released will be what it says it will be, there is no release date and there is also a chance the project won't even get off the ground to start with.
I know this all too well as a TriggerTrap Ada backer!

07-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this all too well as a TriggerTrap Ada backer!
ouch, I don't mean to rub it in but I backed MIOPS. Their goals for their product and its design were sensible, functional and modest. Triggertrap overreached with their product design, and also underestimated the funding required to actually go into production. This is also a problem with Kickstarter - sometimes the people managing the project are in over their heads.