Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everywhere in Europe carrying a gun/knife and any sort of object usable for kill or using violence is strictly prohibited. This applies also to tools (i.e.: an hammer/a cutter) if you carry it not during your professional activity (for what there're intended to). Doing that equals to a straight condamn in a trial.
You have to fear the man behind the gun, not the gun itself. Few people are prepared/experienced to face a high risk situation when someone is pointing a gun towards you (and eventual reaction as offended person). It's a common problem also for professionals of security.
Please, don't carry around guns. For yours and other's safety.
Thanks

01-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't let one post and a crazy reply paint a picture. Outside the largest cities (where gun control is the strictest) America is quite safe. Holland is probably riskier.

Of course it helps to stay out of certain areas but that's been true for the entire history of hominids.
This is correct. Where I shoot is really safe. I have been going to these places since I was a child. But two events in one year makes me worry for certain. It only takes once.
01-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
carriage for self-defence is also off the table
Yep, also you can't carry knives for self defense, but you can use them for self defense.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Actually I was thinking of a 5 or 6 inch fixed blade, personally I like the Cold Steel tanto.
I am actually about to make my own knife from a blank steel stock.
01-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
In much of Canada, firearms are easier to obtain than in some parts of the US right now (once you have a possession and acquisition licence, which is not much of a problem for the law abiding). The major issues revolve around what you're allowed to do with them - and how they are to be transported. Taking them to the range is not a problem, but handgun hunting is not permitted and carriage for self-defence is also off the table, there are magazine capacity limits, and there are wildlife laws that put limits on what calibres can be used to hunt what game (by and large the latter are not unreasonable). As a sporting shooter, I have never had a problem with any of this.
So let me see if I got this right- If you are going in the backcountry in Canada to photograph you would need to take a large cal rifle for "just in case a grizzly mistakes you for a pork chop" just seems a lot to carry. Here a large cal handgun and open carry in the woods is ok. However where I am we don't have cougar or or grizzly, and black bear and solve problems are almost unheard of. I certainly understand the need for rules re: using certain cal for certain game ( I am not a hunter of animals). We do the same thing here i.e. you can't go deer hunting with a .22.

01-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My God I'm glad I live in the Great Northwest! My Long guns & short barreled stuff stay locked up except when I'm hunting or target shooting. I only have to worry about large critters and with that in mind I do a lot of Quadding so I have air horns (Bear Horns) that I blast every once in a while in the deep woods to let them know I'm coming. A can of Wasp Spray (Jet spray type) hatchet, knife & Small rocket fire crackers. Never had to use anything except the Air Horns so far in 70 years of bush crawling.
Now ,we do have the thieving kind of critters. Our kind generally use cover of darkness and run like hell when the lights come on.
I had experience with said Thieves 2 years ago. I was moving my gear to the summer residence and left it all overnight in my Truck. All was stolen ( My flagship was a K200D kit lens WR battery grips 600 mm sigma mirror lens & other lessor Cameras & glass accumulatd over the 20th century).
Upon investigating Insurance claim I found that my Home Owners not my Auto had replacement value for all of it less $500.00 deduct. See my Signature for Up-To-Date gear list. $9200.00 value. Again if the dirty Thief would contact me I would like to Thankyou and take you to Dinner (anything off the Kiddies menu) and then afterwards maybe we could go target shooting.
The moral of these ramblings is leave your gats holstered and chase down your Insurance agent for a better outcome.
01-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If you are going in the backcountry in Canada to photograph you would need to take a large cal rifle for "just in case a grizzly mistakes you for a pork chop" just seems a lot to carry
Mountain guides can get licences of some sort to carry a handgun in the wild.
01-10-2016, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #22

Just to be clear, the only time I every thought I was actually going to be mugged, I was in Canada. There are desperate people all over the world (not just in the US). Anyone who chooses to carry a firearm needs to be aware that just by possessing such an item any altercation becomes a life and death situation and that is not a responsibility that should be taken lightly. While it is something that I have considered (and will continue to consider), It's very rare that my work ever takes me into situations where I don't feel safe or at least in control of the environment.

01-10-2016, 12:21 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would never risk injury or worse over a bag of camera gear.
I'd let a determined thief have it without a fight.
Cameras can be replaced but not so life and limb.
My home insurance probably covers it anyway.

