Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
In very rough terms, the victim is shot during 1 in 10 armed robberies.

01-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #92
Veteran Member

since I move to japan, I never have to worry about being rob. not that they don't have robbery here but it really rare.
01-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #93
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
In Australia, leaving your keys in the ignition of an unattended car or leaving it unlocked when one is more than 3 metres (10ft) from the car will earn you a fine.
In some (many?) parts of the U.S., that will earn you a magic trick -- disappearing car.

I grew up not locking car doors, house doors, and leaving windows open at night (no bars) in a very, very quiet and (seemingly) safe rural area. The biggest threat came from cows that would hang out in the front lawn from breaking down a fence from a farm close by or maybe the coyotes. It took about 15 years before that ended when a car full of prowlers got out of a car on the street at night and proceeded to help themselves to the neighborhood. They were novices though (police nabbed them). Oh and the time some guy was shooting at a police helicopter (I think scouting for drug farms) hovering over him. Of course if someone wants to kill you or take from you, they'll find a way. But I'd rather make it less easy if I have a say in it though. So, now, doors are locked at all times. Strange world..
01-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmonaut Quote
Little River Canyon
Alabama? I will be goin there at some point...lil bit of a ride from huntsville.......I worry more about a pack of coyotes than anything in some of the fields I go to at night......but on one occasion at night along the Tennessee river (part of the wheeler nwa) between rockhouse and jolly b had a fellow mess around with my truck......asked him what he was doin and he said 'lookin for my keys'....I says 'I do not think your keys are in my truck, is there anything else I can help you with?' finally he walked off....all I had was my mag flashlight (which is all I ever have).....I have not gone back at night by myself nor can I get anyone to go with me.............this is why I prefer to shoot on private property after getting permission to be there....I feel much safer especially at night.......most are perplexed when asked but after showing them some pictures I get the ok (most of the time) and after giving them a print or 2 I get you are welcome here anytime....some prefer a call first, others it's not necessary and 1 farmer has even given me a key to a field gate
I will not carry because I will shoot and kill someone....along the same lines I will not own or ride a motorcycle.....I simply cannot trust myself

01-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
t on one occasion at night along the Tennessee river (part of the wheeler nwa) between rockhouse and jolly b had a fellow mess around with my truck......asked him what he was doin and he said 'lookin for my keys'....I says 'I do not think your keys are in my truck, is there anything else I can help you with?' finally he walked off....all I had was my mag flashlight (which is all I ever have)
I had a similar experience in Derby in north west Australia. I came out of the shower to find an aborigine rifling through my bags. I asked him what he was doing and got the usual non-committal reply. I chased him out of my motel room and up the street. I didn't care that I was naked, I'm too old to be embarrassed..

Legal CCW is virtually impossible here - something that even the US Secret Service find when they arrive with the US President.

Carrying a knife, even a pocket knife or Leatherman and even in one's bag, is also illegal. That annoys me as I carried a Swiss Army Knife on my belt for over 20 years until it became illegal.

edit: Pepper spray is also illegal here.

Last edited by p38arover; 01-12-2016 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Added more info
01-11-2016, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #96
mee
Veteran Member

I had a similar experience in Derby in north west Australia. I came out of the shower to find an aborigine rifling through my bags. I asked him what he was doing and got the usual non-committal reply. I chased him out of my motel room and up the street. I didn't care that I was naked, I'm too old to be embarrassed..

Legal CCW is virtually impossible here - something that even the US Secret Service find when they arrive with the US President.

Carrying a knife, even a pocket knife or Leatherman and even in one's bag, is also illegal. That annoys me as I carried a Swiss Army Knife on my belt for over 20 years until it became illegal.
No wonder he visited the US

01-12-2016, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your leaders should just do what we did here is Australia, get rid of the guns.

I have never had any problem out shooting, although I do worry about it on some occasions. About the only thing you have to worry about here would perhaps be a guy with a knife, or a gang. Either way I would happily drop my heavy bag and run the other way. If they chase me down and knife me, well I didn't stand a chance either way.

You are more likely to have somebody kill you with your own knife if you carry one. All but the very best trained people are somewhat useless with knives.

All this talk makes you realise how prolific crime is, no matter where you are.

01-12-2016, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in Norway and I feel pretty safe. Few weeks ago I got a bit dizzy after a few beers and forgot my photo backpack in a bar. I had the camera and all the lenses inside, so that would have been a big deal. Next day I found it exactly where I left it, they didn't even move it.
01-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
In Canada you need an F A C (Firearms Acquisition and Possession Permit) before you can buy any guns or ammunition any where and any time (Private or Public sales) . No Automatic weapons of any kind and Magazines are limted for Hunting purposes and any Large Mags are hard to find.
A handling & Safety course must be taken and a Background check and non related sponsors are required as well as your spouses signature saying you are not Nuts. This is done every 5 years no charge by the Federal Gov'nt. You can not carry Short Barrel other than to a regulated range except for special permits issued to Prospectors ,Trappers & Bush Pilots. With the exception of illegal guns (mostly smuggled in from the USA) the System seems to work fairly well not perfect but a very good step forward.
Your chances of you getting robbed are far greater in Canada by some one with an Edged Weapon and a Tire Iron is your response.

Have never needed my long or short barrelled weapons to take pictures Urban or Field in 50 years!

