Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Do you fear being robbed?

I read on another forum that someone had their 645z stolen while out using it. In the past I thought I was going to be robbed twice. Once I thought it was my car two guys were after. From where I was at, down a bank, I heard them pull up and get out of their car and they were talking about my car. Even though I was down the bank and couldn't be seen I was only a few feet from them. It takes a walk down a jetty and back up to get where I was at. It was a Sunday morning at the lake and at that time of morning no one has ever gave me cause to worry. I have been shooting in that spot for years. My keys were in the ignition, windows down and gear in the back seat. At the time I was shooting with my D800 and not the Pentax. When the two guys realized where I was at they took off and were in a car of the same model as mine, which makes me think they were after my car for parts or something.
So the next day I went to see a friend that owned a gun store, I have known him ever since I was a very little kid. He told me to get a conceal carry permit and start carrying when I was out. I know it's a tough issue lately but I was raised around guns and hunters and can handle a gun even though I could never kill anything and have never been a hunter. So now most of the time I carry. I have even had a couple of firearm classes once in high school. The gun store owner also warned me about Little River Canyon when I bought a gun that day, he had heard that cars were being broken into from customers. Which leads me to event two, fast forward one year. Most often when I go to the falls it's early on a Sunday and I am in and out before anyone ever shows up. I hike in and it takes a couple of hours tops. So I go to Little River and when I get into the parking lot I was the only car there. It was just before light. A truck came into the lot that at first I thought it was a Park truck but then I realized it wasn't. It came in and slowly circled me twice and left, in a hurry. I really think they may have been checking me out to break into my car. Yes I was carrying at the time.
This is not meant to be a political post about gun control but a post about your fear of being robbed or hurt. Is it an issue when you go out shooting? Are you scared of losing your gear or being robbed or thought you were going to be robbed? Do you protect yourself, don't go by yourself? What? I know some of you have been to the areas I have been and realize it's a far cry from city streets. I mean your carrying $10,000 around your neck. You have to think about it, right?

01-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good point. There are lots of assaults and armed robberies in National and State parks these days in the USA. My brother is a park ranger and tells me about them all the time.
01-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmonaut Quote
I mean your carrying $10,000 around your neck.
I'm slightly worried, but I'm only carrying $700 of gear at a time (about 500 USD).
I do carry a knife all the time (it's not that useful for self defense) which gives me self-thought security against wild animals (I hike a LOT).
01-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Where is this Little River Canyon? I guess I'd find a different place if it is so often a target of thieves, because if you are up the canyon your vehicle and it's contents are fair game to these people. And if you come back and find them going through your car you can't just shoot them (legally} for breaking into your car unless you are in it. Also make sure you are well versed in your state's Castle and stand your ground, or self defense laws.

I carry a tactical folder at all times and a 40 cal most of the time

---------- Post added 01-10-2016 at 02:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm slightly worried, but I'm only carrying $700 of gear at a time (about 500 USD).
I do carry a knife all the time (it's not that useful for self defense) which gives me self-thought security against wild animals (I hike a LOT).
Hey Bert the knife is probably a much better self defense tool against people than any kind of animal that would attack you. Then again maybe you got some really mean bunnies up there in BC.

01-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

I've had a gun flashed at me while on a shoot (I was assisting to an oblivious photographer), though I think that was more of a territorial issue than an a mugging attempt. I've also had a group of guys follow myself, another photographer, and a scantily clad model while out on a shoot (which we promptly wrapped up). But the first time I was out with my Z, I was walking through a questionable neighborhood (you had to walk through the ghetto to get to my nice hotel) and had a guy stop on the street and size me up while checking out my camera. He did this three times before making eye contact where I subtly let him know that an attempt would not end well for him. Since then, I've thought about getting a conceal/carry permit but I live in California and that is nearly impossible to do out here. I'm not a gun fan per se, but it's something to think about when you're regularly carrying $20k in gear around.
01-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Hey Bert the knife is probably a much better self defense tool against people than any kind of animal that would attack you. Then again maybe you got some really mean bunnies up there in BC.
I would use it for self defense against humans if I have to...