Chris
01-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I would never risk injury or worse over a bag of camera gear.
I'd let a determined thief have it without a fight.
Cameras can be replaced but not so life and limb.
My home insurance probably covers it anyway.

Chris
Good point.
If you have a 645Z and lenses I would insure it if I were you anyway.
01-10-2016, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

In Germany we don't have guns and it is safe most of the time. I try to avoid bad neighborhoods. Some guys followed me once and I was sure the try to rob me. But I was wrong nothing happened. I think the best way to stay safe is not to be alone.Take a friend with you!
01-10-2016, 12:52 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in an urban area that is not the greatest. I have learned to always be aware of my surroundings and what is going on. If I am somewhere and something feels off or odd I leave. I always keep all my gear right close to me and never set it on the ground. When walking to and from my car I carry my tripod or monopod right in my hand. I use a backpack for my gear which is much harder to take than a bag. I only take what gear I can actually carry and no more. I never leave anything in my vechile. I do a lot of night photography and I do carry pepper spray just in case.

That said I have found it seems you get robed more in rural area than urban. In urban areas there us a lot going on and too many people around. When I go to more rural areas I would usually bring my dog with me unless it was a nature reserve. He loves the hikes anyways. Now he is getting older and can not walk as far.

This has been my theft deterrent for the last 6.5 years. Once someone sees a 100lb(45kg) black German Shepherd get up they tend to go the other way.

01-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yep, also you can't carry knives for self defense, but you can use them for self defense.

I am actually about to make my own knife from a blank steel stock.
Here in Michigan our knife laws are the same as yours. But get this, even if you have a concealed carry permit which I do, and feel comfortable doing as former police officer, you still can't carry a knife concealed when it's for self defense. BUT you can carry concealed and use them for self defense you just can't carry one with that intent (if that makes ANY sense, which to me it doesn't).

Making your own knife sounds cool but a little above my pay grade. What kind of steel are you using.
01-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read all the post in this thread, lots of opinions and reasons for them. For me, as a retired LEO, I am use to always conceal carry. I am not so much worried about lost of property, I will not give someone capital punishment for a crime if caught & convicted will probably receive only 30 days in jail & probation. But I am concerned about my personal safety or safety of others. Personal property is different, I have good insurance. I will take my Goldwing rig out and leave it at trail heads and be a mile away, I didn't purchase it to be left in the garage, again I have insurance.
I've thought about it and feel I won't hesitate to use deadly force to stop an attacker. Of course my equipment is probably on my body or next to me, so if some bad guy is threatening me I probably won't wait to see if they just want my stuff, or give me knife in the gut before taking my stuff. I am now 70 years old and will not do well in a physical confrontation. Always be aware of your surroundings and not be surprised.
There are times when I am alone after dark or before sunrise in parts of the city that require being constant aware of what's around you. Pepper spray is a good alternative, but don't depend on it to stop anyone. Someone who has been sprayed a few times with pepper spray learns to function through it.
01-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Making your own knife sounds cool but a little above my pay grade. What kind of steel are you using.
Not sure yet.. probably O1.
It will only cost around $20-$30 to make.
01-10-2016, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I live in an urban area that is not the greatest. I have learned to always be aware of my surroundings and what is going on. If I am somewhere and something feels off or odd I leave. I always keep all my gear right close to me and never set it on the ground. When walking to and from my car I carry my tripod or monopod right in my hand. I use a backpack for my gear which is much harder to take than a bag. I only take what gear I can actually carry and no more. I never leave anything in my vechile. I do a lot of night photography and I do carry pepper spray just in case.

That said I have found it seems you get robed more in rural area than urban. In urban areas there us a lot going on and too many people around. When I go to more rural areas I would usually bring my dog with me unless it was a nature reserve. He loves the hikes anyways. Now he is getting older and can not walk as far.

This has been my theft deterrent for the last 6.5 years. Once someone sees a 100lb(45kg) black German Shepherd get up they tend to go the other way.

Oh come on you just wanted to show off the pics of your dog. He is really great looking though. Also it would be really hard to get him into your pocket I have a Black Russian Terrier that stands 30" at the shoulder and weighs 145 lbs. So I know what a great deterrent a big dog can be. Again thanks for sharing the pics
Closed Thread