For the Life of me I Cannot understand Why a Grown Man (NRA ,father , Grandfather , Brother) would stand up for the Rights of a Nut Job to possess and to Murder 21 Children and their Teachers without trying to find a solution to said Nut Jobs possession of lethal weapons.
01-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
chances of you getting robbed are far greater in Canada by some one with an Edged Weapon and a Tire Iron is your response.
...or an ice hockey stick.
01-12-2016, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
My wife took my hockey stick and broke it in half so I'm left to maybe Jerseying the Scoundrel. For the less worldly that is Canadian Hockey thing where you pull the opponents Jersey over his or her head and pummel the snot out of him until he or she calls for his or her mommy!
01-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #102
Veteran Member

A long time ago there was a DPR thread on this topic, and this was one of my favorite responses:
The old, “I am being stalked by a serial killer chestnut, eh? Well in the absence of a gun, knife, sword, tactical nuclear weapon or any other reasonable means of self defence; I recommend the, “I’m crazier than you ploy. “

The secret to the success of this ploy lies in the preparation. All that is needed is a bottle of tomato ketchup( or stage blood), a pack of antacid tablets and a rubber knife of the long bladed kitchen variety.

When on location you feel that an attack from a shifty looking passerby is imminent, swiftly crouch down and smear the contents of the bottle of tomato ketchup over your hands, face and the blade of the rubber knife.

Next, place 5 or so of antacid tablets in your mouth and chew vigorously, and try not to swallow. When this is done leap up, brandishing the ketchup laden rubber knife high in the air and scream in a hysterical voice, “Oh, mother the blood, the blood.” This causes the pre masticated antacid tablets to be expelled explosively from ones mouth, an effect not dissimilar to that of a rabid dog.

Expert practitioners of this method manage to throw in a violent head/eye twitch and a high pitched giggle at this point to complete the effect but practise is required and I recommend you keep it simple. However, the effect on passersby is simply astonishing and this ploy should not in densely crowded areas as fatalities may occur in the ensuing pandemonium.

Any self respecting homicidal maniac will immediately realise he has been upstaged and vacate the area at once. On a photographic note; and we are a photographic forum after all, this ploy lends itself rather nicely to those not to be missed but hard to get deserted urban landscapes scenes we all love and admire.

This ploy is not without its negative aspects, however, and once this ploy is used the will never have any friends, your partner and children will leave you and expect regular visits from a police physiatrist but I am sure you will agree that it is a small price to pay when it comes to personal safety whilst pursuing your hobby.
Oh really! what a waste of antacid tablets- ONE aka seltzer tablet will do the same thing!

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 10:55 AM ----------

edit: Pepper spray is also illegal here.
So as in so many countries only the bad guys have can defend themselves because their the only one with weapons- why, because they don't give a s..t about the law- and the law abiding become their soft targets.
And as a LEO when you call me I can't get their in time to help, all I can do is take your statement assuming your still alive to talk. I realize only the trained should have a CCW but you ought to be able to carry something less lethal for personal defense.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 11:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
In Canada you need an F A C (Firearms Acquisition and Possession Permit) before you can buy any guns or ammunition any where and any time (Private or Public sales) . No Automatic weapons of any kind and Magazines are limted for Hunting purposes and any Large Mags are hard to find.
A handling & Safety course must be taken and a Background check and non related sponsors are required as well as your spouses signature saying you are not Nuts. This is done every 5 years no charge by the Federal Gov'nt. You can not carry Short Barrel other than to a regulated range except for special permits issued to Prospectors ,Trappers & Bush Pilots. With the exception of illegal guns (mostly smuggled in from the USA) the System seems to work fairly well not perfect but a very good step forward.
Your chances of you getting robbed are far greater in Canada by some one with an Edged Weapon and a Tire Iron is your response.

Have never needed my long or short barrelled weapons to take pictures Urban or Field in 50 years!

For the Life of me I Cannot understand Why a Grown Man (NRA ,father , Grandfather , Brother) would stand up for the Rights of a Nut Job to possess and to Murder 21 Children and their Teachers without trying to find a solution to said Nut Jobs possession of lethal weapons.
That is a problem here in the US the far right and the liberals will fight against this for 2 equally asinine reasons. The far right fears the slippery slope and gov't doing what Australia did taking all guns so the citizens will have no protections against a dictator don't laugh too much this is what Hitler did. The liberals are more worried about the privacy of the poor nut jobs so they won't go along with reasonable background checks either. Both sides are wrong imo.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 11:07 AM ----------

Hockey sticks scare me they should be outlawed. I feel the same way about clowns.
01-12-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote

I have never had any problem out shooting, although I do worry about it on some occasions. About the only thing you have to worry about here would perhaps be a guy with a knife, or a gang. Either way I would happily drop my heavy bag and run the other way. If they chase me down and knife me, well I didn't stand a chance either way.

You are more likely to have somebody kill you with your own knife if you carry one. All but the very best trained people are somewhat useless with knives.

All this talk makes you realise how prolific crime is, no matter where you are.
Makes me think of Jim Jefferies:

01-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Amen!

I refuse to. I'm not some macho dude, but I refuse to live in fear of "what may happen." In most of my living situations I only locked doors at night or when away. I'm now in a shared living situation; the guy is from Brooklyn, and he can't keep enough dead bolts flipped.

---------- Post added 01-11-16 at 09:04 PM ----------

I read that as quite contradictory. You will, you won't.
Part of the conversation was talking about someone breaking into your car or running off with your camera if you put it down in that case I won't shoot someone over a camera partly because it's not warranted and partly because it would not be legal. If someone confronts me it becomes robbery not theft and I have a right to defend myself and I will. So there is NO contradiction.
Maybe the guy from Brooklyn learned the hard way. Do you text while crossing the street?, odds are you won't get hit by a car.
01-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
That is a problem here in the US the far right and the liberals will fight against this for 2 equally asinine reasons
No matter how many Generations we are out of the trees and how long ago we stopped dragging our knuckles on the ground we
still havn't learned how to fix STUPID.
Closed Thread