More worried about cougars/bears than bunnies... a knife isn't much against them but it's better than nothing.

What I find funny is that the US has tighter knife laws than Canada.
01-10-2016, 11:39 AM - 4 Likes   #7

What a country to live in. In Holland it is not a big problem, people are not allowed to carry guns. Maybe it is a bit boring here, but also pretty safe.

01-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Carry not an option where I am, but even if I had the right I would not feel the need to exercise it.

Remember, OP, when you carry, that if you have to draw you will almost certainly be obliged to shoot, and if you have to shoot, there is every likelihood you will wind up killing the person you are forced to open fire on (even if you only "shoot to stop"). The result of the subsequent trial notwithstanding, it'll be something you have to live with if you are the one who comes out on top.

If you can't face that, don't carry.
01-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DutchGonzo Quote
What a country to live in. In Holland it is not a big problem, people are not allowed to carry guns. Maybe it is a bit boring here, but also pretty safe.
Don't let one post and a crazy reply paint a picture. Outside the largest cities (where gun control is the strictest) America is quite safe. Holland is probably riskier.

Of course it helps to stay out of certain areas but that's been true for the entire history of hominids.
01-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would use it for self defense against humans if I have to...

More worried about cougars/bears than bunnies... a knife isn't much against them but it's better than nothing.

What I find funny is that the US has tighter knife laws than Canada.
I know what you are saying about knife laws but it varies a lot from state to state. As I understand it your guns laws are much more restrictive than in most of our states. I might be tempted to carry one of those cans of bear spray if a gun was not allowed. I'm thinking you better have a really big knife especially with the little bitty bears you have what do they call them Grizzlies?
01-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I might be tempted to carry one of those cans of bear spray if a gun was not allowed
I carry one when hiking.
As I understand it your guns laws are much more restrictive than in most of our states
Yes
d. I'm thinking you better have a really big knife especially with the little bitty bears you have what do they call them Grizzlies?
Bigger isn't always better...
5" fixed blade.
01-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

In much of Canada, firearms are easier to obtain than in some parts of the US right now (once you have a possession and acquisition licence, which is not much of a problem for the law abiding). The major issues revolve around what you're allowed to do with them - and how they are to be transported. Taking them to the range is not a problem, but handgun hunting is not permitted and carriage for self-defence is also off the table, there are magazine capacity limits, and there are wildlife laws that put limits on what calibres can be used to hunt what game (by and large the latter are not unreasonable). As a sporting shooter, I have never had a problem with any of this.
01-10-2016, 12:00 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DutchGonzo Quote
Sure just like in France, and nobody ever assaults anybody in Holland especially all the really nice immigrants you have.
01-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
Where is this Little River Canyon? I guess I'd find a different place if it is so often a target of thieves, because if you are up the canyon your vehicle and it's contents are fair game to these people. And if you come back and find them going through your car you can't just shoot them (legally} for breaking into your car unless you are in it. Also make sure you are well versed in your state's Castle and stand your ground, or self defense laws.

I carry a tactical folder at all times and a 40 cal most of the time

---------- Post added 01-10-2016 at 02:19 PM ----------

I hate to stop going and know better than to fire on anyone unless I was being charged or shot at first. The gear is one thing my life another. I carry a Ruger LC9s and practice often as I can. My first line of defense is a knife clipped to the inside of my pocket. The firearm is only a have to thing.
01-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I carry one when hiking.

Yes

Bigger isn't always better...
5" fixed blade.
Actually I was thinking of a 5 or 6 inch fixed blade, personally I like the Cold Steel tanto.

---------- Post added 01-10-2016 at 03:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmonaut Quote
I hate to stop going and know better than to fire on anyone unless I was being charged or shot at first. The gear is one thing my life another. I carry a Ruger LC9s and practice often as I can. My first line of defense is a knife clipped to the inside of my pocket. The firearm is only a have to thing.
Sounds like you are doing about all you can. So where is this place I live in N. Michigan so the canyon doesn't ring a bell for me.
Closed Thread